436/536 Scanner Monitor App for both Mac and Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitbr

I can get it to connect on the rear serial port of the 536hp, keypad works but wont display anything except
scanning....
Tim

deskins

Hmmm works on usb port on 536hp but not the rear serial port?
any ideas

I haven't heard of any issues with the app not able to communicate on the rear serial port. I only have the BCD436HP and don't have a 536 where I can try to duplicate the problem to see what may be happening.

Before connecting to your 536 again, you can click the Debug button. This will output the communications between the app and scanner. You can then select the correct port and click the Connect button to see that traffic. Disconnect after a few seconds and copy/paste that debug information and send it to me in a private message. I can take a look to see if there is anything that stands out.

Thanks,
Jeff

mitbr

I haven't heard of any issues with the app not able to communicate on the rear serial port. I only have the BCD436HP and don't have a 536 where I can try to duplicate the problem to see what may be happening.

Before connecting to your 536 again, you can click the Debug button. This will output the communications between the app and scanner. You can then select the correct port and click the Connect button to see that traffic. Disconnect after a few seconds and copy/paste that debug information and send it to me in a private message. I can take a look to see if there is anything that stands out.

Thanks,
Jeff

I sent you a pm with the data, its funny because it works fine with the scanner screen program which makes me think the problem is in your app.
Tim

deskins

The debug info that mitbr sent was very helpful. I was able to use that data and upload a solution that appears to be working for him now.

The updated version of the Scanner Monitor app is now available and should automatically update the next time the Chrome browser is started. To manually get the latest version (0.8.11), in your Chrome browser go to chrome://extensions/ and click the "Update extensions now" button.

For those wanting the technical info...

For some reason it looks like the rear serial port of the 536HP didn't like the way the app was asking for the model name. It appeared to only work when sending the "MDL\r" command and not "RMT\tMODEL\t630\r". The serial connection on the 436HP works with either command.

plaws

Premium Subscriber
Works right out of the box Nice!!!!

Still does, people of the past. At first I thought, "Aw man, it only supports the BlueTooth on the '536" ... then remembered my '436 wasn't plugged in. Works fine on my 2012 MBP running whatever is the current rev of Ford Mavericks.

Thanks!

And I don't think there is Bluetooth on the '536 - think it's just WiFi ...

deskins

Hey Jeff any updates coming in the near future for this great app...
Tim

I have several updates planned for this app in the near future. They are in the experimental stage at this point but look promising. I will update the forum when these are available.

Jeff

deskins

There has been some interest in adding more features to the Scanner Monitor app.

In order for me to focus on the most wanted, I have created a website for the app at www.scannermonitor.com along with a form. The form will help rank some of the features that may be possible and will allow you to add others that I may not have thought about.

Hopefully this will provide a good starting point to expand the capabilities of the application and the BCDx36HP scanners.

Thanks for your feedback.
Jeff

n7vdr

I have the 536 will this app work with the front usb port? i plug the cable in select the no . button and open the app and there is nothing in the drop down tray to select and it wont connect. maybe I am missing something?

Boatanchor

Uniden & Whistler, take note..

I feel compelled to congratulate the OP 'deskins' on this thread.

The app is obviously a useful one for x36HP owners, but what I really like and what I dearly wish Uniden and Whistler would take on board, is 'deskins' implementation of a simple feature development priority system on his website that allows users, and even potential users, to vote on what features they would like to see in future product updates..

I'm referring to hardware and software here though.

Too many times, manufacturers produce products incorporating design features that they alone (and it may only be one or two staff members in the organization) think people want and then are surprised when there is a consumer backlash when the product is eventually released and customers are disappointed and sales figures disappoint.

Wouldn't it be cheaper and more effective to do a little market research before the drawing board stage, prior to investing millions of dollars in developing new hardware?

Well done OP :)

deskins

Thanks for the posts.

Having users provide prioritized feedback allows me to focus development on what's needed most. Saves my time and generally gets the features out to the user in a timely manner.

Speaking of feedback…

There was a clear pattern of what features users are requesting. Controlling a BCDx36HP from a mobile device has clearly topped the list.

With that said, I was successfully able to accomplish this in a test environment. I had my BCD436HP connected to an upcoming version of the Scanner Monitor app and could see the scanner data and control it from a browser on an iphone. (photo attached shows Chrome app running in the background while phone simultaneously displays the data) No app to download for the phone. So it should work on most devices with a modern browser. Sending audio to the phone will be next on the roadmap once this is completed - one step at a time. So for now, you still have to be within earshot of the radio.

Initial public testing will be available by invite before a general release. I'll post that info when the site is ready.

Hopefully I haven’t said too much - as I don’t want to say something will be available when it doesn’t happen. We have seen how that goes. But wanted to keep everyone updated to what was going on since the last update on the Chrome app. I was pretty excited to control the scanner from my phone or iPad while sitting back on the couch across the room.

Jeff

Attachments

• scanner-monitor-iphone.jpg
    scanner-monitor-iphone.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 815
Last edited:

joeuser

The Wretched
Sign me up!!! I have Windows Phone / Nokia Lumia 928 - Android / Motorola Xoom - iPhone 5S, iPhone 4... something... Windows Phone 7 on an HTC Trophy... etc etc

Status
Not open for further replies.