3rd party usb prgraming cable not showing up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
And there are a few links with gotcha's using Win 8 / 8.1 that are documented at the end of that article. Anyone is free to add more detail - it's not locked. Have at it

Mike

voxiso

Well the seller swears by it and said he done a overnight ship of another cable out of his own pocket.. Cant beat that.. I will see tomorrow if it works. Wish me luck :p

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
The one pictured in the link you sent would not work. That round thing is just a ferrite bead (blocks RF noise). Not a RS232<->USB converter.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Have you asked the seller what type of chipset is in the cable?

It should have the HXD (preferably) or HXA (okay as long as you are not using Windows 8.x).

If the seller is unable to confirm which it has or suggests one isn't needed, I'd be asking to return it as it won't do what you need.

XTS3000

Hookup up a straight USB cable could damage the comport on the scanner. USB cables have +5V, which if connected to the wrong comport pins could damage it.

Sometimes paying the extra $$ for OEM is worth it. There is so much counterfeit garbage out there now that's untested.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
The one pictured in the link you sent would not work. That round thing is just a ferrite bead (blocks RF noise). Not a RS232<->USB converter.

I somehow doubt that is the cable he actually has. If you click on that pic it takes you to the full webpage that the pic is from. Additional pics of that cable (when you hit the zoom button) show a mini-USB connector.... which wouldn't even fit into the port on the scanner.

Garmin USB Cable - Bicycle Village

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I somehow doubt that is the cable he actually has. If you click on that pic it takes you to the full webpage that the pic is from. Additional pics of that cable (when you hit the zoom button) show a mini-USB connector.... which wouldn't even fit into the port on the scanner.

Garmin USB Cable - Bicycle Village

In the post quoted below, the OP said that the cable he got had a bulge on each end, but, the sample picture only shows one, which is a ferrite core (rf choke).

If his actual cable differs from the picture linked, then the 'two bulges', most like, are two ferrite cores, one at either end, neither containing the necessary circuitry for RS232<->USB.

It has a bulge on each end

voxiso

Just got another cable from the seller it done the same.. It does nothing.. I will try to get a refund without having to file a complaint on him.. Thanks guys for the help.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Just got another cable from the seller it done the same.. It does nothing.. I will try to get a refund without having to file a complaint on him.. Thanks guys for the help.

Is it possible that you can take a picture of the cable you have in your hand clearly showing the entire cable and both ends of the cable, and post it here so we can see exactly what you have?

voxiso

Is it possible that you can take a picture of the cable you have in your hand clearly showing the entire cable and both ends of the cable, and post it here so we can see exactly what you have?

Sorry I do not my phone died and I got one coming from once again ebay lol.. But the USB cable itself fits into the scanner perfectly and has two round things about 2" from each end. It looks the very same as this http://bicyclevillage.com/images/library/zoom/garmin-usb-cable-181233-1.jpg but with a end that can fit the scanner and those round things at each end.

voxiso

Just ordered one from scannermaster.. So far it has cost me $67 for s simple cable.. Uniden needs to stop sending out Serial cables with their scanners.. That is a smack in the face to users that think they are getting a programing cable when ordering like I was. Why not send out what the user will need? Serial cable would be awesome if we was in 1998..

Tazworld

Well here is something i just came across today at my Local Staples Store by accident. I was looking for a Serial to Usb Adapter for different item "not the 996xt" Well i grabbed he cable i needed an used it for what i needed it for. Well just on a whim i was like Hmmm ? i wonder if this work with the 996xt ? Well SURPRISE it does !! And it was detected by the following O/S systems with no problems. Win XP, Win 7, Win 8 (yuk) never had to install the drivers that came with it. Windows did it automatically an they were correct an worked with no issue or tweaking on my part :)
Also the end has led lights to show you its moving data which i like so i know the scanner is talking to computer an software. I added the Part an Item numbers below if you have a Staples Store near you that will be a cheaper deal an you can always return it easier then thru Mail or UPS/FedEx. Also the price online at website will be matched by store with no problem as i did that today.
Hope this helps a few people needing a cable that have a Staples nearby.

Weblink to product > Staples USB-to-Serial Adapter | Make More Happen at Staples®

USB to Serial Adapter Cable
Item #837560
Model #18762
$17.82 web price

Para078

Premium Subscriber
I have downloaded every driver that I can find and I have the same problem with my USB cable using Windows 8(sic). The last one wants $29.95 to fix missing drivers. All I want to do is program my 346XT like I did before.

Is there an updated cable or do I need to buy an older computer with Windows XP?

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
At the very end of this article from our wiki - links are always blue, by the way - we have links to specific fixes for Win8 issues...

Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki

However none of this will work if the cable you got is one of those el cheapo ones from FleaBay. The Chinese have been flooding the market with some knock-offs, and at least one chip distributor (Prolific) will refuse to load ANY drivers with these cables. Beware of these...Mike

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I ran into the same problem with a cheap USB-serial cable for programming Baofeng radios. I got a cheap one (faux Prolific chipset) and it would not work no matter what driver I used. I got a more expensive one from US dealer (FTDI chipset), and it worked the first time I plugged it in with no issues whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.