40 Meter USB Usage

N9JIG

Sheriff
I don't do a lot of HF stuff but recently 40 Meters has been hopping so I have been scrolling around the band. I ran across a group tonight (about 0200 GMT) of guys operating in USB mode instead of LSB on 7244 KHz.

Is this common or just a group doing their own thing?

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
I don't do a lot of HF stuff but recently 40 Meters has been hopping so I have been scrolling around the band. I ran across a group tonight (about 0200 GMT) of guys operating in USB mode instead of LSB on 7244 KHz.

Is this common or just a group doing their own thing?
There has been a military collector net on 40m for probably 30yrs or more running USB. Used to be on 7.296 and fairly large spanning the whole US but now its a smaller group and they move around to avoid idiots who actually think running USB is illegal and try to jam them. Many of the radios used by the group can only do USB like some mil surplus units and surplus HF marine rigs. There are a lotta really smart radios guys on that net, you can learn a lot.

mass-man

trying to retire...
Premium Subscriber
Hmmm....there is a group local to me that uses 7270 USB most mornings. Don't recall hearing another instance of USB on 40.

merlin

Operation modes are not written in stone. Most amateurs use LSB on 40 and mentioned some small groups/nets use USB.
USB is also much the standard for digital modes, again, not written in stone.

prcguy

Premium Subscriber
Operation modes are not written in stone. Most amateurs use LSB on 40 and mentioned some small groups/nets use USB.
USB is also much the standard for digital modes, again, not written in stone.
But over the years there has been a number of hams who came across a 40m USB net and proclaimed you guys are operating illegally, then when the net explained the rules and that they were legal and not bothering anyone, the visitor commenced jamming them.

If you want to flush out the low IQ hams on a band, switch side bands and bait your hook.

N9JIG

Sheriff
This was the first time I had heard USB on 40. They sounded like a legit group of guys so it could have been that Military collectors group. They finished up before I heard too much content however.

I recently discovered my 20M dipole actually works better on 40 than 20 for some reason so I might hang out there more.