396XT Scanning issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firefighter28

In the past few days, My 396xt while scanning stopped picking up my local fire/rescue radio traffic. While it’s in the scanning mode. It will skip right over those few channels when there is traffic on them (happened on mutli channels), but when I manually change to those channels and hold on one of them it will pick up the radio traffic. I have checked and they are not L/O. Anyone have an idea what’s going on?

Thanks

Firefighter28

W8RMH - Do you have quick keys assigned/enabled? How do I check that?

DDan - This issue is with a trunked system.

kma371 - Maybe you have tone lockout on instead of tone receive? How do I check that?

I had this scanner set up for me, So I've never messed with it .

Thanks

captclint

Mentor
W8RMH - Do you have quick keys assigned/enabled? How do I check that?
Easier to Read BC346XT Scanner Manual Follow instructions to "Edit Site Options" and then go to "Set Quick key" . When you 'Set Quick Key' "and press E/yes", you should see if a number comes up. If so, that is the quick key. Hit scan, and then hit that number(hit".no" 1st if the number is greater than 9). When you hit that number, you should see that site start scanning, HItting again will skip over that site.If there was no number assigned, you may have another problem. Lockout is purposely hard to do by accident, so that is probably not it.

kma371 - Maybe you have tone lockout on instead of tone receive? How do I check that?
Not applicable for trunked systems

Last edited:

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
I have the opposite problem.......my 396XT picks up stuff my 780XLT won't stop on....stupid Unidens! :)

Paul

gsquared18

Premium Subscriber
I've been having similar problems with my BCD396XT. I started a thread about it last month in the Tennessee forum and didn't find a solution. Here's my latest posting asking for help:

I'm still having trouble hearing anything on the Federal National Parks - Great Smoky Mountains P25 system. The site profile was created for my new BCD396XT right from ARC program and I have not tweaked it in any way. I went up there again this weekend and it was silent the whole day. Once I did a manual search in the 164-173Mhz range, I found activity. The frequencies it found displayed "P25" on it. Is there anybody else having trouble with this system. Every other digital system in my area comes in perfect.

gsquared18

Premium Subscriber
I didn't mean trunked if I said so. The frequencies are showing up as P25 when I do a manual scan and the system profile list shows them as being digital so I'm getting a little confused. Even though the frequencies found in the manual scan are in the ARC profile, I never get hits while scanning that system. See anything weird from this ARC frame grab?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 261
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 280
  • smoky system.jpg
    smoky system.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:

W6KRU

I can't see anything in that image. The details are too small for me to read. Yes they are P25 modulated. P25 equals digital. All of the NACs are 4C5. Does that match your configuration?

gsquared18

Premium Subscriber
Sorry for the crappy image, I was trying to get it legible. Yes, the NAC's are 45. See new images split into 2 sections.

Last edited:

gsquared18

Premium Subscriber
Holy mother $*@!&# You are the greatest! Monitoring the park rangers is why I bought the 396XT and you just got it working. I have been struggling with this for a long time and that "4C5" trick worked. I'm a good 40 miles (as the crow flies) from edge of the Smokies and I just heard action on that system.Woo Hoooo! Now I just need to find out how to get those corrected settings up to RR so others that use ARC can have working settings. I'll post that in the software forum to see how to do that.

Thanks again DDan.

W6KRU

The RR Db is already correct. That is where I got the 4C5. If ARC imported those NACs as 45, It is an ARC issue.

ilgrant

I have the opposite problem.......my 396XT picks up stuff my 780XLT won't stop on....stupid Unidens! :)

Paul

My 996xt definitely does better picking up one of the trunking systems better than my 780XLT with the same antenna as well. That was unexpected!

Status
Not open for further replies.