• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

3D printing a modified G-series amplified charger

allen5565

A thought experiment for you people who know about this sort of stuff, asked by someone who unquestionably does not. How high a hurdle would it be to 3D print a modified amp. charger for the G-series, the principle alteration being moving the pager socket, where the G-pager is seated, from the broad top surface to the "front," co-locating it on the narrower face alongside where the speaker and volume knob currently sit, then taking the electronic guts and connections from a perfectly fine, functioning charger and stuffing them in this new beast. I assume the overall measurements would need to be slightly altered, [to make the front surface a bit broader,] but I don't think it would be a significant difference from the current footprint. Additionally, this design would locate reenforced mounting slots for nuts on the sides, to receive mounting brackets so this thing could be mobile mounted in a vehicle console.

I assume all this would involve something like 3D laser measuring a regular amp charger, then tinkering with dimensions in some software program before feeding the final design into a 3D printer. (Easy for me to speculate, having exactly zero idea of how complicated, labor-intensive, or expensive any of this is.)

How difficult would this be for a knowledgeable person to accomplish? How expensive? (As in, $200 vs $2,000-ish.) How hardy is 3D printing? Are electronics and connections easily swapped and re-mounted, or are they nitroglycerin-delicate? Can a durable product, strong enough to withstand permanent mobile mounting, be produced using one-off or small-batch printing technology, or is such a product best left in fantasy world? Any recommendations on tinkerers, shops, factories where this sort of project might be engaged?

Yes, I am bored at work this afternoon and needed to get this fantasy in print. If you have any thoughts to share on the subject --of the charger, not my dull job-- I would be excited to read them.

w2lie

New York DB Admin
Database Admin
It sounds like you want to retrofit at G1 amplified charger to accommodate a G2-G5 pager. You’ll need to make sure all the internal circuitry is in tact as well. It’s more involved than just the charger circuit.

allen5565

It sounds like you want to retrofit at G1 amplified charger to accommodate a G2-G5 pager. You’ll need to make sure all the internal circuitry is in tact as well. It’s more involved than just the charger circuit.
Essentially, yes. The G1 charger's dimensions are already too snug to do a simple case-for-case swap, but the end product would look like what you mention, yes. I appreciate that the entire electronics guts would need to be brought over, not just the bits one sees on the exterior. It's things like that that have me wondering if such a project is doable. Does mounting those internal components require surgeon's delicacy, or can they pretty much be scooped from one container and secured in another? Plus, all those other questions I mentioned, above.