436 Backlight Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

redburgundy

Premium Subscriber
I can't figure out how to control the backlight the way I want it, when receiving a trunked digital system.
I want the backlight to be on whenever there is a transmission being rendered.
At Display Options>Set Backlight>Set Mode there are three options:
Squelch, Keypress, Timeout
Squelch seems the most relevant, except that squelch is really an analog concept relating to the ambient noise and I'm interested in digital transmissions.
Anyway, the options are Off, 5 seconds, 10 seconds, and Open Squelch.
I've tried them all and none of them produce the result I want.
Sometimes the backlight is on when receiving a transmission, sometimes the backlight is off.
Is this a bug? Or is there some other way to control the backlight behavior?

whsbuss

I can't figure out how to control the backlight the way I want it, when receiving a trunked digital system.
I want the backlight to be on whenever there is a transmission being rendered.
At Display Options>Set Backlight>Set Mode there are three options:
Squelch, Keypress, Timeout
Squelch seems the most relevant, except that squelch is really an analog concept relating to the ambient noise and I'm interested in digital transmissions.
Anyway, the options are Off, 5 seconds, 10 seconds, and Open Squelch.
I've tried them all and none of them produce the result I want.
Sometimes the backlight is on when receiving a transmission, sometimes the backlight is off.
Is this a bug? Or is there some other way to control the backlight behavior?

This was mentioned in the 436 post release thread. Looks like Uniden will have to address it in a firmware update.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
I have not had any issues with it. But it took me a while to understand it. I set my back light to squelch and then 10 seconds but it stayed on too long. I then set it to 5 seconds. Once the squelch is broken, the light comes on for 5 seconds then turns off, even if the transmission is still taking place. Then, of course, it will scan again until another transmission and come back on again.

The problem I had with the 10 second option is that the light almost never went off. 10 seconds was to long for it to countdown as there were a lot of channels active. So, before the back light could countdown ten seconds another transmission took place.

If you set it to "open squelch " then it should stay on the entire time a transmission in taking place.

I suspect you already know this, but I thought perhaps it might help.

Greg

whsbuss

I have not had any issues with it. But it took me a while to understand it. I set my back light to squelch and then 10 seconds but it stayed on too long. I then set it to 5 seconds. Once the squelch is broken, the light comes on for 5 seconds then turns off, even if the transmission is still taking place. Then, of course, it will scan again until another transmission and come back on again.

The problem I had with the 10 second option is that the light almost never went off. 10 seconds was to long for it to countdown as there were a lot of channels active. So, before the back light could countdown ten seconds another transmission took place.

If you set it to "open squelch " then it should stay on the entire time a transmission in taking place.

I suspect you already know this, but I thought perhaps it might help.

Greg

Works this way for analog but not P25 digital.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
Works this way for analog but not P25 digital.

I was NOT aware of this. It was lighting up for the Illinois State Police for me and they are, I believe, on the P25 system. However, I will certainly have to look again. Its in bed now charging as it sleeps.

Anywhere near my real home...York PA.?

Greg

Well, after reading all the responses on this topic I must be wrong. No biggy...I was wrong once before.

Last edited:

whsbuss

I was NOT aware of this. It was lighting up for the Illinois State Police for me and they are, I believe, on the P25 system. However, I will certainly have to look again. Its in bed now charging as it sleeps.

Anywhere near my real home...York PA.?

Greg

Well, after reading all the responses on this topic I must be wrong. No biggy...I was wrong once before.

Its not the fact that its just P25 but digital transmissions.

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
How do you make the 436 remember your settings?

It seems every time I turn the scanner off, it "forgets" my backlight and contrast settings and I have to reset them each time I start the scanner again.

Thanks.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
How do you make the 436 remember your settings?

It seems every time I turn the scanner off, it "forgets" my backlight and contrast settings and I have to reset them each time I start the scanner again.

Thanks.

Someone mentioned they had this problem and it was fixed by making those changes in Sentinel and loading them into the radio. Apparently, using the radio to make certain changes is like a "temporary avoid" it gets reset on turning the scanner off.

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
I can't see where those setting are in the Sentinel software.

Have you seen it somewhere in the menu?

Thanks......

greggk

Premium Subscriber
In the software...first bring up one of your favorites list or the Full data. After that Press EDIT then EDIT PROFILE. This brings up the profile screen. Then go to the tab that says DISPLAY OPTIONS. Once you open the display options screen, the settings you are looking for will be on the right side.

Greg

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
Greg, Since you know a lot more than I do about the Sentinel and 436/536.

Does the scanner have to be in "USB" mode to send/receive info ?

Is there a way to toggle back and forth between USB and Serial without turning the scanner off and on ?

greggk

Premium Subscriber
My friend, if you would read my mental breakdown from yesterday, you would know I am NO expert on the 436. Sorry.

I wish I could answer that for you, but I don't know. There are many other experts here who will help. To make up an answer that sounds "right" would be really wrong.

But like me and many others here, you learn a little bit more about this scanner everyday! Good Luck!

Greg

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
Greg,

Thanks anyway... I appreciate the help you did give me... it was spot on.

Regards.

greggk

Premium Subscriber
I don't often have the knowledge to help out, so when I can help someone it feels really good. Have a great day.

Greg

spooney

Greg, Since you know a lot more than I do about the Sentinel and 436/536.

Does the scanner have to be in "USB" mode to send/receive info ?

Is there a way to toggle back and forth between USB and Serial without turning the scanner off and on ?

There are only two ways to change from USB Mass Storage to Serial Port connection or vice versa. Turn the scanner off and back on or while it's on unplug the USB cable and plug it back in.

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
spooney,

Thanks for the info... I hope I can learn how this thing works more quickly than I have so far... my head is beginning to hurt from banging it against the wall. :'0

greggk

Premium Subscriber
You're lucky. I have no more head; just one big bruise on top of my shoulders.

Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.