396XT Reception Poor

Status
Not open for further replies.

infohou

Hey Folks,

I uploaded a config from KevinC via Proscan and the radio does scan. However, the reception is POOR. Have 3 bars on the annoying HFD (Houston Fire Department) robot and then the signal goes away and comes back. I would call the reception choppy. Same thing for HPD.

As the 436's are out of stock I will be listening to the 396XT for a few more days. I checked and it is on the latest firmware. I did change the MFM to FM and it is still POOR.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Robert A. Ober

infohou

"is still POOR"

Put the 800mhz antenna on it and it may SLIGHTLY better but still POOR.

Any help?

Robert A. Ober

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Connect an outdoor antenna. Or try moving the scanner towards a window. You should be picking up lots of stuff in the city. Do you live out in a rural area?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The first thing I try when having reception issues is to do a weather scan.

If I hear the weather service reasonably well, that suggests my scanner is working and something else is affecting reception.

I'm presuming you've checked to see that the attenuator is off.

The list of things affecting reception is lengthy. Here are some:

1. The system you are listening to may have some temporary technical difficulty (bad antennas, antenna cables, transmitter, etc).

2. There could be something near you generating RF power creating interference. Other transmitters in the area or even something in your home such as a TV or computer.

Since this is a portable scanner, you might try going on a little road trip and getting closer to the transmitter site and see if reception improves. If it does, that's suggestive of interference around your home.

infohou

Connect an outdoor antenna. Or try moving the scanner towards a window. You should be picking up lots of stuff in the city. Do you live out in a rural area?

Nope, West side just inside the Beltway. Just took it in the car around the South Loop to i10 East to Sheldon Rd at HWY 90. Still POOR. Maybe this one is defective.

I can hear lots of stuff except the transmissions cutoff even with 3 or 4 bars.

Thanks,
Robert

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Nope, West side just inside the Beltway. Just took it in the car around the South Loop to i10 East to Sheldon Rd at HWY 90. Still POOR. Maybe this one is defective.

I can hear lots of stuff except the transmissions cutoff even with 3 or 4 bars.

Thanks,
Robert

Do you have Close Call or priority enabled?

infohou

"I'm presuming you've checked to see that the attenuator is off."

No sir, will do that.

Familiar with general reception issues. I am a HAM and IT Consultant but I appreciate all the help. Looking for things particular to this radio.

Road trip did not help.

Thanks,
Robert A. Ober

infohou

"Do you have Close Call or priority enabled?"

I did look for Close Call and do not, will check priority.

BTW, My Yaesu FT-60 has no receive issues with most local repeaters.

Thanks Again,
Robert:)

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Robert: Does the signal drop at a regular interval? If so, time the interval and tell us what it is.

infohou

"Do you have Close Call or priority enabled?"

Rechecked that and nope, thanks for the thought.

Robert: Does the signal drop at a regular interval? If so, time the interval and tell us what it is.

Hey Uniden person, Thanks for stepping in. I counted and it is not a regular interval.

To restate, I can have a four bar signal form HPD or HFD that just drops. I am thinking it has a bad capacitor or something. Disappointing, cause as I stated, the 436 is not available.

BTW, contrary to some reviews, the build quality/feel is not that great compared to my FT-60 which cost less than half of what the 396XT cost and transmits on two bands. I understand the 436 is better in that regard. Not sure the Yaesu has a higher sales volume to make the cost of manufacturing per unit lower, HAMs being a limited market.

Also, I have it now on new Duracells with no improvement. Did switch the switch.

Y'all be cool,
Robert A. Ober

JamesO

How about monitoring a NOAA Weather channel or FM broadcast to see if the problem is specific go the band or system.

Also make sure Close Call and Conventional priority is not enabled.

If the problem is global, you will have issues with NOAA Weather and Broadcast FM.

infohou

How about monitoring a NOAA Weather channel or FM broadcast to see if the problem is specific go the band or system.

Also make sure Close Call and Conventional priority is not enabled.

If the problem is global, you will have issues with NOAA Weather and Broadcast FM.

Sorry if I forgot to mention I can receive WX. CC bands were on, thought I checked that. No improvement. Not sure where "Conventional priority" is set but Priority/Set Priority is off.

And HPD is usually much better than the HFD robot but even HPD cuts out and comes back.

Ordered a 436 from HRO but of course they have none and don't know when they will get them.

Y'all remember when we used say, "Are we having fun yet?". Still like that one.

Hope you are having a fun weekend,
Robert

pyro424

infohou: what is the history of this radio? Did you buy it second hand or have you owned it since new? I am curious. Thanks

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Bought it a week ago new at the Radio Shack on Westheimer near Montrose in Houston.

Take it EZ,
Robert

I'm going to venture your radio works as designed. Very few radios work well on simulcast.You are also trying to listen to a site that wasn't designed for in-building or in-vehicle coverage...double whammy.

I can only speak for myself and my BCD436HP, but it works quite well on the system you are trying to monitor.

wtp

hold time and delay

hold time is how long it stays on a system. this wil cause the 4 bar to 0 bar thing but only when there is no transmission
however the delay time can be changed to a negative number that will make the radio scan (drop out)
so make sure that they are set to a good number like 2 and are not negative.

Status
Not open for further replies.