40' Tilt over update

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC8JPZ

Premium Subscriber
Great craftmenship. Looks like you just about have it whipped. Looking forward to seeing the finished build.I'd say you probably know this but be careful if that pipe is galved. Those fumes can make some multi colored loogies. I hear it's not good for you either.... . .

Keep up the good work.

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
KC8JPZ said:
Great craftmenship. Looks like you just about have it whipped. Looking forward to seeing the finished build.I'd say you probably know this but be careful if that pipe is galved. Those fumes can make some multi colored loogies. I hear it's not good for you either.... . .

Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the kind words. No, the pipe is regular black pipe and are aware of the dangers of those nasty fumes.
Can't wait to put up the VHF_LP from DPD Productions on the rotor. Then the discone below it and a 800MHZ Omni from Sinclair.
So it should be good!

n3ncn

Premium Subscriber
Looks good. You are taking your time not to hurry and make a bad mistake. The paint job also looks good. Can't wait to see the final product. Hurry :)

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
n3ncn said:
Looks good. You are taking your time not to hurry and make a bad mistake. The paint job also looks good. Can't wait to see the final product. Hurry :)

I am trying to hurry but still want to do a mint job. Just finished painting the 2" mast.
Tomorrow is the final painting of the 1 1/2" top mast.
Can't wait to show you guys the final product!.:D

n3ncn

Premium Subscriber
It looks great. I don't have that much patiants. That's why I still rubber duck it. Actually I own a 30' tower in Maryland. Just don't know if it's worth it to me 20 years later to go and take it down..do any needed maintenance and bring it down here to NC. You are doing a great job.

KC8JPZ

Premium Subscriber
I do think you have made my mind up for me. I am buying a house and it has clearence issues with power lines along the one side and the back property line. I don't think I will be there long enough to justify a tower. So, I am going to build a mast simmilar to yours. I'm sure I will refer to your pictures and explanation. Thank you for taking the time to do what you have done.It will definetly help me and others as well.

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
KC8JPZ said:
I do think you have made my mind up for me. I am buying a house and it has clearence issues with power lines along the one side and the back property line. I don't think I will be there long enough to justify a tower. So, I am going to build a mast simmilar to yours. I'm sure I will refer to your pictures and explanation. Thank you for taking the time to do what you have done.It will definetly help me and others as well.

Wow thanks for the kind words Jim. This is why I wanted to put the info up in the wiki so it will always be there for people to see and hopefully use. Still have to put some pics on the winch operation.
I can't stress enough to buy a good winch, you have to be careful when raising and lowering this beast.
I would love for you to put some pics on here so we can all see!
Take care

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
MacombMonitor said:
Looks excellent! No code problems with being so close to the gas meter?

Hey Bill,
No, I had an old tv tower there before, and I ask the Gas Tech and he said it was just fine(I hope).

kb2unk

Wow! Fantastic job! You certainly have a knack for welding and great metal craftsmanship for sure! Very nice job so far and I can't wait to see more progress photos! Yes, please keep us all posted here for sure! What is the total height going to be from the ground to the top of most upper antenna on the mast?

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
tonsoffun said:
I updated the wiki again with more pics. I had to cut it down to 32'. It was just to high.
http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/Tilt-Over_Mast

Now to install the rotor and antennas!
Take care

I noticed you said you are going to use a winch to raise and lower the mast. I have seen lots of flagpoles that use this same design. Many of them have a long narrow steel counterweight welded or bolted to the bottom of the mast so the pole can be raised or lowered with a minimum of effort, possibly by hand with no winch involved. Something you may want to look into.

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
W4KRR said:
I noticed you said you are going to use a winch to raise and lower the mast. I have seen lots of flagpoles that use this same design. Many of them have a long narrow steel counterweight welded or bolted to the bottom of the mast so the pole can be raised or lowered with a minimum of effort, possibly by hand with no winch involved. Something you may want to look into.

Hey Ken,
Ya I was thinking of doing that but didn't get around to it. Remember that the mast is about 150 pounds roughly so you would need a pretty good counter weight.
The mast pivets at the bottom so it would be difficult to do that.
Take care

K8PBX

Pretty slick setup Ron. Nice work!

I'm anxious to see the continuing series of pics, all the way through to completion with antennas, rotor, winch, etc.

Please keep the updates coming.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I've been thinking about an outdoor antenna arrangement of some sort for a while, and had sort of settled on a tower. When I broke the news to the wife, she was less than thrilled. However I think this project just may make it thru the approval committee :)

I look foreward to seeing the final product with the winch and antennas attached. I would like to get my 800mhz Yagi & rotor up 25' or so, with a discone and vhf antenna also up there. As it stands now, I have the vhf antenna in the attic and it works great for Fleetnet (I can pull in about 6 sites around me). I can only imagine how great it would perform cranked up in the air!

tonsoffun

Senior Moderator
Premium Subscriber
Forts said:
I've been thinking about an outdoor antenna arrangement of some sort for a while, and had sort of settled on a tower. When I broke the news to the wife, she was less than thrilled. However I think this project just may make it thru the approval committee :)

I look foreward to seeing the final product with the winch and antennas attached. I would like to get my 800mhz Yagi & rotor up 25' or so, with a discone and vhf antenna also up there. As it stands now, I have the vhf antenna in the attic and it works great for Fleetnet (I can pull in about 6 sites around me). I can only imagine how great it would perform cranked up in the air!

Hey Forts,

Thats exactly what I am putting up there!. I have the VHF-LP from DPD productions that is going at the top with a 800MHZ beam that is going to be spun around with the rotor.
Just below all that I'm putting the Diamond D130J Discone.
I have lots of room for experiment antennas as well to fart around with.
I may take some pics this weekend with the winch because I want to start mounting the antennas.
Take care

Status
Not open for further replies.