436 / 536 Nothing to scan - experts

Status
Not open for further replies.

swm239

Premium Subscriber
Hello, I continue to have trouble with nothing to scan popping up. Are there any experts that have dozens and dozens of favorites, perhaps we can chat direct to walk through this. I use the same program / profile between several 436 / 536's. Copied same program to different 436 / 536 and have dozens of favorites showing turned on but not scanning. I have gone over the check list several times and can't seem to find the issue. One thing I am finding is while looking at a favorite and go to review avoids, I find it is avioded, I hit E to stop avioding, and hit a second time and it says nothing avioded. Turned radio off overnight and back on this morning and it is now somehow avioded again, FL quick keys on, systems keys on, location is on, id search is on, service types are turned on etc. I am using ARC 536 pro to create these and have done so for years, most are under custom 1 which is also on. Anyone else dealing with this or want to compare notes? Thanks Scott

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
" using ARC 536 pro to create these "

Download Sentinel and read the radio into it.
Look through your profile from the radio - I'd bet you will find what is causing the issue.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Hello, I continue to have trouble with nothing to scan popping up. Are there any experts that have dozens and dozens of favorites, perhaps we can chat direct to walk through this. I use the same program / profile between several 436 / 536's. Copied same program to different 436 / 536 and have dozens of favorites showing turned on but not scanning. I have gone over the check list several times and can't seem to find the issue. One thing I am finding is while looking at a favorite and go to review avoids, I find it is avioded, I hit E to stop avioding, and hit a second time and it says nothing avioded. Turned radio off overnight and back on this morning and it is now somehow avioded again, FL quick keys on, systems keys on, location is on, id search is on, service types are turned on etc. I am using ARC 536 pro to create these and have done so for years, most are under custom 1 which is also on. Anyone else dealing with this or want to compare notes? Thanks Scott

Here’s the checklist;

Nothing to Scan" Checklist BCDx36HP

Scanner Checklist:
1. A location has to be set in 'Set Your Location' to monitor the Database.
2. You must enable at least one Favorites List or the Full Database in 'Set Scan Selection>Select Lists to Monitor'.
3. Favorites Lists or Systems with QK's assigned to them must be enabled with QK's or in 'Set Scan Selection>Manage Quick Key Status'.
4. Make sure 'ID Search' is On for the system if no IDs are programmed.
5. Service Types for the channels you want to monitor must be set to On.
6. Any FL with 'Use Location Control' set to On must have locations programmed for the Departments and/or Sites.

If you are programming everything in Sentinel first and sending it to the scanner:

Edit Profile>Scan Selection tab: Make sure 'Monitor' and 'Download' are On for FL's you want to scan.
Check or uncheck 'Monitor Full Database'.
Edit Profile>Service Types tab: Make sure the Service Types you want to monitor are checked.
Custom 1 is needed for miscellaneous channels.
Edit Profile>Location Settings tab: Make sure you have a location programmed for scanning the Full Database or FL's with 'Use Location Control' set to On.
Edit Profile>Quick Key Status tab: Make sure FLQK's are checked for FL's you want to monitor.
Edit Favorites List>System QK Status tab: Make sure SQK's are checked for systems you want to monitor.
Edit Favorites List>System>Options tab: Make sure 'ID Search' is On if no IDs are programmed.
Edit Favorites List>System>Dept/Site Quick Keys Status tab: Make sure Department/Site QK's are checked for departments/sites you want to monitor.
Edit Favorites List>System>Dept/Site>Location tab: Make sure Departments/Sites have locations programmed if 'Use Location Control' is set to On for the FL.

sfb88

I noticed that location is on was mentioned. If there are problems with location and range parameters, will the radio eliminate scanning by resetting avoids on startup?

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Pressing Avoid once makes it temporary. Meaning the radio will avoid until you shut if off. When you turn it back on the Avoid goes away and you hear what had been avoided. Pressing twice makes it permanent. After the radio is shut off and then back on what you had Avoided stays Avoided, in which case you need to manually unavoid if you want it to scan again.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Agree on reading with Sentinel and viewing the Profile for issues.

If that doesn't fix the problem, then I'd take one of the Favorites lists, eliminate all Quick Keys (Favorite, System, Department) and turn Location Control Off and ensure nothing is avoided (Favorites List, System, Department, Sites).

If you still have issues, then turn on full database and see what happens, particularly noting if you receive things appropriate to your area to confirm a correct location is set.

Ubbe

One thing I am finding is while looking at a favorite and go to review avoids, I find it is avioded, I hit E to stop avioding, and hit a second time and it says nothing avioded. Turned radio off overnight and back on this morning and it is now somehow avioded again,
The avoids gets written to the SD memory card when you turn off the scanner with the on/off button. If the scanner doesn't turn on with the last settings you programmed then it has to be some kind of write error to the SD card or you have that system programmed multiple times, either in the same or in a different FL and you only changed the avoid in one place.

/Ubbe

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
As /Ubbe mentions;
Did you set up the scanner to automatically turn off and on with the ignition instead of using the on/off/volume knob on the radio? If this is the case you have eliminated power to the radio BEFORE the radio had a chance to save your updated settings to the SD card. (The scanners Uniden makes that have SD cards boot up and down by first reading or writing to this card.) I had a device that sensed the voltage drop when the vehicle was turned off using the ignition switch. It in turn switched off power to my SDS200... before it had a chance to write to the SD card any changes I had made. I had to remember to turn the radio off and then back on using the on/off/volume knob on the radio before I turned off my ignition switch or any changes I made would not be saved.

Status
Not open for further replies.