3rd Rescue

KB18

Does anyone know what it means when Bristol fire dispatches a 3rd rescue for a single patient For example I heard Bristol fire dispatch a 3rd rescue for a person having difficulty breathing I'm thinking how many rescues are needed for one person

danwilks84

Premium Subscriber
It just means it's the 3rd rescue they have out on calls at that time. Not the 3rd rescue to that one call. The first two rescues are probably at other calls. Hope that makes sense.

danwilks84

Premium Subscriber
I'm not really sure why they dispatch that way. Bristol and Warren are the only departments I hear use 2nd rescue, 3rd rescue, etc. I'm sure there is a good reason, I just don't hear many other departments do it that way.

KB18

I'm sure they have their reasons but to the unaware scanner listeners it is totally confusing

The reason why they mention 2nd or 3rd rescue to let personnel aware that the primary rescue is out on a call. The primary rescue is staffed with people waiting at the station for calls. Bristol and Warren are still volunteer departments. The 2nd or 3rd call in a short period time requires people to come from home or work to answer the call. People at home might not be aware that the staff rescue is already out on a call or out of town at the hospital when other calls come in for those towns.