436 Backlight

Status
Not open for further replies.

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
I just got the 436. I don't even have any batteries with me, but I plugged in the USB and got the unit powered up.

First problem: How do I get the Backlight to say on infinitely ?

I have looked over the manual and must say, it's a mess. I see a section about the backlight but I can't make any sense of it. I'm confused about exactly which buttons to push and when to get the backlight to remain on.

Second: I think I read something on how to set up a "Favorites" list to listen to only the systems you want.... but I can't locate it in a search. Can someone point me to that particular thread ?

So far, I am picking some simulcast transmission that the 106 isn't. But I am very unimpressed with the angle of view of the display. I have to be looking directly at it from the front to read the display. But I usually have my scanner on a table or desk next to me and am looking down slightly.
With that angle, I cannot read the display at all.

Thanks All.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
MENU --> Display Options -- Set Backlight

See the videos at Uniden Upman - YouTube

There is one specifically on using Sentinel to make your own favorites list.

Changing the contrast (same menu path as above) might improve off-angle viewability.

spooney

For the backlight: Press menu button,scroll to Display Options and press E, scroll to Set Backlight and press E,scroll to Set Mode and press E, scroll to Timeout and press E, scroll to Infinite and press E.

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
Thank You Paul. (and Spooney)

Yes, adjusting the contract all the way to 15 did, in fact, help with the viewing angle. I can now read it with it sitting on my desk about 10 inches lower than my eyes.

I'll check out the Sentinel thread for that info.

Regards.....

redburgundy

Premium Subscriber
There is already a thread on the 436 backlight issue:
http://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-scanners/283284-436-backlight-control.html
So far as I can tell, you can get the backlight to stay on only when on USB power with no batteries in the unit, not on battery power.
But then it stays on when scanning as well as when rendering voice transmissions.
On batteries, there seems to be no rhyme or reason as to when the backlight comes on or stays on.
Sometimes a key press will turn on the backlight.
Sometimes it will stay on momentarily, sometimes for a longer duration.
Sometimes it comes on when a voice communication starts, and then shuts off while the communication continues.
Very mysterious.

Last edited:

pratzert

Premium Subscriber
redburgundy,

Thanks for the link to the other backlight thread.

It seems the backlighting is not consistent or how it works.

I can sort of understand them not leaving the backlight on all the time on battery power.. but I would like to have the option to leave it on, even if using batteries.

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber
I just got the 436. I don't even have any batteries with me, but I plugged in the USB and got the unit powered up.

First problem: How do I get the Backlight to say on infinitely ?

I have looked over the manual and must say, it's a mess. I see a section about the backlight but I can't make any sense of it. I'm confused about exactly which buttons to push and when to get the backlight to remain on.

Second: I think I read something on how to set up a "Favorites" list to listen to only the systems you want.... but I can't locate it in a search. Can someone point me to that particular thread ?

So far, I am picking some simulcast transmission that the 106 isn't. But I am very unimpressed with the angle of view of the display. I have to be looking directly at it from the front to read the display. But I usually have my scanner on a table or desk next to me and am looking down slightly.
With that angle, I cannot read the display at all.

Thanks All.

Check out my video on the BCD436HP Backlight and Functions:

Uniden BCD436HP Backlight Menu Settings - YouTube

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber
Nice explanation of the way it should work.
Maybe the squelch settings do work that way for analog transmissions.
But they don't for digital transmissions.

Thanks for letting me know, I never noticed it wasn't functioning correctly on digital transmissions.

wnjl

To try and explain it the best I can now that I've observed it longer - the problem with the Backlight setting for Squelch "ON" with digital transmissions is that it will work initially, but once the first user heard ceases transmitting, the light immediately turns off. But what happens on most trunking systems (at least around here) is that the system itself does not totally drop for another couple of seconds, so if another unit or a dispatcher responds within that time frame, the light never turns back on and the display stays dark for however long the transmissions continue, until the system totally drops. Does not seem like this should be all that complicated to fix.

redburgundy

Premium Subscriber
To try and explain it the best I can now that I've observed it longer - the problem with the Backlight setting for Squelch "ON" with digital transmissions is that it will work initially, but once the first user heard ceases transmitting, the light immediately turns off. But what happens on most trunking systems (at least around here) is that the system itself does not totally drop for another couple of seconds, so if another unit or a dispatcher responds within that time frame, the light never turns back on and the display stays dark for however long the transmissions continue, until the system totally drops. Does not seem like this should be all that complicated to fix.
Possibly that explains the behavior with batteries in.
But when I take the batteries out and run the unit on USB power, the backlight stays on, even when scanning.

JamesO

Adjustable backlight OFF delay added to firmware??

This would actually be a nice feature because at times you want to glance back at the scanner to see if for some reason there is no audio and the scanner is still locked on a channel or if the scanner has resumed scanning.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
Possibly that explains the behavior with batteries in.
But when I take the batteries out and run the unit on USB power, the backlight stays on, even when scanning.

Are you using the "Squelch On" method too?

On my 436 the backlight stays on if it is scanning or receiving a signal; with USB power and batteries or just batteries. However, I chose "infinite" for the duration so the squelch mode is not involved.

redburgundy

Premium Subscriber
Are you using the "Squelch On" method too?

On my 436 the backlight stays on if it is scanning or receiving a signal; with USB power and batteries or just batteries. However, I chose "infinite" for the duration so the squelch mode is not involved.

Mine does not behave that way, not at all.

I have set Squelch Open.
Timeout is 60 seconds, not Infinite.

Why do you think that Timeout Infinite means that Squelch Mode is not involved?
According to the video posted by signal500, Timeout is related only to Key presses, not to Squelch (transmissions).

B

bearcat7039

Read the Fmanual

All you have to do is read the manual. People complained for years that no written manual came with the new scanners then when does they don't have the intelligence to read the thing. Takes 3 seconds to turn the back light on indefinite.

redburgundy

Premium Subscriber
All you have to do is read the manual. People complained for years that no written manual came with the new scanners then when does they don't have the intelligence to read the thing. Takes 3 seconds to turn the back light on indefinite.
Yes, now that the firmware update has mostly fixed the backlight behavior, it does behave the way the manual describes.

Status
Not open for further replies.