396XT to 396T programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

SquierStrat

hello. What would be the fastest/easiest/most painless way to transfer all the programming from my 396XT, to a 396T? I Have ARC XT and am using the free trial of ARC396, and it wont let me copy and paste systems/groups from one program to the other. Is there an easy way to do this?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
hello. What would be the fastest/easiest/most painless way to transfer all the programming from my 396XT, to a 396T? I Have ARC XT and am using the free trial of ARC396, and it wont let me copy and paste systems/groups from one program to the other. Is there an easy way to do this?

Download & install FreeSCAN
Run FreeSCAN & "download" (read) the programming from the 396XT into the software
Disconnect the 396XT & then connect the 396T
Upload the systems into the 396T.

Notes:
If you have "multi-site" systems in your 396XT, FreeSCAN, during the 396T upload process, will separate those out into individual systems (with talkgroups) for each site. Remember that the 396T has a lower talkgroup limit than the XT.

Also, I have occasionally encountered an error with FreeSCAN when "switching horses" (changing the scanner connected). It may give you a failure error, memory full, or something else. If that occurs, try this first: With the 396T connected, use the serial port auto detect (click the Com port selection in the download screen to find that). The software will "find" the port (even though it hasn't changed), and then recognize that a different scanner (other than the 396XT you downloaded) is now connected.

FreeSCAN's user guide is in the Wiki.
The weboage for download can be found here.

Edit to add: I'm guessing that ARC396 does not have an "import" file option that recognizes the ARC-XT files.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I should have added that once you loaded the 396T using the FreeSCAN "bridge", you could then use ARC396 to read the scanner & get the systems into it, if you're more comfortable with that program.

rbm

Download & install FreeSCAN
Run FreeSCAN & "download" (read) the programming from the 396XT into the software
Disconnect the 396XT & then connect the 396T
Upload the systems into the 396T.

THAT!

I've been doing what Steve recommends for years and it's painless.

Rich

Status
Not open for further replies.