40' Tilt over update

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
Hey Guys,
Sorry about the delay. 7 Days a week is just killing me to do anything after work. But I have this weekend off and and installing the antennas and cables and will put some pics on here first. Also will take some pics of the winch operation
I will update the wiki as well.
Here's a antenna teaser
100_1179.jpg

Take care

Last edited:

jrs71

I think that 800MHz yagi is a Wilson 301111? I just put one of those up two weeks ago and love it! Mine is at 40' and I used LMR-400 U/F -- works GREAT. Last night I picked up an 800MHz EDACS system 93 miles away.

Cool looking tilt-over. I'm also anxious to see the finished product. Good luck!

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
More updates

Hey Guys,

Took a few pics for the mast and updated the wiki. Took all day to paint and mount the rotor and run all the cables in the mast but well worth it because it still looks sleek.
Hope you guys like.
100_1187.jpg

The cables ready to be connected
100_1189.jpg

Whole bunch of cables. 2 75' lenghts of LMR-400 and 2 75' lenghts Commscope RG-6 quad shield and the rotor cable.
100_1191.jpg

kf4lne

installing the cable in the pipe like that should help cut down on noise coming from the house. very nice, very professional looking. Can't wait to see it performing its intended function - put some antennas up! So what are the RG6 runs for?

Last edited:

mancow

Database Admin
How is that going to work when you tilt it? Won't you need a bunch of extra wire loose for slack? It looks like that one wire is going into an underground conduit but maybe I'm not looking at it right.

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
Antenna pics finally!

Hi guys,
Finally put my antennas up and updated the wiki. I hope everyone enjoyed seeing this project and enjoyed putting pics and the info for this.
Thanks
100_1196.jpg

100_1197.jpg

100_1203.jpg

Here is where the cable runs
100_1199.jpg

100_1201.jpg

100_1200.jpg

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
Hi Dan,
The RG-6 is for the Discone and one is spare. The LMR-400 is for the Wilson 800 mhz and the DPD-LP Log. Thanks Dave at DPD productions for the antenna it is great!!.

kf4lne said:
installing the cable in the pipe like that should help cut down on noise coming from the house. very nice, very professional looking. Can't wait to see it performing its intended function - put some antennas up! So what are the RG6 runs for?

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
mancow said:
How is that going to work when you tilt it? Won't you need a bunch of extra wire loose for slack? It looks like that one wire is going into an underground conduit but maybe I'm not looking at it right.

Hey Mancow,
The cable that looks like it is going in the ground is the grounding cables to the ground rod.

kf4lne

THAT is just freaking SEXY...Some day when i have the time and hardware I will install something like that here. But for now, since I have only recently moved here, I will be sticking with my current mast. BTW, The little maple leaf on the discone is a nice touch :) i used to fly my jolly roger on my j-pole, especially when out playing radio on the top of some mountain :)

Last edited:

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Excellent update! I'm starting the ball rolling to build me one of them! :) It looks like all the pipe and required welding will run me in the area of $300. I need to gather a little more LMR-400 as well I think. I can't wait to get my yagi out of the attic and up about 35 with a clear view!

And the flag was indeed a nice touch! Another idea that I think I'll steal :)

K8PBX

Really nice construction and cabling work Ron. Everything is done very professional and clean. Please let us know how the antennas perform.

Just wondering about a common ground point for all the antenna shields. Do you have some sort of grounding bulkhead inside the utility box on the house, or you doing that elsewhere?

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
K8PBX said:
Really nice construction and cabling work Ron. Everything is done very professional and clean. Please let us know how the antennas perform.

Just wondering about a common ground point for all the antenna shields. Do you have some sort of grounding bulkhead inside the utility box on the house, or you doing that elsewhere?

Thanks for the comments guys!. The grounding bulkhead is going elsewhere where all the cables end which is the other side of the house in the basement.
As far as the performance, I just had to connect something up because the silence on the scanners scared me LOL. So I connected the wilson up and I can say HOLY SMOKES,
I am grabing a 800 MHZ system at 3 to 4 bars on the BCT-15 pointed west and never got on the discone. Then again I only had the RG-6 on the discone. The Wilson is connected with the LMR-400.
So for now the performance is awesome on the Wilson beam!!!
I will work on getting it all connected soon. For now my hands need a break from pulling all the cables, hands are full of blisters LOL:lol:

safetyobc

Ron, you should go into business as a consultant or something. That is very professional looking. I would be willing to bet that most Public Safety towers don't look that neat.

Great Job!

Status
Not open for further replies.