396XT Wish

Status
Not open for further replies.

325xia

Premium Subscriber
I don't know if this has ever been brought up here, but I wish that there was a Clock on the display of the 396XT, (T). Maybe where the Voltage Indicator is, where you could "toggle" between the two. Just a thought. As, I am always looking to see what Time it is while using the scanner.

sjlamb

Get a digital watch. Save those precious firmware updates for something with a bit more "wow" factor that directly relates to scanning.

XTS3000

It would be nice to have the battery voltage level displayed all the time. Nothing else is displayed where the voltage is shown, so why not have it shown all the time?

Part of the reason for no clock is there is no backup coin cell in the radio, so when you remove the batteries, the time would reset to 12:00.

jclarkr6

It would be nice to have the battery voltage level displayed all the time. Nothing else is displayed where the voltage is shown, so why not have it shown all the time?

I fully support that idea. I am constantly tapping the scroll knob to see how much juice the batteries have left.

mikebennett

Premium Subscriber
NAC / CTSS / DCS combined decode. The way it's set up right now it's one or the other.

NAC lockout in addition to Tone LO.

Multi-NAC/Tone LO. There would probably need to be a limit on this but five for each channel would be a nice start

Ability to bring up the last active channel by using the HOLD button like on the GRE's.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Clock

For whatever it is worth, I have a Motorola XTS5000 that I use for work. It does have a built in clock, but it is an embarrassment to Motorola. It does not keep accurate time. That is not to say that it can't be done, but my point is I think I would rather they did it right or not do it at all. Then again, maybe I am a clock/watch snob now. I have an atomic clock at home and a Casio G-Shock solar atomic wristwatch, so now other clocks and watches are compared to these in my mind.

Highpockets

For whatever it is worth, I have a Motorola XTS5000 that I use for work. It does have a built in clock, but it is an embarrassment to Motorola. It does not keep accurate time. That is not to say that it can't be done, but my point is I think I would rather they did it right or not do it at all. Then again, maybe I am a clock/watch snob now. I have an atomic clock at home and a Casio G-Shock solar atomic wristwatch, so now other clocks and watches are compared to these in my mind.

You have to much time on your hands. :D

sjlamb

Part of the reason for no clock is there is no backup coin cell in the radio, so when you remove the batteries, the time would reset to 12:00.

Not true.... Cell phones have no "Coin Cell" backup and their clock and date functions don't reset when you change batteries.

sjlamb

Yes but they receive their info from the cell towers.

Good point..... Still, I would bet a dozen donuts that, even in the absent of the batteries, the XT has a backup cap for CPU support that would supply enough power to backup a clock function.

hfxChris

Database Admin
Longer than 16-character alpha tags. I don't see why it's not possible, they can scroll the words Scan and Search, why not scroll a 17+ character tag? It may not happen often, but every now and then I want to tag something longer than 16 chars.

Better support for duplex systems. And no I don't mean a true duplex system where both sides transmit at the same time, but the typical taxi-style systems where they take turns, but each side is on a different frequency.
It would be nice to be able to identify a pair of frequencies as a 'duplex set' - then after a transmission on either of them and during the delay period before the scanner resumes scanning, it should look for a transmission on either frequency. It always sucks when one side stops transmitting, your scanner resumes scanning and you've got to wait 5 seconds or so for it to come back around again, and by then you've missed the reply...

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
-DOS equivalent
-muted squelch tail
-conventional P25 ID's

The XT's have the conventional P25 IDs with the latest firmware update. Look at the stickied thread at the top of this forum.
Marshall KE4ZNR

mikebennett

Premium Subscriber
Longer than 16-character alpha tags. I don't see why it's not possible, they can scroll the words Scan and Search, why not scroll a 17+ character tag? It may not happen often, but every now and then I want to tag something longer than 16 chars.

I'd vote for that as well.

Dewey

I like the idea that was brought up shortly after the XT came out... the ability to have the 1st line scroll the System/Group like the older T's rather than the Site/Group. Actually, a selectable choice of what could be displayed from the currently available displays, or flashed back and forth of each of the three lines would be GREAT, I just don't know how doable it is.

Dewey

walt991

How about an automatic temp lockout feature during search and store? When a signal is detected during search and store, store the frequency, and them temp lock it out so that it won't stop on the next pass.

I don't know if this has ever been brought up here, but I wish that there was a Clock on the display of the 396XT, (T). Maybe where the Voltage Indicator is, where you could "toggle" between the two. Just a thought. As, I am always looking to see what Time it is while using the scanner.

If you are in a very active area, like me, you never have to wonder what time it is. At the end of every conversation, the dispatch will give a time stamp, and my cell phone has a clock on it. I think it would be a waste of display function, that could be used for something else. Just one mans opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.