396XT vs. PSR-500

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
Okay guys/gals. I need a new P25 capable portable scanner. I've read arguments on behalf of both models. My concern? Repeated reports of audio drop-out on the 396XT on P25 systems. So in all your opinions, which is more worth the money?

scanchs

Both are good scanners, but you'll probably get more useful answers by asking your question in a local forum where folks are using those models to monitor systems in your area. As for audio drop-outs on the 396XT, I don't have that problem in my area. This may be because I'm not using a feature that causes the drop-outs for other people.

Plus, there's a lot more to consider than a single issue. For example, I prefer the smaller physical size, memory design, and GPS capabilities of the 396XT. Also, any opinions you get regarding P25 performance of an XT model will be out of date in the next few days. Uniden recently announced a firmware update that is designed to improve P25 decoding, and it's slated to be available by the end of the month. That update alone could change everything. Good luck on your decision... :)

ScanCHS

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
I sold my 396XT soon after I bought it, I greatly prefer the better audio (even on conventional, it's better) on the PSR-500. I recently bought a RS Pro-106 to go along with it.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
If it actually makes the 396XT even close to the 500/106 on P25, I will be shocked, and probably interested in getting one eventually.

Banleno007

FYI I have owned a GRE PSR-500 since January and just sold it so I could get a Uniden BCD396XT. So if that tells you anything, I think it's worth the switch. I've been scanning for 15 years and I personally don't like the programming or the interface on the PSR-500. And another thing I'm not crazy about is the fact that you can only have 1800 channels per V-folder.

ratboy

Premium Subscriber
That's no problem for me. I'm only using about 1500 total objects, after going in and deleting everything I can't even dream of getting, or I don't want to listen to. I just hate the Uniden audio so much that I had to off my 396XT after a few weeks. The GRE radios sound a lot better.

whooey

My first post in years, lol :D

The GRE radios sound a lot better.

I have to give this a big +1.

Ive had 2 Uniden 396T's, and a Uniden 996T. Even with the firmware updates and my error rate down to 0, the audio never even came close to my PRO 96, PRO 2096, PSR-600, and PSR-500. Not even in the same ballpark.

This is the reason why I'm gunning for a PRO-800 as opposed to the Home Patrol by Uniden. I like the interface of the HP-1, but the audio is a deal breaker...

Status
Not open for further replies.