396xt uniden

Status
Not open for further replies.

merleg

Premium Subscriber
this is the most rediculous thing i have ever seen to program. i even got the arc xt pro software to supposedly "automatically progam" this thing,,, this is like buying a rocket, and getting a pamflet for you hip pocket that doesnt have the info.... does anyone have any advice where i can buy something that will program this thing?

kma371

QRT
Use freescan. It's free and simple. If you are a paid subscriber here, you can download straight from the DB

Just click what you want and it does it for you.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
I use FreeScan as well. I have 3 scanners programmed with it to the tune of 75 systems each. Just try programming one system at a time. It is really easy once you get the hang of it. No software will "Automatically" program anything.

There is also a FreeScan User Guide here at RR.

FreeScan User Quide

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
No matter which software you use (I use Freescan, too) you're going to need to understand how DMA works. I'd suggest downloading (or purchasing) the Easier to Read manual for this radio. In addition we have a pretty good FAQ on DMA in our wiki

In addition, it's likely you're going to need a USB-serial cable to connect the PC and scanner. We have an article called 'Connecting scanners via USB' which outlines what you need to know, along with using Windows Device Manager to debug issues.

All of this can be found here (all links are blue)

Programming Your Uniden Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

The DMA scanners don't program themselves - it does take some effort to put things together the way you want to have them

best regards..Mike

wise871

Database Admin
When I first got a DMA type scanner I was lost like everyone else. The way I learned how to program it was to download a system file from one of the Yahoo Groups. Users have posted files there for others to use. Or you could ask someone for a file. It doesn’t necessarily have to be from your area. Just something that can give you a better understanding of how DMA works and how to program your scanner. What is needed is a template file that has an example of each one of the different systems. Then a user can make changes for their area as needed. The trick is also to make small changes at a time and upload it to your scanner and see if it displays the way you want.

The other nice thing about DMA scanners is. If you have a large system you want to monitor, you can separate them by separate systems or groups under the main system. In cities like Atlanta I will create two different systems for Police and Fire. Even though they are both under the Atlanta P25 TRS I find it easier to separate them by systems than as groups.

When I first learned how to program my DMA scanners, I think I uploaded files hundreds of times until I found the configuration I liked best. Even today I’m still adjusting my setup.

merleg

Premium Subscriber
well none of that told me a thing about how to program this thing.... i have put real scan or whatever its called, bought the arc xt ,,, its on there,,, and i still cant get the realscan to work to download my programs... any one know anything else,,,, or do i have to use this 600 scanner for a doorstop.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
No idea what realscan is. You should explain what you are trying to program and what you have tried to do. Lots of reading available at BCD396XT < UnidenMan4 < TWiki, but you do have to know what kinds of systems you are wanting to program and what channels you want to hear.

Highpockets

well none of that told me a thing about how to program this thing.... i have put real scan or whatever its called, bought the arc xt ,,, its on there,,, and i still cant get the realscan to work to download my programs... any one know anything else,,,, or do i have to use this 600 scanner for a doorstop.

It might help if the users here knew where you live, State, County and Town and what your trying to program. Someone might make you a file or have one already made to send you. You can get an idea how programming looks or use the one they send until you figure out how to program by looking at the way their file is setup.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber

Actually, the folks in the previous postings took the time to answer your post and they gave you some links that do indeed tell you about programming your scanner! Did you read them?

The information you need is there, but you need to read and understand it.

Do you have the proper cable to connect your scanner to your computer?

Have you verified that you have the proper drivers for the cable installed, and that you know which serial port your cable has been assigned?

Have you verified that your computer is communicating properly with the scanner?

Those procedures are all explained in the links that others have provided for you.

Read this also:

Easier to Read BCD396XT Digital Scanner Manual

wise871

Database Admin

Well when you come across like that do you really think anyone else is going to jump in and provide assistance? Apparently you didn’t see where I said we all were in the same boat when DMA first came out. You come across like I want it programmed right now without understanding the basic concepts. This is not a bank scanner. Wish you the best of luck.

kma371

QRT
Yeah it's funny you ask for help, we help you and that's not good enough.

With an attitude like that, good luck.

merleg

Premium Subscriber
sorry if your feathers are ruffled.. I have done the following, bought the 369xt scanner. bought the arcxt pro for uniden,,, bought the new usb cable to computer, and it works fine with scanner. as i have erased the pre programed site from every state off of it. and its ready to go. the computer talks to the scanner . I downloaded freescan like everyone says... it came one and looks easier,,, I downloaded all the programs for all of the above. I downloaded all the police and fire for my area....I have downloaded all the manuals, and read through them, I have the cd, and read through all that, It looks like greek... I am a retired contractor, and not an imbecile.... I dont know how they even sell these things if its that hard to do.... I have everything done by the book so far.... and cant get the programing from freescan to the scanner. thats where I'm at.....

Gator596

Premium Subscriber
Merleg -
Glad to see the learning has begun! Getting your computer communicating with your scanner and being able to erase the stuff that came from the factory is REAL PROGRESS. It took me DAYS to figure that out.
If you have got a file containing frequencies put into Freescan, hit the "Upload to scanner" tab in the program and it should start oading that file into your scanner.
There will likely be some frustration as you learn, but you ARE making progress!
Hang in there - you have purchased an incredibly capable scanner. Some patience now will pay off in many hours of great listening.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
sorry if your feathers are ruffled.. I have done the following, bought the 369xt scanner. bought the arcxt pro for uniden,,, bought the new usb cable to computer, and it works fine with scanner. as i have erased the pre programed site from every state off of it. and its ready to go. the computer talks to the scanner . I downloaded freescan like everyone says... it came one and looks easier,,, I downloaded all the programs for all of the above. I downloaded all the police and fire for my area....I have downloaded all the manuals, and read through them, I have the cd, and read through all that, It looks like greek... I am a retired contractor, and not an imbecile.... I dont know how they even sell these things if its that hard to do.... I have everything done by the book so far.... and cant get the programing from freescan to the scanner. thats where I'm at.....

You would have been a perfect candidate for the Uniden HomePatrol.

merleg

Premium Subscriber
396xt......LIVES

Thanks for the help,,,,,, finally got an answer from scanner.. It lives..... There might be a god after all..... It speaks :]

rcool101

Feed Provider
I'll take a stab. He's already flustered........THERE IS A LEARNING CURVE........If you bought ARCXT then use it. I never used Freescan because I didn't want to waste money and use something else. If you have everything downloaded then you need to send it to the radio. There is a button or tab on top that says SEND TO RADIO or READ FROM RADIO. If that does not work then you do not have anything in the program to send. If you do make sure you save it. You can always let this forum know what State, County, City, and what you want to listen to and you might be surprised what help you get

merleg

Premium Subscriber
396xt uniden scanner

Last message , I hope, thanks to all who tried to help me program this scanner, each had parts of the puzzel, none had all..... this thing is impossible to programs by anyone exept bill gates. but i have learned the hard way all the steps.... using these, anyone can do it... bite the bullet and just do it right the first time.... buy the unit, order the new usb cord to the computer at the same time,, buy the ARC XT PRO SOFTWARE, AND THE FREESCAN SOFTWARE.... download all user manuals and read them until you are ready to commit suicide, and pull your hair out... download the programs for your area using freescan... then thump around at the top until you get to the "upload" to scanner...... then that baby starts talking to you. again,thanks to all. its a neat unit.... but an sob to program. I dont know why they dont have this in the book.... good luck. by the way, the reason to get both softwares is some stuff comes eaier on the arc xt ,,,,like delete programs once you screw up.... but programing and download to scanner is easier on freescan......

rcool101

Feed Provider
Good Luck......Believe it or not it gets easier. As of now I use Proscan for my 780 and my 396t and 396xt. I don't like buying a program anymore that only works on 1 scanner. Most have a 30 day trial to try them out. You never said if this was your first scanner or first try at computer aided programing. Hang in there. Took me 25 min to figure out how to turn my 246 on. I bought 5 scanners after that. It can be habit forming. Don't be afraid to ask for help. Get your moneys worth

Status
Not open for further replies.