396XT questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Subliminal87

Does anyone have the car adapter for the 396xt that's listed on the scanner master website? Two reviews say it messed the scanner up and had to be sent back.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Thanks, someone told me the adapter may go bad if you always connect a different antenna to it, is that true?

I connect the scanner to a BNC coax cable on a mobile antenna when in the car, then back to a BNC antenna when carrying it.

I change BNC antennas and cables several times every day (for over 2 years on my 396XT, and over 6 years on a 396T) and have never had any problems. The included BNC adapter is very sturdy and stable.

I have never used a mobile power supply (or any power connection to the scanner).

I have four sets of Sony Eneloop batteries which I charge on a Le Crosse BC-700 charger and change/rotate batteries daily, or as needed.

I always have a spare set available, even though I continually get 10 hours per charge.

At the end of the day I leave the scanner on, volume down, to completely drain the batteries. This allows them to fully charge overnight.

Last edited:

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
I have four sets of Sony Eneloop batteries which I charge on a Le Crosse BC-700 charger and change/rotate batteries daily, or as needed.

That sounds like it would get old after a while. Always swapping batteries in and out.

Here's my setup:

Regular AA batteries in scanner. If at all possible, I always run my scanners on AC power. No noise, thanks to some ferrite beads on the power cord on my 125AT. The 396XT already has one built in.

While mobile in my car I use a cigarette lighter plug. I leave the scanner there so I won't be swapping it out all the time.

If I must run a scanner on batteries, I use headphones and turn off the backlight. A set of batteries lasts me around 3 weeks.

Subliminal87

I connect the scanner to a BNC coax cable on a mobile antenna when in the car, then back to a BNC antenna when carrying it.

I change BNC antennas and cables several times every day (for over 2 years on my 396XT, and over 6 years on a 396T) and have never had any problems. The included BNC adapter is very sturdy and stable.

I have never used a mobile power supply (or any power connection to the scanner).

I always have a spare set available, even though I continually get 10 hours per charge.

At the end of the day I leave the scanner on, volume down, to completely drain the batteries. This allows them to fully charge overnight.
Thanks for the tips!

I'll hopefully never really have it running off of the batteries alone. Does it charge the batteries while it's plugged in?

I_am_Alpha1

I use my BCD396T in my car. I can't remember where I got the cord--but it may have been radio shack cuz the tip is one of theirs (the cig plug end is mounted behind the dash only leaving plug end out). I use the stock antenna with no problems.

I did discover some cool stuff that makes this unit convenient in a car--don't know if it applies to the XT version. Install power cord to turn on with engine and off when engine is off--put batteries in scanner and set volume and Qkeys how you want them. Turn scanner off and remove the batteries. Plug in to car and start car--power on scanner. Now it will turn on and off with your car (have to manually turn it on the first time). If you want to change the startup volume you have to take it out, put in batteries, set volume, turn off, and remove batteries (have to manually turn it on in car the first time you start it).

My current car has a shelf that I just lay it on--kinda hidden by the knees. My last car, I just silicone glued a mic clip (kind that has screw holes on the top and bottom) to the dash (next to stereo) and the belt clip post fits great--the glue came off easy when I sold it.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You'll need to confirm with whoever you get the cable from, that it has the HXD chipset in the USB-1 cable. That HXD chipset is needed for Windows 8.x.

If it does, it will work, but not "right out of the box". You'll have to download some drivers, but that's something you'd have to do in any scenario.

I've got that Plugable USB to Serial port adapter from Amazon and use the original programming cable. Uniden had not began shipping USB-1 cables with the HXD chipset when I purchased it. I think if I needed to replace programming cables today, I'd opt for the USB-1 cable with the HXD chipset.

Subliminal87

You'll need to confirm with whoever you get the cable from, that it has the HXD chipset in the USB-1 cable. That HXD chipset is needed for Windows 8.x.

If it does, it will work, but not "right out of the box". You'll have to download some drivers, but that's something you'd have to do in any scenario.

I've got that Plugable USB to Serial port adapter from Amazon and use the original programming cable. Uniden had not began shipping USB-1 cables with the HXD chipset when I purchased it. I think if I needed to replace programming cables today, I'd opt for the USB-1 cable with the HXD chipset.

Thanks. The one on amazon says Prolific PL2303HX Rev D.

So I assume that will work with the Uniden cable that comes with it. I got the link for it here on RR. Someone said it worked right out of the box on windows 8. So I'm hoping that's true. It even states in the description that it works with Uniden scanners.

I really didn't want to buy a Uniden version. $30 plus $12 shipping.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Your assumption is correct - the Plugable USB/RS 232 adapter does work with the original programming cable that shipped with the Uniden scanner. That's how I'm programming my x96 scanners.

Status
Not open for further replies.