427th Reconnaissance Squadron Call Signs

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmastrk

On 18 February 2014 at approximately 11:15 PM, two MC-12W were inbound to Beale Air Force Base. A transmission from an aircraft passing overhead along the lines of "Spartan 53, gear down." Roughly five minutes later, a broken transmission was picked up and I made out what sounded like "Cougar 53" at the opening. I've listened to the aircraft at night from time to time and I believe they've always used the call sign Cougar. However, the 427th Reconnaissance Squadron's web site clearly indicates they are the Spartans. After searching the web, the only reference I found to the call sign Spartan was for OPS ArNG Sacramento, CA. Can anybody possibly assist in clearing this dual call sign situation up with me?

REFERENCES
Military Comms Military Callsign Database Search - Spartan
Military Comms Military Callsign Database Search - Cougar
Factsheets : 427th Reconnaissance Squadron

kma371

QRT
On 18 February 2014 at approximately 11:15 PM, two MC-12W were inbound to Beale Air Force Base. A transmission from an aircraft passing overhead along the lines of "Spartan 53, gear down." Roughly five minutes later, a broken transmission was picked up and I made out what sounded like "Cougar 53" at the opening. I've listened to the aircraft at night from time to time and I believe they've always used the call sign Cougar. However, the 427th Reconnaissance Squadron's web site clearly indicates they are the Spartans. After searching the web, the only reference I found to the call sign Spartan was for OPS ArNG Sacramento, CA. Can anybody possibly assist in clearing this dual call sign situation up with me?

REFERENCES
Military Comms Military Callsign Database Search - Spartan
Military Comms Military Callsign Database Search - Cougar
Factsheets : 427th Reconnaissance Squadron

I believe the call sign is SPARTA not SPARTAN but the fact sheet does say SPARTAN. I pick them up on ADS-B using mode S when they fly into KSCK doing practice landings.

jsoergel

COUGAR is the 489th RS, SPARTA is the 427th RS.

cmastrk

Thanks all for the information. I wasn't aware of two RS operating MC-12 here at Beale. Now that this has been made obvious, that will make my evenings watching their maneuvers much clearer!

BMT

09-0662 SPARTA55 2014-02-26 23:57:20 MC-12W United States USAF | 9RW | 489RS [KBAB]

Status
Not open for further replies.