396XT screws over torqued?

Status
Not open for further replies.

monitor142

Interesting situation with my 396xt recently. Had a rattle in my case for unknown reasons. This weekend I decided to open it up and let the bugger free. I've never opened the radio because I never had the need to. First off I found that I was missing a screw on the top adjacent to the vol knob. Weird I thought but off I went. Upon removing the screws, I pulled the back off and shook it a bit to get what was a small sliver of plastic. Upon inspection I saw that the molded/injected plastic shaft that would hold the screw that was missing was fractured. I wrote it off and put it back together.

After reassembly, I had something else loose in the case. Here's the kicker, I opened it back up and did a further inspection and have found that all of the shafts are fractured. This is leading me to think that either I had a front cover that had a bad plastic mix prior to injection molding or it was over torqued at assembly.

Anyone else had this issue? It looks like the only solution is to send it in to Repair for a whole new front.

Paul, any complaints in the past about this situation?

Thanks.
M142

monitor142

Thanks Chauffeur6 for the link. My issue is totally internal but if they had a bad run of plastic molding or the cases were over torqued at assembly, the issue seems to be the same even if a different model.

-M142

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
I had the same issue with the internal screw shafts breaking apart, as well as the external case cracking.

The 346XT and 396XT essentially use the same front case, just a different color. You'll note in my thread that someone had the same issue I did with a 396XT, so this issue seems to have affected both handhelds.

Status
Not open for further replies.