396XT. Why does it search when I only want to scan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniel_reetz

Premium Subscriber
I received my 396XT today.

So far, I've programmed it using FreeScan and RadioReference Database. I expected that when I hit "Scan" that it would scan for only the frequencies I entered. However, the radio is in fact going through all possible ranges (eg "Military Air" ).

Question: Why does the radio seem to be searching in addition to scanning the one system I have programmed?

background:
I have read much of the "Complete Reference" as well as the "getting started guide" that a member has posted here. I'm quite familiar with using online documentation and Google, but can't seem to find the answers I'm looking for, and I feel like the documentation for this scanner might be lacking. Any guidance/explanation on why my radio is behaving in this way, or what principle of operation I am not understanding would be very much appreciated.

daniel_reetz

Premium Subscriber
Yeah, it seems to be scanning and searching at the same time. I'm digging through the manual now. I love this radio already, but I'm a little bummed out by the state of documentation.

Thanks for the suggestion -- I did read that wiki page, and it's not the preloaded bands (I deleted those). It's searching through bands like "military air" "public safety" and so on after it gets through my little "cass county" system.

bottk

sounds to me like maybe you have some or all of your system quick keys or system group keys activated if this is the case you need to either assign you system to a key and turn the rest off or just turn all the keys off and put your scanner in the scamn mode for your system

daniel_reetz

Premium Subscriber
To lock or unlock Search Bands, press and hold Func-don't let go then scroll to the service or custom search and press L/O.

This worked better than the previous method.

Status
Not open for further replies.