396xt update on ORION

Status
Not open for further replies.

SquierStrat

hello. Just wondering if anyone has tried the latest bcd396xt/996xt firmware on the Douglas county site (simulcast) on the ORION system, and if theres an improvment. And regardless of weather you have updated or not, how does that scanner pair perform on that site in general?

The reason im asking is because i just picked up a PSR 800, and am thinking about eating the 20% restocking fee and returning it for a refund. Its a good radio, its actually GREAT when it comes to the douglas county site. The sound while listening to it is awesome compared to the psr 500. The only issues i have with are its incredibly quiet audio, The audio sounds great, its just too quiet for my car at highway speeds. (which is really the only time i listen to douglas county). and then the fact that im not really liking its "simple" interface as much as it thought i would. I had a feeling that might happen but was hoping its audio in douglas county would be good enough for me to get over that.. but its turning out not to be...

edit: just wanted to add, in regards to the audio, yes, i have the audio boost on for ALL channels, and i turned the AGC off in an attempt to louden it, but still, no dice

Last edited:
I live in Lincoln and kinda pick up Omaha at 3-4 bars sitting in my drive. From what I hear it sounds good to kinda good. If i was closer to Omaha I bet it would sound better. I am using a 996XT with an Austin Spectra Antenna.

Attachments

• 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 305

realgeo

Premium Subscriber
Good morning!

I, too, have updated both my 396XT and 996XT radios to the latest firmware.

On my 396XT, connected to my vehicle's Austin Spectra antenna, the audio quality appears to be much better in places where the "motor-boating" was quite prevalent before. On my path to work, I didn't notice much, if any, break-up except in a very low spot which has always been problematic.

At my work, the audio quality has always been pretty reliable and consistent. I work in a basement, in close proximity to a data center, but apparently only hear ONE site in the system, so the LSM probably has never affected me in this setting.

On my 996XT, which is a base scanner, the audio decode might be a little bit better, but I live quite a bit outside of the expected coverage area, so I'm not sure that the improvement was designed to increase _that_ issue!

Just my 2-cents' worth!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.