396XT vs. 325P2 Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

rs16

Premium Subscriber
For my county (Erie County, NY), Can anyone advise on whether the 325P2 would provide any advantages over the 396XT?

I'm considering a 396XT because no one in my county is P2; everything is analog except for the Buffalo PD. I also like that the 396 has an AC adapter.

Can the 396XT receive the DMR upgrade if needed?

Does the 325 receive any better than the 396?

Any other reasons to choose the newest model?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Erie County
Erie County, New York (NY) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

marksmith

396xt does not have the DMR upgrade, and won't get phase 2 p25.

The DMR upgrade has a cost, and what you have on DMR is likely limited and not very interesting.

If you don't need phase 2, the 396xt is a great radio.

I see very little trunked public service in Erie County. Chautauqua County is phase 2, and the Ohio MARCS is phase 1.

I have both radios, and both are good. The 325 is basically the same as the 396xt but with phase 2 added, a slightly better decoding codec for digital, but in the 125AT case, with only 2 batteries. 396xt has multiple screen colors, only orange in the 325.

Mark
536/436/WS1095/HP1/HP2/996T/996XT/996P2/396XT/325P2/PSR800/15X/others

milcom_chaser

For my county (Erie County, NY), Can anyone advise on whether the 325P2 would provide any advantages over the 396XT?

I'm considering a 396XT because no one in my county is P2; everything is analog except for the Buffalo PD. I also like that the 396 has an AC adapter.

Can the 396XT receive the DMR upgrade if needed?

Does the 325 receive any better than the 396?

Any other reasons to choose the newest model?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Erie County
Erie County, New York (NY) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

-The display on the 325p2 is larger, easier to read. It is much lighter in weight, uses one less battery so, battery life is shorter. It is DMR capable, the 396XT is not. Both receivers are great, the 396xt audio has little more treble in the AM aircraft receive mode. The 325 can use any USB to USB Mini cable like the one's used for digital cameras for programming and power. So you don't need a separate programming cable. Any AC to USB wall plug, or cigarette lighter to USB adapter will power the radio. Do you travel? some areas use P25 Phase II. Might be something to consider.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Both good radios, but having USB power for the 325P2 is an advantage. As said by others, you never know when you will encounter P2, for example, when you travel. I find using the USB cable directly to 325P2 rather than small USB connector on 396XT to be an advantage for programming. Also if you run down on power, can always use a power pack. l Finally, no matter where you live, there is bound to be some DMR. Often not in data base, but if you search, you will probably find some. Even if you don't purchase DMR now, you may wish that you at least have the capability to add. Given that the price is not all that different, I would go with the 325P2
I have both radios and the 396XT is a superb scanner. However, I also find that the 325P2 does better on some P25 Phase 1 digital than the 396XT.

baayers

I realize it is just a matter of preference but I prefer the BNC connector on the 325. Once again a matter of preference but I also prefer that the 325 has an even number of batteries instead of odd. Yes you do end up getting less runtime out of a single set of batteries but when you compare the results of the 2 scanners after using a total of 6 batteries the total run time is even. 2 sets of 3 in the 396 and 3 sets of 2 in the 325 equals around 24 hours of use. I purchased my 325 about 18 months ago for around $340 and I can honestly say for my needs it has been money well spent.

tumegpc

The problem with the 325p2 is that I find myself swapping out batteries more often then I thought I would and I'm using Powerex 2700mah batteries . No way to go through a normal day without using at least 2 sets sometimes 3.

Another issue is that there is no back lit keys. I didn't think this was going to be an issue till I went outside on the porch at night .Even in my truck where there is some ambient light, it still poses a problem.

seth21w

The 396XT is a better built radio, better features and more solid built! One if not the best scanner Uniden has ever made. Unless you are certain that your city is likely to upgrade I would buy a 396XT. The 325 has a problem, it was built cheaply and in a 100 dollar scanner case!

Steve73

All a matter of personal preference. I and three other friends have been running the 325P2 and no issues to report. Battery life with just two batteries is what it is. Keep more charged ! One of the best scanners I've owned so far. And ready for the Indiana Safe-T Phase two if/when it happens.

rs16

Premium Subscriber
Thanks to all for the info so far. I know it should be an easy choice to get the 325, but I've read so much good about the 396 that I wanted to get some feedback.

seth21w

Thanks to all for the info so far. I know it should be an easy choice to get the 325, but I've read so much good about the 396 that I wanted to get some feedback.

If you look online the 396xt is bringing used closed to what a new 325 is and that is why, ive personally had both and loved the 396 had it the longest, had the 325 one day and returned because it couldnt handle a p2 system but the 436 does. Ive also read where if you keep the 325 long enough keypad numbers come off with use.

scannersnstuff

have both. love both. get the bcd325p2. i am happier with it than i thought. however, i will probably never part with the bcd396xt. i was ready for the battery short life of the 325, so i bought higher capacity batteries.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I personally find this an easy solution. Get both.
A man after my own heart.When in doubt, excellent advice for a radio enthusiast.
Seriously, though, I certainly respect the "396XT in favor of" opinions of my esteemed RR colleagues, but I still think the 325P2 is the way to go in terms of future flexibility, The issues with text on keys wearing a bit, is, however, true. And yes, the 396XT in terms of case is more sturdy, but get a leather case for the 325P2 and you'll be fine.

tumegpc

Well here is a few more reasons to go with the 396XT - The 396XT has a nice rubber anti slip grip around the case.

The belt clip in the 396XT has a very secure swivel clip that can be easily removed vs a non swivel plastic clip.

Having the function and menu keys on the side of the 396XT is more user friendly and easier to operate with one hand.

Last edited:

scannersnstuff

there is no question, also think the bcd396xt is a great radio. 2 stand out thing's just beat it on the 325p2, imho. 1-phase 2 digital. 2-bold print on screen w/orange backlight. i guess if you really wanted more features, the bcd436hp would do it.

if you worry about the cheaper case and batteries, buy a leather case, and have extra charged long life rechargeables and alkalines.

what i want to clarify. although i have not used the vhf/uhf portion on my 325 much, i think it is pretty solid. i basically got my 325 for digital, and digital 700/800 trunked.

Last edited by a moderator:

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
I use the 325 on Air/VHF/UHF occasionally, and I think it is as good as the 396XT. But I agree on the 436HP. I have one of each the 325 and 396XT, but three 436HPs, one given to my son-in-law, and two that I often use.
The extra features above either the 325 or 396XT are well worth another hundred bucks or so. No need to reiterate here. Information readily available on other threads, specs, etc. That said, the 436HP is larger. If you only buy one portable, I recommend at 436HP. If two, recommend the 436 and TRX-1. But I realize that cost is a factor.

milcom_chaser

there is no question, also think the bcd396xt is a great radio. 2 stand out thing's just beat it on the 325p2, imho. 1-phase 2 digital. 2-bold print on screen w/orange backlight. i guess if you really wanted more features, the bcd436hp would do it.

if you worry about the cheaper case and batteries, buy a leather case, and have extra charged long life rechargeables and alkalines.

what i want to clarify. although i have not used the vhf/uhf portion on my 325 much, i think it is pretty solid. i basically got my 325 for digital, and digital 700/800 trunked.

Yet the 436 display is incredibly hard to read there should be a setting where you can change the font size and make it huge if necessary

trp2525

Well pricing usually factors in to which scanner to buy but the current brand-new pricing difference on these 2 models is only $20.

There is a seller on eBay, coldfrontsales, selling brand-new BCD396XT scanners for $349.99 with FREE shipping and currently 3 are available: Uniden Handheld TrunkTracker IV Digital Police Scanner (BCD396XT) | eBay

There is a seller on eBay, bearcatscanners, selling brand-new BCD325P2 scanners for $369.94 with FREE shipping and currently 7 are available: Uniden BCD325P2 Digital Police Scanner NEW! | eBay

SOFA_KING

One more selling point to the 325P2 is that it skips over conventional P25 encryption. I don't think the 396XT does, or ever will. It may mute it, but not bypass it altogether. For me, that is a big deal. I listen to conventional P25 that could go either way. If an operation is fully encrypted, I don't want my Uniden scanner hanging up on something I can't hear.

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.