BCD396XT/BCD996XT: 400 MHz "UHF" P25 no band plan progr ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fleef

Kristin Cavazos Phoenix Arizona
Hi guys- wanting to program a system which will be UHF (400 MHz) and P25, but without a band plan. Here is a query just like mine in the archives: http://forums.radioreference.com/un...ming-p25-400-mhz-system-without-bandplan.html

Answers were a system can be Conventional and be P25, fine. I don't see a real answer in that archive.

What I am attempting to do is load a bunch of frequencies in from 406.00 all the way up to around 419 MHZ, just a spread of frequencies, not copied from any real working system. I want it to decode in P25, I can only find a way to program it where it will only modulate in FM or AM mode and not P25. There is no option in the scanner, and Freescan gives me an error and it won't take when I try to change the system setting to Motorola UHF. So, basically wanting to program a 400 MHz/UHF system that has no real band plan and have it decode P25. Just like using the "System Search" in the scanner but having it decode P25. In the System Search I can have it search under the Federal UHFs but no P25 decoding, so do you see what I am wanting to do?

I can try entering in a Motorola II new system, but there won't be any TG's. I'm only making up my own system with no band plan, only a series of frequencies from 406. on up.

Am I trying to do something impossible.. or do I need actual, working UHF frequencies to copy from a system in RR frequency database?

Thanks for any advice.

EDIT: found this earlier post today -here it is http://forums.radioreference.com/un...-bcd396xt-not-decoding-p25-during-search.html
was advice on how to decode Federal UHF in custom search answer was this :"since its digital, you need to set tone search to P25 nac search, rather than CTCSS search."

I can just do Custom Search instead of setting up a system (I really don't need to do a system anyway- just wanted to decode Federal UHF channels ) but how does one change in Custom Search to have it do that P25 NAC search? I don't see an option, there must be something I am missing. PS I have marksscanners Easier To Read manual thanks- I think there are a few things hidden in there making it impossible to find. THanks guys

Last edited:

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
P-25 is Fm modulation, and most federal frequencies are encrypted and you probably wont hear very much anyway.

ecps92

There are still Analog users in the Federal Bands, however much has gone to P25 (and Only YOU will be able to determine the ENC vs CLR issue for your own area - ignore the folks who spew the "You won't hear much anyway line" :twisted:

Band Plans are needed only if you are attempting to listen to a Trunked System.

Sounds like you are attempting to search or listen to Conventional channels, not a Trunk
So program them away, but...until you determine P25 or Analog [PL/DPL] in your area, use Automatic or program them Twice [Once as P25 and Once in Analog]

Hi guys- wanting to program a system which will be UHF (400 MHz) and P25, but without a band plan. Here is a query just like mine in the archives: http://forums.radioreference.com/un...ming-p25-400-mhz-system-without-bandplan.html

Answers were a system can be Conventional and be P25, fine. I don't see a real answer in that archive.

What I am attempting to do is load a bunch of frequencies in from 406.00 all the way up to around 419 MHZ, just a spread of frequencies, not copied from any real working system. I want it to decode in P25, I can only find a way to program it where it will only modulate in FM or AM mode and not P25. There is no option in the scanner, and Freescan gives me an error and it won't take when I try to change the system setting to Motorola UHF. So, basically wanting to program a 400 MHz/UHF system that has no real band plan and have it decode P25. Just like using the "System Search" in the scanner but having it decode P25. In the System Search I can have it search under the Federal UHFs but no P25 decoding, so do you see what I am wanting to do?

I can try entering in a Motorola II new system, but there won't be any TG's. I'm only making up my own system with no band plan, only a series of frequencies from 406. on up.

Am I trying to do something impossible.. or do I need actual, working UHF frequencies to copy from a system in RR frequency database?

Thanks for any advice.

EDIT: found this earlier post today -here it is http://forums.radioreference.com/un...-bcd396xt-not-decoding-p25-during-search.html
was advice on how to decode Federal UHF in custom search answer was this :"since its digital, you need to set tone search to P25 nac search, rather than CTCSS search."

I can just do Custom Search instead of setting up a system (I really don't need to do a system anyway- just wanted to decode Federal UHF channels ) but how does one change in Custom Search to have it do that P25 NAC search? I don't see an option, there must be something I am missing. PS I have marksscanners Easier To Read manual thanks- I think there are a few things hidden in there making it impossible to find. THanks guys

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
With the BCDx36HP scanners, you can find P25 doing a normal search or with Close Call. If you have the audio option set to search, it will attempt to decode audio from any digital signals it finds. If the freq is part of a trunked system, you may not follow conversations, but you'll hear something other than digital static.

fleef

There are still Analog users in the Federal Bands, however much has gone to P25 (and Only YOU will be able to determine the ENC vs CLR issue for your own area - ignore the folks who spew the "You won't hear much anyway line" :twisted:

Band Plans are needed only if you are attempting to listen to a Trunked System.

Sounds like you are attempting to search or listen to Conventional channels, not a Trunk
So program them away, but...until you determine P25 or Analog [PL/DPL] in your area, use Automatic or program them Twice [Once as P25 and Once in Analog]

Awesome- that's right, I forgot about that band plans are only needed for trunked systems. Thanks so much dude, trying to listen to these 400MHz frequencies in P25 has been a thorn in my side for a few yrs since i got this scanner. I'll go ahead and enter it under Conventional. I got a huge list of 400MHz frequencies from the Files section of the BCD996XT Yahoo group, one P25 one FM. I may ask in there if they know how to set it, too

Will the scanner decode in P25 though, after I program them in Conventional? Because my only options in modulation decoding is FM. NFM, AM and WFM in my scanner and on FreeScan when I try to make a new system that way.

I wonder if there's a way to do Custom Search for Federal UHFs and set it to P25? The only options I am seeing is plain old FMs.

I spent 4 hrs minimum just on this topic trying to figure out how I can do it.

ecps92

FM or NFM will work, you will need to experiment.
Most FEDS went NFM years ago, but your radio might hear them better in FM

Make a list, check it twice, make some logs and in a few weeks post what you find.

Hint - don't post active Surv Ops.

And don't forget most of the FEDS will likely be found in the 162-174 range in AZ :cool:
Awesome- that's right, I forgot about that band plans are only needed for trunked systems. Thanks so much dude, trying to listen to these 400MHz frequencies in P25 has been a thorn in my side for a few yrs since i got this scanner. I'll go ahead and enter it under Conventional. I got a huge list of 400MHz frequencies from the Files section of the BCD996XT Yahoo group, one P25 one FM. I may ask in there if they know how to set it, too

Will the scanner decode in P25 though, after I program them in Conventional? Because my only options in modulation decoding is FM. NFM, AM and WFM in my scanner and on FreeScan when I try to make a new system that way.

I wonder if there's a way to do Custom Search for Federal UHFs and set it to P25? The only options I am seeing is plain old FMs.

I spent 4 hrs minimum just on this topic trying to figure out how I can do it.

fleef

FM or NFM will work, you will need to experiment.
Most FEDS went NFM years ago, but your radio might hear them better in FM

Make a list, check it twice, make some logs and in a few weeks post what you find.

Hint - don't post active Surv Ops.

And don't forget most of the FEDS will likely be found in the 162-174 range in AZ :cool:

lol- yes, I never post active surveilling operations. It's pretty fun hearing how much is out there not encrypted. I've been long hip to the 162 to 173 ranges. But I already know about these and my question is about UHF.

So, I will NOT be able to alter the Custom Search on Fed UHF to P25 is this correct? Nor, create a new Conventional System (of random 400 MHz frequencies) to P25? The only option is in FM/NFM or AM? The scanner can't get 400 MHz in P25 at all? ? There doesn't seem to be an answer in the affirmative with this, or am I mistaken?
Is UPMan still around here, or anyone who's got an answer?

Thanks

Last edited:

ecps92

custom search and your original comment of custom bandplan are two different animals.

It does both Analog and P25
BCD996XT - The RadioReference Wiki

This site may help you out
Easier to Read BCD996P2/XT Digital Scanner Manual

lol- yes, I never post active surveilling operations. It's pretty fun hearing how much is out there not encrypted. I've been long hip to the 162 to 173 ranges. But I already know about these and my question is about UHF.

So, I will NOT be able to alter the Custom Search on Fed UHF to P25 is this correct? Nor, create a new Conventional System (of random 400 MHz frequencies) to P25? The only option is in FM/NFM or AM? The scanner can't get 400 MHz in P25 at all? ? There doesn't seem to be an answer in the affirmative with this, or am I mistaken?
Is UPMan still around here, or anyone who's got an answer?

Thanks

fleef

I have the Easier to Read manual. Here is all Ive found on UHF:
" **Edit Band Plan (Motorola Custom/P25/VHF/UHF only) Band plans are required so the scanner can correctly determine the voice channel frequencies.
For P25 Systems there are two types of P25 systems: Explicit mode and Implicit mode channel assignment. Explicit mode systems include all information needed to determine voice frequencies on the control channel. For Explicit mode systems, leave all entries blank. The system will automatically detect the band plan and fill in the entries. You must supply the system's band plan for Implicit systems for the scanner to correctly determine voice frequencies.** " But, I have no Band Plan ay there's the rub

Or, in Close Call Mode I could do this: "P25 NAC Search - the scanner searches and displays only NAC tones" while having it on CC in UHF band.. <<<<<<<< haven't tried this yet.
The 996XT gives modulation options of FM.NFM, AM or WFM in Custom Search bands (that's why you don't get the voices in Public Service searches in 800MHz channels, and only get the brrddddt sound) See? I am wanting a workaround so it won't do that brdrrdrdrdrt sound in UHF band.

I don't see how one can search of UHF from 406 to 420 and have it decode P25 transmissions

Tried entering in a conventional system in FreeScan under UHF motorola, it won't allow the option of P25 Neither will the scanner when I try programming by hand.

I am looking at both UPman's Uniden pdf on the scanner and Easier to Read BCD996T/XT.

cg

Premium Subscriber
It looks like you are overthinking it. You simply enter the search ranges and search. No programming P25, Trunking, Motorola, Band Plan, nothing. Easy

Just be sure to set the SEARCH/CLOSE CALL OPTIONS, TONE/CODE SEARCH option to P25 NAC search. If you have it on PL search, it does not decode the P25 voice traffic.

fleef

Thanx &quot;CG&quot;

It looks like you are overthinking it. You simply enter the search ranges and search. No programming P25, Trunking, Motorola, Band Plan, nothing. Easy

Just be sure to set the SEARCH/CLOSE CALL OPTIONS, TONE/CODE SEARCH option to P25 NAC search. If you have it on PL search, it does not decode the P25 voice traffic.

CG I think you are thinking right. Either way you answered the question and that's all I needed. I was just reading this in D Ortiz Uniden manual (which honestly I like BETTER than the "Easier to Read" version by mark's scanners) and I was thinking hmm I should just set the option to hit on NACs.

PS I am no noob but Ive only had a digital scanner for a couple or three yrs and being a housewife who's hobby is needlework but I have a sizeable collection of reception devices from analog scanners to satellite Ku receivers HF receivers, amateur transceivers (not a ham tho) SDR receivers and even rtl sdr to mess around with and I programmed it myself, my Boyfriend is no help as he isn't into it like I am go figure. Should be other way round. He doesn't know anything about how to work with the scanners or even my other receivers at all. I build my own antennas too and work the math myself. But sometimes the BCD confuses me at times as I am no expert at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.