42 MHz skip alive in East TN

Status
Not open for further replies.

wcu02mpa

I am new to the forum. Name is Mike, HAM call AF4AY, GMRS call WQCP729. I live in Asheville NC, but am visiting in Knoxville TN this weekend. I took my Pro-97 and a telescoping antenna out to the pool today for a few hours. Holy smokes is lowband skip alive today. I set my search for 42-43 and let it roll. I also programmed in about every 42, 44 and 45 MHz state LEO frequency I could find and scanned that way as well . I was hearing a state base on 42.40 attempting to hear traffic from a mobile unit. Her reply was: "repeat traffic as out of state comms are covering you up". She had to repeat this multiple times.

Here in Knoxville lowband is very active on both 42 and 45 MHz (45 has lowband repeater traffic). 42.56, 42.42, 42.36 and 45.70

I am going to attempt some loggings and post them here. There were so many today that I just couldn't remember them all. I will also try and log some PL tones so that might help identify who they are.

Looking forward to the forums. I will be particularly active here as I am a VHF low skip scanner buff.

Mike AF4AY

wcu02mpa

Skip down for the evening

Well I went for some loggings after lunch nothing.......I will try again tomorrow. What I noticed particularly strong were the cars calling into the base. I could hear Greensboro (NCSHP) cars calling into Greensboro and hear Greensboro respond (42 mixed freq's). I could also here Wilmington, E-town freq's as well. I could also hear the car to car traffic (mostly..."when's lunch") clear as a bell.

I came over for Knoxville Hamfest today (which was pretty good as the tail-gate section was free) and unfortunately all my HAM gear for low-band is at home. I did bring several scanners so I'll be at it in the morning....

Mike AF4AY

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I was hearing NC and TN Highway Patrol on a few frequencies in the 42 MHz region around 6 PM EST. 6 Meters was really jumping.

73 Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.