• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

3G/4G Sim Card Two-Way Radios???

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
3G/4G Sim Card Two-Way Radios?

Does anyone have any experience with these? A few of the chinese manufacturers are making them. Besides loading up a pre-paid sim card with data, are there any other operating costs?

Here is a Puxing example:

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/PX-800S-820s-840s-PUXING-public_60220156642.html

I have no experience with those. I would anticipate that, other than service through a SIM card, the electricity to charge the battery would be the only real operating cost. Now I know that you asked about SIM card radios, but there are also wifi two way radios. In fact, Icom makes some of them, I happen to think that the Icom IP100H is overpriced, but I have not used one.

What I think would be slick is if they made a device that would work through wifi and GSM, but also be capable of off-network simplex, too, say on 900 MHz.

https://www.fantom.io/

https://www.fantom.io/Products/C1/

IP100H License-free IP radio for wireless network (WLAN) - Features - Icom America

Last edited:

NC1

Looks like it works off of the Cellular services, like back when Nextel had DirectTalk.

It is not really a true two way radio, but more like a speakerphone cellular.
No tower signal = no communication. You would be better off with a cheap plan from one of the major carriers.

While it may be different, it completely misses the mark in my opinion.
I'm sure there may be some limited novelty use for it somewhere.

prc117f

They are regular telephones not capable of full duplex operation so when you call someone you have to press the button when you want to speak.

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
What I think would be slick is if they made a device that would work through wifi and GSM, but also be capable of off-network simplex, too, say on 900 MHz.
What do you mean with?
Here are the GSM, UMTS, LTE Freqs who are currently in use:
https://www.rtr.at/fileadmin/_processed_/csm_RTR-Frequenzenbereiche_2015_4421aac0a4.png
The 700Mhz Band are for future LTE use.
IP100H License-free IP radio for wireless network (WLAN) - Features - Icom America
The are rubbish in my eyes! I would use normal VoIP Wifi Phones insted who are "open" with any PBX.
No tower signal = no communication.
lol you think you get someone who is on PMR446 or CB?
Trust me the Cellphone Coverage is better.

http://forums.radioreference.com/budget-entry-level-transceivers/343879-tyt-w700-gsm-walkitalki.html

So the question is how does it work?!
10 Years ago an Network Operator shut down there Push to Talk Service. so?

Last edited by a moderator:

gkjunk757

Premium Subscriber
We were using zello w/bluetooth PTT speaker/mics for a while at work. The hardware/software sync was buggy and it got irritating when trying to use your phone for calls. This would be an easy/cheap alternative.

If you are operating in an area with good cell coverage then you have all the benefits of a digital radio system without needing a repeater network.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Network latency might be an issue if you were relying on anything other than an LTE network.
Packet prioritization (QOS) would be the way to do this, but the networks aren't going to pass that.

If your business was running it's own WiFi network and you could get the network wonks to give your traffic higher prioritization within your own network, that would be a pretty good solution.

However, I'm guessing this isn't a mission critical application.

The other thing I'd be concerned about is the quality of these Chinese radios. Looking at the ones that have shown up the last few years, I'd not want to rely on one for anything where my life, or someone else's, depended on it. Fine for amateur/hobby use, but nothing more.

Might be worth checking in to what your mobile phone network can supply. Many of the networks will pass Push To Talk traffic over their network.

gkjunk757

Premium Subscriber
Definitely not for mission critical stuff. This was an idea for "off network" quick chats.

Your_account

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
but how does it work?
The dont have any display so where does i put my pin and other stuff in?!

Status
Not open for further replies.