3rd antenna on new NYSP cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

sc800

One of the new NYSP cars that I saw, a Troop F traffic unit numbered F109, had three antennas on it, instead of the usual two. It had the standard two on the roof, and then a longer one on the trunk. Does anyone know what this could be

radionerd13669

Useless Contributor
could be alot of things. Another VHF Antenna? UHF Antenna? CB? Hard telling got any pics?

I don't like the placement of the 800 mhz antennas on the crown vics top of room near a post.

sc800

The antenna was significantly longer than the other two. It could be a CB since the car is a traffic car, or it looked like possibly a low band antenna, but the only agencies in Orange County using loow band are fire departments, and they are changing to UHF.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
The antenna was significantly longer than the other two. It could be a CB since the car is a traffic car, or it looked like possibly a low band antenna, but the only agencies in Orange County using loow band are fire departments, and they are changing to UHF.

A high band gain antenna, maybe?

Kind of hard to tell for sure because SP's around the state may have different equipment in their cars. For example, I know that the Troop E cars that work Monroe County regularly will have an extra 800 MHz spike for the county's MDT/CAD system. And, they might have an extra UHF antenna for the county's current UHF digital radio system.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
but the only agencies in Orange County using loow band are fire departments, and they are changing to UHF.

Not to get off topic, but that is not correct. Fireground ops are moving to UHF, but OC911 remains on low band. Numerous depts have opted to install UHF <> low band links (aka crossband repeaters), but those transmissions are still taking place on low band (46.16, 45.78, etc.) as well the countywide LZ frequencies remains 46.40.

sc800

Then what is the point? Why make people move to a new part of the spectrum, and force them to install another "middleman" the cross-band repeater (ie. another potential point of failure)

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Troop F cars have three antennas...VHF, 800 for the EDACS system and the hockey puck for AVL. The long one was probably the VHF as I've seen a few cars that are using it instead of the 18 inch 1/4 wave.

sc800

e,

This car had 3 antennas on top of the AVL hockey puck, one was on the rear of the roof behind the lightbar, one was on the driver's side in front of the lightbar, and the longer one was in the middle of the trunk.

I will see if I can find a picture of the car

D

DaveNF2G

I bet the oddball is the one nearest the driver, probably for a cellphone.

FIRECOM31

Premium Subscriber
NYSP Car Antenna

The troop F cars are being equip with a mobile repeator in the car on UHF i believe . The trooper's are carrying HT's that go thru the link and come back out on there normal freq's from the mobile unit. I hope this helps . Have a great day

jmv3085

Premium Subscriber
I believe the the three digit cars are a traffic safety details, the get assigned to construction zones on the highways, it may be a state dot radio.

lafd55

Most likely it is another VHF whip. See a lot of them on on highway units all over the state. You will also start seeing a 800 Mhz antenna I believe because of the new repeater.

RadioComm

Premium Subscriber
F109 has a CB antenna(magnet) mounted on the trunk along with the new 800mhz crossband repeater antenna(in front of lightbar), VHF antenna and AVL. There are no NYCOMCO EDACS 800 equipment in the cars beginning with "F".
All other Troop F zone 2 cars have a VHF antenna, 800 Edacs antenna, 800 crossband antenna and AVL.

sc800

Thanks everyone for your help.

RadioComm: Is the CB antenna now standard equipment on new troop cars or traffic cars, or was that a one-time thing?

LathamScan

Premium Subscriber
Up here in Troop G (as well as in Troop B) the IHP's as well as the CVET vans that have CB radios were put in by the troopers assigned to their vehicles, usually they are owned by the trooper. The CVET vans like to listen to channel 19 to hear if any truckers try to avoid the inspection point.

I know for all of the installs that I have done to troop cars, a CB radio was not part of the install. Just the usual light / siren package with the Orion mobile - replaced by M7100IP chassis.

Kevin

FIRECOM31

Premium Subscriber
3nd antenna NYSP cars

The Troop F cars in Orange Co do operate and are equip with a 800 mhz system radio witch they talk to Orange 911 with and other units in Orange Co. on the NYCOMCO System. Ulster F Troop cars do not at this time operate on a 800 mhz system . Have a good day , be safe out there Steven

Status
Not open for further replies.