396XT Replacement Batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
Seems like my 396XT only gives 2-3 hours out of a set of batteries at a moderate volume, not a lot of transmissions.
I've replaced them at least once, no notable improvement. The device is set to charge for 9 hours.
Can anyone suggest a brand/type of batteries they've had good run times with? or is 2-3 hours it?
If so that's a disappointment. Thank y'all.

mule1075

Feed Provider
Seems like my 396XT only gives 2-3 hours out of a set of batteries at a moderate volume, not a lot of transmissions.
I've replaced them at least once, no notable improvement. The device is set to charge for 9 hours.
Can anyone suggest a brand/type of batteries they've had good run times with? or is 2-3 hours it?
If so that's a disappointment. Thank y'all.
Eneloops for batteries and I highly recommend buying a external charger.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
thanx but I've heard the external charger thing for years. I'll take the risk.

Can anyone give an expected runtime for the Eneloops? Thanx

sallen07

Premium Subscriber
thanx but I've heard the external charger thing for years. I'll take the risk.

Which risk? That one of the batteries will overheat in the scanner? Slight but real.

Or that you'll shorten the life of the batteries and get poor performance? That's a given.

The problem with the charger in the 396XT is that it's a "dumb" charger, and just stays on until the timer runs out. Chances are very good that you are overcharging your batteries on a regular basis (maybe every day!) since the scanner will continue to put charging voltage across the batteries even if they are fully charged. That could, but probably won't, result in one of them overheating and damaging the scanner (or burning your house down). What you ARE doing is shortening the life of the batteries and reducing their capacity.

For around $50 you can get a good smart charger that will charge each battery until it reaches capacity and then shut off. For maximum battery life, get two sets and alternate them, letting them run down before you charge them again.

Or you can just keep buying batteries and not being happy with how long the run time is on them. Up to you.

mule1075

Feed Provider
Which risk? That one of the batteries will overheat in the scanner? Slight but real.

Or that you'll shorten the life of the batteries and get poor performance? That's a given.

The problem with the charger in the 396XT is that it's a "dumb" charger, and just stays on until the timer runs out. Chances are very good that you are overcharging your batteries on a regular basis (maybe every day!) since the scanner will continue to put charging voltage across the batteries even if they are fully charged. That could, but probably won't, result in one of them overheating and damaging the scanner (or burning your house down). What you ARE doing is shortening the life of the batteries and reducing their capacity.

For around $50 you can get a good smart charger that will charge each battery until it reaches capacity and then shut off. For maximum battery life, get two sets and alternate them, letting them run down before you charge them again.

Or you can just keep buying batteries and not being happy with how long the run time is on them. Up to you.
I agree with this I would rather spend the say $89 for a good charger and batteries than on the off chance something happening. That something will cost you $89 for repair and you are out a scanner for a month. That being said and back on topic eneloops in my opinion are the way to go.

wtp

one of the main reasons i use a smart charger is to get the true capacity of each cell.
new does not mean it works, even for a battery.
when new almost all of the batteries i have gotten over the years have been fine.
one however went down to 1600 in about a month of use.
that is when they go to the solar lights.
a new 2500 goes down to 166 to 2200 in a year and they don't last as long.
so, just another reason to get a charger, smart not fast !
i have a maha c-9000

mc48

Premium Subscriber
If those are 2300mah batteries you are not charging them long enough for them to fully charge, There is a post here someplace and Upman
recommended the time to use, I believe it was 14 hours which is what I have mine set for. I typically get more than 8 hours run time.

bwhite

Premium Subscriber
If those are 2300mah batteries you are not charging them long enough for them to fully charge, There is a post here someplace and Upman
recommended the time to use, I believe it was 14 hours which is what I have mine set for. I typically get more than 8 hours run time.
gotcha, thanx. not sure what's in there now. I ordered the batteries suggested earlier in this post. This scanner spends most of it's life plugged in.

Status
Not open for further replies.