436 16 GB Installed Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
SD Initially Avoided

If you are that worried about the card failing tape a backup card to the radio or carry one with you anytime you use the radio when your not home.

If you follow the suggestions to protect the card i.e. turn the radio off before removing the card its unlikely you will have a failure however it doesn't matter does it because you will have made a backup lol
Tim

This is what baffles me. After watching the You Tube video about the SD card holder, which was called "flimsy", I said I would never touch it.

So, this SD error occurred as a function of me taking the batteries out of the radio, nothing else. I did not want to engage that little metal door in the battery compartment. When I first attempted to close the door, I managed to get one of the tabs above the retaining mechanism. I carefully got it to come out, but it was initially stuck. I carefully put it back inside.

That is a great idea, taping the card to radio. Since it looks like I'm going to be forced to have a saddle shop make me a case since Scanner World is down and Scanner Master won't/can't give me an estimated time when their leather cases will be restocked, I might just have him make me a leather pocket for the SD card. I'm dead serious, LOL.

Last edited:

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
This Worked For Me!

Once the Micro SD Card is formatted, use the following directions to create a Back Up SD Card.

1. Insert the Micro SD Card in the card adapter.
2. Insert card adapter into the PC USB Jack. (Should appear as F Drive)
3. Open x36HP Sentinel Software Program.
4, Select <Display all Drives> Select <CLEAR USER DATA> from menu,
Data will clear on Micro SD Card.
5. Conformation, Micro SD Card is cleared.
6. Select <WRITE TO SCANNER> Program will download onto Micro SD Card (like scanner).
7. Conformation, download complete.
8. Remove Adapter and Micro SD Card.

mitbr

This is what baffles me. After watching the You Tube video about the SD card holder, which was called "flimsy", I said I would never touch it.

So, this SD error occurred as a function of me taking the batteries out of the radio, nothing else. I did not want to engage that little metal door in the battery compartment. When I first attempted to close the door, I managed to get one of the tabs above the retaining mechanism. I carefully got it to come out, but it was initially stuck. I carefully put it back inside.

That is a great idea, taping the card to radio. Since it looks like I'm going to be forced to have a saddle shop make me a case since Scanner World is down and Scanner Master won't/can't give me an estimated time when their leather cases will be restocked, I might just have him make me a leather pocket for the SD card. I'm dead serious, LOL.

I'm curious was the radio turned off prior to changing the batteries?
Did the radio die due to dead batteries prior to being able to turn it off?

SCPD

QRT
32 GB card

1.format the NEW sd card in a reader/writer long format,not that quick B.S.
2.copy contents from OLD card to harddrive,i put the folder on the DESKTOP
3 cut and paste those contents on the NEW card using a sd card reader/writer.
4.let sentinel find the NEW CARD after placing it in the scanner
5.update the database aka UPDATE HPDB.
6.load your favorite lists from sentinel.
7.unplug the scanner,after you made sure you updated the HPDB.
8.I use EJECT

Working fine here for weeks 32 GB,no corruptions,no errors,better than new! (aka the 4 gb corrupted after batteries went dead on the 4gb stock card)

ps notes a 536Hp favorites list works in a 436 and vice versa.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Maybe

I'm curious was the radio turned off prior to changing the batteries?
Did the radio die due to dead batteries prior to being able to turn it off?

Yesterday was a bad day for me. So, I could have been tired when I was messing with it. It is very possible that I popped off the battery door while the scanner was on. I just cannot remember; however, there have been no other problems today since I got the SD card going.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Your Method for 32GB?

1.format the NEW sd card in a reader/writer long format,not that quick B.S.
2.copy contents from OLD card to harddrive,i put the folder on the DESKTOP
3 cut and paste those contents on the NEW card using a sd card reader/writer.
4.let sentinel find the NEW CARD after placing it in the scanner
5.update the database aka UPDATE HPDB.
6.load your favorite lists from sentinel.
7.unplug the scanner,after you made sure you updated the HPDB.
8.I use EJECT

Working fine here for weeks 32 GB,no corruptions,no errors,better than new! (aka the 4 gb corrupted after batteries went dead on the 4gb stock card)

ps notes a 536Hp favorites list works in a 436 and vice versa.

I'm assuming this is your methodology your sharing with me, right? If so, thanks. Or, were you wanting me to redo my cards like this? My radio is working flawlessly now.

Thanks for the help.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for Feedback

Once the Micro SD Card is formatted, use the following directions to create a Back Up SD Card.

1. Insert the Micro SD Card in the card adapter.
2. Insert card adapter into the PC USB Jack. (Should appear as F Drive)
3. Open x36HP Sentinel Software Program.
4, Select <Display all Drives> Select <CLEAR USER DATA> from menu,
Data will clear on Micro SD Card.
5. Conformation, Micro SD Card is cleared.
6. Select <WRITE TO SCANNER> Program will download onto Micro SD Card (like scanner).
7. Conformation, download complete.
8. Remove Adapter and Micro SD Card.

I thought I already responded to this post, but my responses were not present when I looked. So, hope this doesn't double post.

Thanks for the tip. I used to avoid crashing my PSR 500 when they warned of plugging/unplugging the power source while the radio was off. I never did that, but heap errors happened when I first attempted to manually program the radio.

I will avoid taking the batteries out with it on, provided this was what I did.

Since they warn about using fresh batteries while engaging in firmware updates, avoiding disrupted power, I hope there is a battery dying warning light of something I could get. I did see a message warning me of batter power depletion today. I quickly turned it off.

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
Batteries and the 436

I thought I already responded to this post, but my responses were not present when I looked. So, hope this doesn't double post.

Thanks for the tip. I used to avoid crashing my PSR 500 when they warned of plugging/unplugging the power source while the radio was off. I never did that, but heap errors happened when I first attempted to manually program the radio.

I will avoid taking the batteries out with it on, provided this was what I did.

Since they warn about using fresh batteries while engaging in firmware updates, avoiding disrupted power, I hope there is a battery dying warning light of something I could get. I did see a message warning me of batter power depletion today. I quickly turned it off.

You can check the battery level at anytime by pushing the function control on top of radio for checking the volume, in the top right hand corner the battery level shows up, fully charged batteries usually around 3.90 volts. It disappears when you press the function switch again.

I use to charge the batts in the radio, but now I purchased a Maha Powerex batt charger. One hour charge or two hour slow charge option, gets those batteries up to 4.10 volts quickly.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
Some of us have made backup cards and taped them carefully in the battery case cover (inside facing the batteries). That should help you in an microSD crisis. These new 436HPs and 536HPs are a real PITA. But they are fantastic radios. The PITAs (you may experience several) will go away over time, then the real features of these radios become more and more apparent. Hang in there, and buy a few cases of beer.

Steve AA6IO

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
PITA, Agreed

Yes, you've been mighty helpful and encouraging regarding the PITA issues with this radio. Every radio has a similar list like the PSR 500 & removing the power source.

I will certainly position a spare SD card inside the battery cavity. I suppose putting such in my billfold might damage the SD card.

Most of all, I am very pleased with how this radio responds on Phase II linear simulcast distortion here in Waco. When I reviewed how this radio worked against the PSR 800 on simulcast distortion, not side-by-side, but a series of units, that is when I decided to buy it.

I can now hear the special channels used for surveillance again. There is occasional muddiness on several of these channels, but not too bad. I am wondering if the suggestion to change the frunking systems frequencies from NFM to FM might help even more. I don't know yet.

My main goal is to successfully program an entire favorites list without launching into a blue tirade. I might need to go buy a case of Corona or Fosters. Or, travel to Colorado, my preferred choice. Just joking.

Using the zip code function, I've already identified some unknown frequencies in the area.

Onward Through the Fog
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.