400mhz Scanning Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncsflorida

Premium Subscriber
Hello - I'm a newbie to 400mhz scanning, I have a Uniden BCT8 but I've been unable to monitor any 400mhz medical frequencies. Specifically some counties in Northern Florida, I'm seriously doubting they're digital.

Can anyone help?

JoeyC

and instead of creating a duplicate thread there, (which is a no-no) you simply report the thread and ask for it to be moved. I've done just that.

shadcall

What and where exactly are you trying to monitor? There is a lot of territory in "northern Florida."

I'm assuming you have checked the Radio Reference database for what you want to monitor. It is possible that whatever you want to monitor has switched to a trunked system and is no longer using 400 mhz frequencies.

Just let us know more details and you will get plenty of assistance.

kg4ojj

Premium Subscriber

ncsflorida

Premium Subscriber
Sorry for the late reply, mostly Suwannee, Lafayette, Dixie, Gilchrist, Columbia. I have been able to pickup Dixie in the past but never Suwannee, Lafayette, or Columbia.

Currently I'm looking into buying a new scanner, considering the BCT15x upgrading from a BCT8, in case anyone has suggestions.

shadcall

The problem may be that if I am not mistaken UHF frequencies do not travel as far as VHF frequencies. I know I have all the med channels in my scanner but rarely hear anything on them even though I have an outside antenna.

You might be to far to hear all the counties you want to listen too. Here is another listing of frequencies from RR database. Even though it says it is Michigan, the UHF frequencies are nationwide. Supplement that list with the list provided by Jay (above post) and you will have them all.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=2436

As far as recommending a scanner, I don't have any knowledge of the one you mention. I have all Radio Shack scanners. If all you want to listen to is medical you can find a good scanner at a reasonable price. If the area you are in has any digital channels you may want to get one like the Radio Shack Pro 106 or the Uniden scanners that can pick up digital.

kg4ojj

Premium Subscriber
Thanks, shadcall for the extra stuff.

In Florida, you can ignore all of the Medic-102, 202, etc. assignments.

Each hospital, in NC and NE Florida at least, use Medic 12, 22, 32, etc. as assigned.

The original 7 MED channels (463.000 - 463.100) are typically used as county medical control/coordination and abbreviated in Florida EMS guides as CMC.

Here are the two counties I listen to frequently:

Suwannee County FL = MED-06 & MED-72 (ER) (both use PL of 156.7)

Columbia County FL = MED-01, MED-07, MED-42 (VAMC ER), MED-52 (LCMC ER), MED-72 (Shands ER); all use PL 131.8.

shadcall

Thanks Jay for posting verified frequencies. As I mentioned I have them plugged in but rarely hear anything. It dawned on me after my other post today that the reason I rarely hear them is because the county I live in (Volusia) has one ambulance service which is part of the counties 800 trunked system and so there is no need for the Med channels.

Since you are receiving the 400 MHZ channels in your county it may be a location issue for the OP, ncsflorida or the need for an external antenna.

ncsflorida

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the replies, I do have an external antenna (ST-2) by the way. Does anyone happen to have tens & signals for Lafayette or an updated list for Suwannee? Maybe someone can answer what a "CP" is, I hear it on both Suwannee and Lafayette SO frequencies sometimes, guessing it must be a patrol area or something.

shadcall

Usually its a deputy not a citizen, they call it out like "CP16" or "CP1".

It still might be "citizen's patrol." I know in my county they call them COP's short for citizen observation patrol or maybe it's citizen's on patrol, but they call in like you are saying other than here it is COP 50 for example will call in. So CP 16 or CP 1 could be the unit number they are assigned.

ncsflorida

Premium Subscriber
I'm seriously doubting it's citizens patrol considering how small the counties are, in terms of department size.

Anyone have leads on the 10 codes & signals for both counties?

ncsflorida

Premium Subscriber
@kg4ojj no that's not them, I know a signal 36 is an alarm in Lafayette (that's the codes I'm looking for) and a signal 88 is a 911 hangup from what I've deciphered.

Status
Not open for further replies.