409.2750 W.N.C.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaFive

Picked up a new one this morning that I'll be working on today. 409.2750 with a DPL of 226. The discussion sound like vehicle to vehicle. The were operating in the area of Waynesville, which is half way between Asheville N.C. and the Tennessee border. The phrase was used "release the U guard".
A quick internet scan shows U guard could be some type of insulator for utilities, or pellets for horses. There are a few scattered uses in R.R. from Correctional Institutions, to the Postal Service, to the U.S.A.F. I found no references to W.N.C. I let you know what else comes up, nothing since the single transmission around 1100 est.

ecps92

Where is your nearest USPS Sorting & Processing Facility ? :wink:
Picked up a new one this morning that I'll be working on today. 409.2750 with a DPL of 226. The discussion sound like vehicle to vehicle. The were operating in the area of Waynesville, which is half way between Asheville N.C. and the Tennessee border. The phrase was used "release the U guard".
A quick internet scan shows U guard could be some type of insulator for utilities, or pellets for horses. There are a few scattered uses in R.R. from Correctional Institutions, to the Postal Service, to the U.S.A.F. I found no references to W.N.C. I let you know what else comes up, nothing since the single transmission around 1100 est.

AlphaFive

Thanks for that

Ahh, the T.V.A. to the best of my knowledge they operate dam facilities here in N.C. to the west.. I will look through the N.T.I.A. information. Good thinking reference the sorting facility. Unfortunately W.N.C. does not exist on the USPS map. Our nearest processing facility is now in the next state, down in Greenville South Carolina. I can only pull in the strongest V.H.F. signals from that area. I'll mark that down as an 'unlikley', at least for today. Thanks again..

ecps92

A Quick google returned

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sectional_center_facility#North_Carolina
in particular - 591 Brevard Rd, Asheville, NC 28810

http://lifesouth.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/13-OTHER_List_of_DSCFs.pdf

Ahh, the T.V.A. to the best of my knowledge they operate dam facilities here in N.C. to the west.. I will look through the N.T.I.A. information. Good thinking reference the sorting facility. Unfortunately W.N.C. does not exist on the USPS map. Our nearest processing facility is now in the next state, down in Greenville South Carolina. I can only pull in the strongest V.H.F. signals from that area. I'll mark that down as an 'unlikley', at least for today. Thanks again..

AlphaFive

USPS

Yeah, unfortunately it is used as an office annex now, the sorting moved out about five years ago. They mostly removed the signs from the place and don't advertise that it exists locally. So, end result being, if I send a letter to my next door neighbor, it WILL go through Greenville, haaa, got off topic , but I find the process they use pretty funny. I'm going to sit on this frequency today, that's my life

ecps92

-k then.....
I would still go USPS as the UHF for TVA were generally as part of a TRS, so no PL/DPL would be sent.
Yeah, unfortunately it is used as an office annex now, the sorting moved out about five years ago. They mostly removed the signs from the place and don't advertise that it exists locally. So, end result being, if I send a letter to my next door neighbor, it WILL go through Greenville, haaa, got off topic , but I find the process they use pretty funny. I'm going to sit on this frequency today, that's my life

Last edited:

AlphaFive

USPS

I agree with you... I'm not going to enter this freq. in my list, and onto my 536HP as anything but 'Unknown' until I get something further. Too bad for me I have way too many unknowns......I did scroll through the entire N.T.I.A. document, found a general reference to T.V.A., but nothing to attach a specific band to it. I could have easily missed it, but looks like it may have been a general reference. I will carry on

AZDon

Premium Subscriber
FYI agencies are all assinged frequencies by the NTIA but when an agency cant use its own for some reason or is out of frequencies they simply borrow frequencies from another another agency. Once a month each agency such as Postal, Justice, DOD, Treasury ... meet in WDC at the Commerce building to sort through problems like this. If an agency has an unasigned frequency, or one they can share they will offer it to anothe agency. Generally, the frequency is loaned out for a term of 5 years but most get used much longer than that. Dont be fooled by NTIA frequency lists,

AlphaFive

N.T.I.A.

Yes Sir, that is certainly true. That's why until I hear who released the "U Guard", it remains in the unknown file, gathering cobwebs, thanks for your help

INDY72

Monitoring since 1982, using radios since 1991.
Premium Subscriber
Yes Sir, that is certainly true. That's why until I hear who released the "U Guard", it remains in the unknown file, gathering cobwebs, thanks for your help

I can hear The X Files theme music in the background every time myself or others talk about those unknowns that are floating in scanners. As for that one, you may have caught an UHF Duct from any of the facilities within 500 miles of you, most likely South/Southwest or West of you.

Status
Not open for further replies.