436 16 GB Installed Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I am attempting to find a solution to my SD card. I went to buy a larger GB for recording purposes. However, when I installed this new SD card it is saying I need to use Sentinel "Clear User Data." When I plug the scanner into the USB, open the Sentinel and attempt to activate the aforementioned function, it is not showing anything in the Sentinel box. The scanner, however, is is showing USB Mass Storage on the screen. Please, help me!

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
When you plug the scanner in and hit clear all data, a box to show the drives will pop up. Click on "Show All Drives" and the new card should come up.

JWJ

I installed a 32 gb micro-sd card today, and had the same issue you did.
I would try what N2MWE suggested, but
I resolved by:
1. creating blank folder on my PC, then using micro-sd card adapter to insert in my PC's Sd card slot.
2. copying from original micro sd to that previously created blank folder.
3. put newer micro sd card in adapter and then into slot on PC.
4. copied all contents of folder that was created in step 1.
5. put in scanner and it worked, however I did decide to do update from Sentinel just in case.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Nope

When you plug the scanner in and hit clear all data, a box to show the drives will pop up. Click on "Show All Drives" and the new card should come up.

Nope, I've plugged the scanner in about 20 times now. It does not show anything whatsoever in the boxes when I get to the "clear all data.". It is completely blank. I know what is wrong, the scanner is completely empty and it is not being recognized.

When you first turn the radio on without it being connected, it shows, the logo for Uniden 2014, the processing, please wait, the the SD card file error. Use Sentinel "Clear User Data" operation to initialize SD card.", then pluggend in, writing to SD card, then USB Mass storage while the back light remains on.

I re-formated the card, and reinstalled it into the radio. Then, the same cycles repeated. Now, I am again going back into Sentinel for what seems to be the 20th time. Yep, there it is once again, a completely blank screen. The Scanner still shows USB Mass Storage.

Last edited:

mitbr

Nope, I've plugged the scanner in about 20 times now. It does not show anything whatsoever in the boxes when I get to the "clear all data.". It is completely blank. I know what is wrong, the scanner is completely empty and it is not being recognized.

When you first turn the radio on without it being connected, it shows, the logo for Uniden 2014, the processing, please wait, the the SD card file error. Use Sentinel "Clear User Data" operation to initialize SD card.", then pluggend in, writing to SD card, then USB Mass storage while the back light remains on.

I re-formated the card, and reinstalled it into the radio. Then, the same cycles repeated. Now, I am again going back into Sentinel for what seems to be the 20th time. Yep, there it is once again, a completely blank screen. The Scanner still shows USB Mass Storage.

Put a check mark in display all drives....

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
I re-formated the SD card that came with the radio. There is nothing on it. What I would like to do is move the Sentinel data to the new 16 GB card and the install it into the radio. But, I don't know what to press in Sentinel to transfer the data from it to the SD card in the computer. I tell you one thing, if I go through this crap every time I change my batteries, this is going to be a heavily discounted radio. I am getting really annoyed despite the wonderful features of this radio. But, this is not a new issue with the 436HP. I have noticed HP-1 owners experience similar SD card problems.

Last edited:

mitbr

Ensnared take a deep breath your doing fine just follow the instructions we are giving you it will work I promise...

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Did you put a check mark in "show all drives" as suggested?

I am so confused. Previously, as suggested on page 82 at the top, I went in and "unchecked "Hide Empty Drives" in Windows tools>folder option>

Let me see what you're talking about. My brain is fried.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Show All Drives Checked-Action Finally

I want to know how to avoid this trip into Dante's Inferno every time I change my batteries. Did I do something wrong to bring this beast from the bowels of the earth? It is still showing USB Mass Storage on the radio, but it said it was writing to the scanner with a loading bar. I wonder if I need to go check that folder in Windows about unchecking hide empty drives? I still say this manual is loads better than the Easier to Read guide. It is straight to the point even though I'm still lost in the fog.

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
I re-formated the SD card that came with the radio. There is nothing on it. What I would like to do is move the Sentinel data to the new 16 GB card and the install it into the radio. But, I don't know what to press in Sentinel to transfer the data from it to the SD card in the computer. I tell you one thing, if I go through this crap every time I change my batteries, this is going to be a heavily discounted radio. I am getting really annoyed despite the wonderful features of this radio. But, this is not a new issue with the 436HP. I have noticed HP-1 owners experience similar SD card problems.

Having problems with something new can always be a frustrating thing. I don't think you'll need to go through that exercise anytime you need to change batteries.

Hang in there - you'll get it nailed down.

The image below shows that box you need to check, it's circled.

Also making a backup copy of your SD card as described in a previous post is strongly recommended.

Last edited:

mitbr

I want to know how to avoid this trip into Dante's Inferno every time I change my batteries. Did I do something wrong to bring this beast from the bowels of the earth? It is still showing USB Mass Storage on the radio, but it said it was writing to the scanner with a loading bar.

Congrats you got it working... anytime you put a new card fresh from the store in you have to clear all data.
If you are using a card that has data on it for your scanner you don't just place it into the scanner and turn the canner on.
Now go have a beer and enjoy your new toy you will like it,,,,
Tim

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Post Three Suggestion?

Having problems with something new can always be a frustrating thing. I don't think you'll need to go through that exercise anytime you need to change batteries.

Hang in there - you'll get it nailed down.

The image below shows that box you need to check, it's circled.

Also making a backup copy of your SD card as described in a previous post is strongly recommended.

You mean the suggestion to make a copy in post 3? I am going to attempt to do that. But, I'm going to need to review it. I suppose I could right click on the drive that holds the SD card, like my camera drive, and then move it to a document folder. Again, I will review and attempt this. Now that I've done all this, can I now unplug my scanner and see if it is working?

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Beer Still A Ways Off

When I unplugged the scanner, it said, nothing enabled when I turned it on. It suggested pressing "E" which I did. Now it says to wait, writing to SD card. It is still showing USB Mass Storage, but there is no loading bar showing on the scanner screen. I might need something much stronger than a beer. Yes, I have a 16 GB I want to install in this puppy, after I copy the SD card that is, for b/u.

Thanks guys. It is back to working. Again, I need to be very careful to avoid this glitch. I would not like to be traveling and have this happen on the road. I see others are also getting frustrated with & claiming they will return the radio.

So, live and learn. Wow, what a great bunch of folks helping me out! Now, for a beer!

Thanks all!

Last edited:

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Yes to to #3.

I would not "move" as that might cut the "stuff" from the SD card and stick it elsewhere when you still need it on the SD card. You want to Copy and Paste.

I believe you can unplug and try.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
B/U Done

Yes to to #3.

I would not "move" as that might cut the "stuff" from the SD card and stick it elsewhere when you still need it on the SD card. You want to Copy and Paste.

I believe you can unplug and try.

Man, I feel so much better today after having fixed this wonderful radio. Yes, I was wanting to slam it against the wall at one point last night. My neurons were short-circuiting, LOL.

I did as suggested in post #3. I put the information on a 16GB SD & installed it earlier today. Since the file is extremely small in comparison to the 4GB original SD card, I will also store a copy on my computer. I dropped the data onto a DVD-USB disc.

But, my biggest concern is this. How do I avoid getting the SD error in the first place? When I bought my PSR500, I was extremely careful about their warning issued about making sure you have the radio off and the power cord connected to the radio and wall before you turn it on. If you unplug this radio, they also suggested that you turn the radio off before disconnecting. Hence, my radio never crashed.

So, does anyone know how to avoid this SD card foible? I would hate to have this happen on the open road where I could not access a computer. I will surely put the 4GB in my car in case I'm somewhere without b/u.

mitbr

Man, I feel so much better today after having fixed this wonderful radio. Yes, I was wanting to slam it against the wall at one point last night. My neurons were short-circuiting, LOL.

I did as suggested in post #3. I put the information on a 16GB SD & installed it earlier today. Since the file is extremely small in comparison to the 4GB original SD card, I will also store a copy on my computer. I dropped the data onto a DVD-USB disc.

But, my biggest concern is this. How do I avoid getting the SD error in the first place? When I bought my PSR500, I was extremely careful about their warning issued about making sure you have the radio off and the power cord connected to the radio and wall before you turn it on. If you unplug this radio, they also suggested that you turn the radio off before disconnecting. Hence, my radio never crashed.

So, does anyone know how to avoid this SD card foible? I would hate to have this happen on the open road where I could not access a computer. I will surely put the 4GB in my car in case I'm somewhere without b/u.

If you are that worried about the card failing tape a backup card to the radio or carry one with you anytime you use the radio when your not home.

If you follow the suggestions to protect the card i.e. turn the radio off before removing the card its unlikely you will have a failure however it doesn't matter does it because you will have made a backup lol
Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.