4 ohm or 8 ohm speaker and Audio Filter settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

MB

Feed Provider
Just curious what the difference in a 4 ohm and 8 ohm speaker would be. My radio's (ICOM IC-F521) instructions say that I can use either. Would it be better to use 4 or 8 ohm? Is their any advantage to one over the other?

I tried an 8 ohm Motorola speaker with the radio and the sound is kind of deep, almost to deep. Would a 4 ohm speaker make it sound better?

Also noted that my radio has the option to change the audio filter settings. There are 4 options: 300-3000Hz, 0-3000Hz, 300-3400Hz, 0-3400Hz. I have tried all 4 and their is not much difference. Which setting should I use?

Any help would be appreciated!

Al42

MB said:
I tried an 8 ohm Motorola speaker with the radio and the sound is kind of deep, almost to deep. Would a 4 ohm speaker make it sound better?
Changing from an 8 ohm speaker to a 4 ohm speaker will change the volume (which way depends on whether the radio's output stage is current driving or voltage driving) but, for the same speaker, it won't change the frequency range - that has nothing to do with impedance.
Also noted that my radio has the option to change the audio filter settings. There are 4 options: 300-3000Hz, 0-3000Hz, 300-3400Hz, 0-3400Hz. I have tried all 4 and their is not much difference. Which setting should I use?
For communication quality audio you want the 1st or 3rd, but if the speaker is already "shaped", you won't notice any difference - the 2nd and 4th just give you more bass if the speaker can reproduce it. (Little speakers in little boxes usually can't.)

MB

Feed Provider
Al42 said:
Changing from an 8 ohm speaker to a 4 ohm speaker will change the volume (which way depends on whether the radio's output stage is current driving or voltage driving) but, for the same speaker, it won't change the frequency range - that has nothing to do with impedance.For communication quality audio you want the 1st or 3rd, but if the speaker is already "shaped", you won't notice any difference - the 2nd and 4th just give you more bass if the speaker can reproduce it. (Little speakers in little boxes usually can't.)

Thanks Al42..

Just curious about the audio filter function? Like I said there are 4 options: 300-3000Hz, 0-3000Hz, 300-3400Hz, 0-3400Hz. Now if I select 300-3400Hz will the radio filter out this frequency range or does it let this frequency range through to the speaker?

This has me confused, because it is called an audio filter so it sounds like it filters out 300-3400Hz.

Status
Not open for further replies.