436, an expensive paperweight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ButchGone

I got a 436 on a trade, and I'm questioning the wisdom of doing that. The original owner had a Favorites List programmed with our local P25 system. He, nor I, could figure out how to make the 436 start scanning when powering up - always got the "nothing to scan" message. I double checked all settings, no help. Did get it to scan after a series of key presses - but that got old every time I wanted to listen.
So...I connected the 436 to Sentinel to try and start from scratch and now my 436 appears to be "bricked." It will not do anything, other that faintly display "SD card file error, use Sentinel "Clear User Date" operation to initialize SD card."
When I clicked on "Clear User Data" in Sentinel I get a message "Database is corrupt, operation is cancelled, there is not enough space on the disk." That is the brand new disk that came with the 436.
Does this radio need to be returned to be swapped?
Do I have to buy another micro SD card?
Is there any way to "un-brick" the 436...it's just a $500 non-functioing paperweight right now.
Am I doing something wrong with Sentinel? To me, Sentinel and the owners manual is not user friendly at all, and I've had years of experience with Uniden scanners.
BG..

wise871

Database Admin
Format the card, clear the data and then write back to the scanner. Make sure you format it correctly. Uniden manual recommends a format utility.

JamesO

There have been some questionable SD cards and some cards get corrupt.

Search around as there are a few solutions for the SD card issue.

The main reason/trap folks, including myself, fall into is failure to properly configure the Service Type and/or turn on all Service Types unit you figure the scanner out.

http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-scanners/284451-upman-regarding-microsd.html

http://forums.radioreference.com/un...tinel-not-seeing-436-microsd-card-reader.html

http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-scanners/283404-x36-nothing-scan-checklist.html

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
I got a 436 on a trade, and I'm questioning the wisdom of doing that. The original owner had a Favorites List programmed with our local P25 system. He, nor I, could figure out how to make the 436 start scanning when powering up - always got the "nothing to scan" message. I double checked all settings, no help. Did get it to scan after a series of key presses - but that got old every time I wanted to listen.
So...I connected the 436 to Sentinel to try and start from scratch and now my 436 appears to be "bricked." It will not do anything, other that faintly display "SD card file error, use Sentinel "Clear User Date" operation to initialize SD card."
When I clicked on "Clear User Data" in Sentinel I get a message "Database is corrupt, operation is cancelled, there is not enough space on the disk." That is the brand new disk that came with the 436.
Does this radio need to be returned to be swapped?
Do I have to buy another micro SD card?
Is there any way to "un-brick" the 436...it's just a $500 non-functioing paperweight right now.
Am I doing something wrong with Sentinel? To me, Sentinel and the owners manual is not user friendly at all, and I've had years of experience with Uniden scanners.
BG..

1) get a new SD card in the scanner or try to format the old one

2) perform "clear user data"... you may need to check the box that says "display all drives"

3) read this:

http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-scanners/283404-x36-nothing-scan-checklist.html#post2121181

4) write to scanner

NYPDAUX

I would start with buying a new SD card only about five six dollars for 4 gig card and when you plug it into the computer then you could press that clear data and that will format the card for you and at that point you can start adding by adding the state and county you live in and have a right to scanner then unplug scanner you'll get that message nothing to stand zip code enter zip code and let it build find out what you can hear after that you could learn to make a favorites list I hope that will help you

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

NUGEN

Premium Subscriber
Go to Google and download SD formatter, anyone will usually work. Then when that's done go back to the Sentinel software and try to clear the user data again and go thru that process. I've had a few I've programmed with bad Cards right out of the box.

You can also enable favorites only in the scan list instead of running the whole local database

NUGEN

Premium Subscriber
I would start with buying a new SD card only about five six dollars for 4 gig card and when you plug it into the computer

You don't need a new card, just format it by using a separate SD formatter and using a SD to micro SD adapter, NOT the mini usb to usb cable. I've had 3-4 bad Cards and have got them to work flawlessly using this method

NYPDAUX

Let's just hope he has the micro SD card and adopter and that he has an SD card reader on his computer then your idea would be wonderful

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

NUGEN

Premium Subscriber
The other thing you could try if you don't have a SD to micro SD adapter is put it inside a cellphone, hit format in the storage menu and it will usually allow you to format it that way. Never tried it that way but in theory it should work

NUGEN

Premium Subscriber
Ya but it might format it so that the software might recognize it. Regardless once it does he can clear user data. Also make sure to hit "show all drives"

ButchGone

Thank you for everyone's input. I tried to reformat the micro disk on another laptop, but kept getting a failure message and wasn't able to reformat. So my next move is to Best Buy for a new micro disk and try again. Based on some threads I'm reading about other people with disk issues, I hope this is an issue of Uniden getting a batch of bum disks, rather that a bigger issue with the scanner itself.
Has UpMan weighed in on this at all?
Any recommendations on a new micro disk? I'll follow up with results.
BG..

br0adband

I don't mean to be dismissive of what Uniden has accomplished by packing so many capabilities into a device like the BCD-436HP, but as someone that's dealt with Flash-RAM memory devices for over 20 years now I have to question whether or not the usefulness of SD/miniSD/microSD for storage in such devices is actually better than just putting a higher capacity storage in the device natively. I mean, we've had scanners for decades now with "memory" that holds the content we program into them and I've yet to ever have such a device crap out and die or come up with some kind of memory corruption problems.

I know 7 people that have purchased the BCD-436HP since release (5 pre-ordered and 2 waited till it was actually "out" to get them) and I swear that's the problem they keep having with the scanner: the SD card storage keeps failing on them and they're getting really fed up with it, probably to the point of returning them soon enough.

I get the idea of it, and I like the idea of it, but I'd rather have a scanner that works 24/7 without fail as so many of the dozens of scanners I've owned over the decades have done instead of one with most every bell and whistle they can cram into said device that can't even start up on occasion, sometimes with a frequency (no pun intended) that makes you want to throw it into a wall.

I'm not saying the BCD-436HP is a bad product, mind you, I'm just questioning the decision to add the SD storage to it. I suppose it's the cheapest method to add "storage" to the device, but personally I'd rather own something with as much "conventional" storage as possible and I'll take care of the rest using a computer as required. For $500+, I'd expect, practically demand such a scanner come with 32GB of onboard storage by default, hopefully more. If smartphones can cram it in and be well under $500, so can a scanner.

Just my $.02...

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Micro SD cards

The PSR 800 and Pro 18 use the same type of card and have had similar issues. Any problems I have had came down to correct formatting. Fortunately, the software that comes with those scanners has a utility that works. Try using SD Formatter to restore the card to the original capacity. I have had good luck on cards and USB drives restoring them when they get corrupted.

ButchGone

BrOadband, I could not agree more. I just hope Uniden does the right thing for its customers. I have not heard Upman or anyone from Uniden chime in on this issue, so I hope we're not stuck with defective devices and get told "it is what it is."
The first owner of this 436 had it about a week, then offered a trade for my 396xt and a little cash. I'm having second thoughts about the trade. I have his original receipt, so my next concern is that Uniden will honor the warranty in the event they have a solution or will trade for properly functioning 436, or if I can send the unit back to Scanner Master myself.
But today, I will get a new micro SD card and try it all over again. I'll post how that works out.
BG..

br0adband

It's not like you can't sell that scanner right now basically for the retail price minus maybe 5% or whatever, someone would grab it. ;)

lep

The SD card storage system in the 436 scanner appears to be the same as the HP-1 scanner. I have my HP-1 since they hit-the-market in 2010, 4 years ago. The SD card worked then, it works now, and mine works fine in my 436. I have 2 HP-1s I like them so much, I did not order the 436, I bought it in person in Orlando, FL 2 weeks ago, it works out of the box and so does the SD card. I notice the same user names among "Some" [but not all] who are critics of most everything Uniden does. I'm not one of those but I have no association with any maker and I own scanners made by several different manufacturers. I know it is said to be "Be a Sign of Weakness" but, Reading the Instructions before taking to the Forum Key Board works wonders in solving problems.
Have a nice day with your new scanner!

woody_46

Butch you'll have a good scanner with a steep learning curve once you get a new card formatted and database loaded. It's taking most of us a bit of time to get used to the Sentinel software. I had the same problems learning software and settings when I bought my Optocom years ago and I still use and like that radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.