• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

430-470Mhz antenna on 403-470 ht 750?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MttM1250

I'm not radio savy so this might be a dumb question. Can I use a 430-470Mhz UHF antenna on my UHF ht 750 that's 403-470MHz without harming it? Or should I just buy a 403-470MHz antenna?

K4EET

Chaplain
Hi Jackv11 and welcome to Radio Reference! There are no dumb questions around here...

To answer your question, that depends on what frequencies your Motorola HT750 is programmed for. Are you below 430 MHz by much?

MttM1250

Hi Jackv11 and welcome to Radio Reference! There are no dumb questions around here...

To answer your question, that depends on what frequencies your Motorola HT750 is programmed for. Are you below 430 MHz by much?

Thank you for your response.
I checked in CPS and every channel in "Conventional Personality" is set to 470.000000MHz so is that fine if I don't go below 430 with these antennas?

K4EET

Chaplain
Thank you for your response.
I checked in CPS and every channel in "Conventional Personality" is set to 470.000000MHz so is that fine if I don't go below 430 with these antennas?
It sounds like your Motorola HT750 is not programmed for anything yet. The antenna needs to match your operational frequencies.

N5XPM

To narrow in a bit, the key factor is the frequencies you will transmit on. If you will transmit only between 430 and 470, you are good to go. If you transmit only from 450 to 470, you could even go narrower with a 450 to 470 antenna, with possibly better results. A 450 to 470 antenna should receive adequately from 430 to 490 or so with no damage to the radio.

MttM1250

To narrow in a bit, the key factor is the frequencies you will transmit on. If you will transmit only between 430 and 470, you are good to go. If you transmit only from 450 to 470, you could even go narrower with a 450 to 470 antenna, with possibly better results. A 450 to 470 antenna should receive adequately from 430 to 490 or so with no damage to the radio.
Thank you for clearing this up!

MttM1250

It sounds like your Motorola HT750 is not programmed for anything yet. The antenna needs to match your operational frequencies.
I seemed to have made a mistake. Every channel has a different frequency, as seen on CPS. I have 13 units (750's and 1250's) that work with each other on channel five that are all set to 470. So as long as
I transmit between 430 and 470 with these antennas; I should be good to go according to the user. Thank you for your help.

K2NEC

I seemed to have made a mistake. Every channel has a different frequency, as seen on CPS. I have 13 units (750's and 1250's) that work with each other on channel five that are all set to 470. So as long as
I transmit between 430 and 470 with these antennas; I should be good to go according to the user. Thank you for your help.
Dare I ask what you are using these radios for?

hill

Premium Subscriber
Going forward you need a FCC licence to use that frequency that is programmed into the radio already and looks just to be just a random one programmed in the radio.

You can't just use the 470 frequency already programmed into the radio, since you don't have licence for it. You can land in hot water and be in big legal trouble if you interfere with a licensed user

You could use it for 70 CM ham radio is you have a ham radio licence.

If these radios are Type Accepted for GMRS and you have licence from the FCC for this service you can use it on GMRS.

MttM1250

Dare I ask what you are using these radios for?

I won't be doing anything with them until I legally can, but I originally intended to hand them out to my employees at a private warehouse. We decided to go with analog and these specific models because they're a lot cheaper due to them being older, and they work well.

Tech21

Get fully licensed and it's probably best to at least consult with your local radio shop to get properly licensed. Don't just choose random frequencies and start talking on them because you may just choose one that happens to be already used and you will just cause interference and possible get an FCC sniffer on you.

K4EET

Chaplain
Jackv11, should you get the crazy idea to use those radios without FCC authorization, you might want to take a look at this first. A friend of mine works for the FCC's Enforcement Bureau (EB) and they are very good at what they do. If you have a minute, take a look at some of the $75,000 fines o_O they have recently handed out headlined on their homepage (just click on the banner below):

I doubt if you want to see your warehouse listed there. So please do the right thing...

MttM1250

Jackv11, should you get the crazy idea to use those radios without FCC authorization, you might want to take a look at this first. A friend of mine works for the FCC's Enforcement Bureau (EB) and they are very good at what they do. If you have a minute, take a look at some of the $75,000 fines o_O they have recently handed out headlined on their homepage (just click on the banner below):

I doubt if you want to see your warehouse listed there. So please do the right thing...
Thank you for sharing this. After doing some research, I'll probably just use an FRS frequency with the authorized FRS bandwidth since I can't use GMRS at a business.

Status
Not open for further replies.