396xt..

Status
Not open for further replies.

gaburbano

Premium Subscriber
Now first I have to say that Im really impressed with the 396XT under my tree.. However, Like my 996T, I program it with butel and have yet to figure out how to use quick keys etc..

The one thing that troubles me abit is the batter life.
It seems that the scanner batteries last less than about 4hrs. Im using the Nmh that came with it, then went to radio shack Now I don't know ,is that normal??

Ive had an IC-R20 for many years, just sent it for repair, but those batteries last more than a day or so..

Cant understand why Uniden didn't include an option to have a drop in charger for the scanner, as well as having rechargeable packs available for it.
Then I can't understand why it is made to use 6V instead of 12v???
It does have a great receive, great functions and love the computer programming..

just my thoughts

George

mrwilson706

Premium Subscriber
George, have you had a chance to tweak the battery options yet?
I have the same model and still typically get 6.5 to 7 hours with the stock batteries utilizing an Infinite setting on my backlight mode. Have you adjusted the charge time yet? Mine is set to 8 hours; I don't use the battery save option but you might try it as well to see if it helps. Here's a link to the "Easier to Read BCD396XT Digital Scanner Manual" and a paste of the instructions.

Easier to Read BCD396XT Digital Scanner Manual

Note:

You need to go to Menu>Settings>Battery Option

Battery Option these settings allow you to turn the battery save option on or off and to set the battery charge time. The scanner turns off power for 1 second and turns it on for 300 ms when you monitor a channel/frequency that has no activity for more than a minute. Note: No Icon will appear in the display to tell you if the battery save feature is on or off. Scroll to 'Set Battery Save' and press E/yes.
Scroll to On or Off and press E/yes to save and exit.
Scroll to 'Set Charge Time' and press E/yes.
Enter 1-16 (hours) and press E/yes to save and exit.
Press Menu to return.

gaburbano

Premium Subscriber
tks I played around with it yesterday, I set the battery save option and set the charge time for 8hrs.

George

Status
Not open for further replies.