BCD436HP/BCD536HP: 435 Boots As 536

Status
Not open for further replies.

ki6asp

Premium Subscriber
I was writing to the 436 when I realized the profile was incorrect. I clicked on the Cancel button and canceled to write. This cause the card to become corrupt. Cancel should not be an option if corruption occurs. I installed a backup 536 card and the 436 booted, and the boot message stated that this was a 536, not a 436. I changed the profile to my 436 profile and wrote to the 436, but it still boots as a 536. I cleared user data and wrote the 436 profile to the 436, but it still boots as a BCD536HP. Any ideas why this is happening? The 436 operates correctly otherwise.

Thanks

MStep

I was writing to the 436 when I realized the profile was incorrect. I clicked on the Cancel button and canceled to write. This cause the card to become corrupt. Cancel should not be an option if corruption occurs. I installed a backup 536 card and the 436 booted, and the boot message stated that this was a 536, not a 436. I changed the profile to my 436 profile and wrote to the 436, but it still boots as a 536. I cleared user data and wrote the 436 profile to the 436, but it still boots as a BCD536HP. Any ideas why this is happening? The 436 operates correctly otherwise.

Thanks

Sounds like you need to go into Sentinel, enter Edit and then Edit Profile. Go to the Display tab and you will find "Opening Message"--- just change it to whatever you like, save the profile and reload it to your scanner. That's what I would look at first. Try that while I think of other things that would cause that, although it sounds like it's just the opening message that's telling you that you have a 536.

Let me know what happens.

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
This is a harmless situation - program files are interchangeable between 436 and 536.

The opening screen is just that - something to look at. At least for a while, the opening screen on some scanners said "Barecat" not "Bearcat" but otherwise functioned normally.

Voyager

You can set the display to show anything you want. You could set it to display BC210XLT if you want. That doesn't mean it's a BC210XLT. All that means is that you wrote a profile that had BCD536HP as the opening message.

I always change mine to:

Property Of:
(name)
(phone number)
(profile name) <-- a relic from when you needed multiple profiles

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
As Voyager pointed out above, you can change that opening message to anything you want... it has no bearing on the functionality of the scanner.

It is an often commented on situation when folks see something on that screen that wasn't there before, or is different than what was expected and they don't realize it was something they may have done that changed it.

When writing to the scanner, what ever text is in the "opening message" box from the "display options" tab in the Profile Editor at that time will show up on the opening screen when the scanner is booted.

If you have a 436 and have customized that opening screen in the profile editor and set up your favorites lists, and then wish to load those same favorites lists to a 536.... the opening message that you had set for the 436 will now show on your 536 as well as your favorites lists etc. - it's all part of the profile.

If you have a 536 and have it set in Sentinel to show a certain message, and then you "read from" a 436 to that same profile in Sentinel, your 536 message will be overwritten with the message that was in the 436. When you write to your 536, the message that was in the 436 will now show on your 536 opening screen.

In reference to ofd8001's post above..... there was a version of Sentinel that had the incorrect spelling of "Barecat" as the default "opening message" for the default profile when you downloaded the software. New scanners had the correct spelling of "Bearcat" loaded in them as the opening message from the factory. As soon as you wrote to the scanner with anything you changed in Sentinel, the incorrect spelling in Sentinel overwrote the correct spelling in the scanner. It surprised a lot of people as to how it happened.

Setting what you want for text in that "opening message" box, and then "writing" to the scanner will definitely change it.

In the VERY rare instance that it refuses to change by doing that, your SD card has become corrupted. The "opening message" text is stored in the "profile.cfg" file in the top level of the SD card and it is read by the scanner when it boots. A corrupted card can prevent that info from being overwritten by Sentinel with your changes. The OP may actually be experiencing that problem if he is unable to change the message.

If you have 2 or more of those scanners and want a different message to show on each of them, using separate profiles for them will keep each with it's own message.

Last edited:

ki6asp

Premium Subscriber
I edited the 436 profile by opening the Display Options tab and edited the Opening Message, which was referring to the 536. Changed that to 436 and all is normal in radio land.

Thanks again to all for your help.

MStep

I edited the 436 profile by opening the Display Options tab and edited the Opening Message, which was referring to the 536. Changed that to 436 and all is normal in radio land.

Thanks again to all for your help.

Glad to hear that. There are many, many settings in those Profile tabs that sometimes get overlooked and can cause unexpected things to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.