436 HP Annoyed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
When I ordered the GPS for my 436HP, I was prompted to order another cable. I ordered it & now I have two of the same, one that came with the unit and one I bought. However, there is no cord for connecting the round S-cable looking end on the actual GPS. What does this plug into? Where do I buy this device? The sales details were confusing.

JamesO

When I ordered the GPS for my 436HP, I was prompted to order another cable. I ordered it & now I have two of the same, one that came with the unit and one I bought. However, there is no cord for connecting the round S-cable looking end on the actual GPS. What does this plug into? Where do I buy this device? The sales details were confusing.

Where did you order the GPS unit and is it really a Uniden BC-GPSK?

Sounds like either something was left out of the box or you did not order the proper thing?

See the picture in this link - Uniden GPS Receiver for BCD996XT/BCT15X/BCD396XT/BC346XT and HomePatrol | ScannerMaster.com

The DB-9 cable has a "Y" with a S-video type of round connector on one side and the cigarette lighter power plug on the other.

I think many of the newer BC-GPSK units may come with the DB-9 to scanner cable?

But the DB-9 to scanner cable is required to connect to any of the scanners that support GPS.

Post a picture of what you received, maybe there is a new batch of units that are missing something or have the wrong parts/cables?

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Interesting Outcome

Where did you order the GPS unit and is it really a Uniden BC-GPSK?

Sounds like either something was left out of the box or you did not order the proper thing?

See the picture in this link - Uniden GPS Receiver for BCD996XT/BCT15X/BCD396XT/BC346XT and HomePatrol | ScannerMaster.com

The DB-9 cable has a "Y" with a S-video type of round connector on one side and the cigarette lighter power plug on the other.

I think many of the newer BC-GPSK units may come with the DB-9 to scanner cable?

But the DB-9 to scanner cable is required to connect to any of the scanners that support GPS.

Post a picture of what you received, maybe there is a new batch of units that are missing something or have the wrong parts/cables?

Well, I don't need to send a picture. To me, Scanner Master is a bit misleading. When you look at the page showing the GPS, it says below, "select your cable." http://www.scannermaster.com/Uniden_GPS_Accessory_Cable_p/10-731702.htm

Although I ordered this from Amazon, I ordered the same cord shown in the link above. I will be returning this to Amazon since I don't need it. I figured out the wires. Yes, it has a Y adapter with one end connecting to a round S-cable type plug leading to the so-called puck. The other part of the Y is going to power. On the other side of the serial connection, at the other end of the Y wire, it has another plug which leads to the end that goes in the GPS slot on the side of the 436. Since I posted this, I figured things out. But, I did not need to order this additional cable. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

JamesO

I believe that earlier models may not have included the cable, but Uniden may have changed the package contents later on but did. At revise the part number????

The GPS cable is a bit fragile as is the GPS connection in the radio so not always a bad idea to have an extra.

I lucked out and was able to buy a German 18x serial unit for like $35.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I just ordered one from Amazon, and it came with the cable needed to connect to the 436HP. It seems to work just fine.

JamesO

The Scanner Master info is way out of date. It should state that it required for the Garmin GPS 18X serial GPS unit and it will work with the following radio:

BCD396T/XT, BC346XT
HP-1
BCD436HP, BCD536HP

I think originally the Uniden BC-GPSK did not come with this cable because for the BC996X/XT and BC15X it was not required. The handheld scanners did need the cable then when the HP-1 came along it required this cable as did the newest BCDx96HP units.

So not sure whom you should be mad at, Uniden, Scanner Master and well as many others. Ultimately the issue goes back to Uniden and them not making is clear what the product comes with and what accessories are required.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the help. I believe I'll just plug it in and be happy that I have such a wonderful radio and feature. Tomorrow will be my maiden voyage with the GPS. Once I add a Passport Max & Netgear hot spot, I should be very easy to find, 6 potential GPS sources.

Last edited:

phask

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the help. I believe I'll just plug it in and be happy that I have such a wonderful radio and feature. Tomorrow will be my maiden voyage with the GPS. Once I add a Passport Max & Netgear hot spot, I should be very easy to find, 6 potential GPS sources.

:)

I run a Passport Max, a Garmin GPS Puck for the HP1, a Garmin 7" GPS, and the GPS in the cell phones.

I still get lost

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Laughing Here

:)

I run a Passport Max, a Garmin GPS Puck for the HP1, a Garmin 7" GPS, and the GPS in the cell phones.

I still get lost

If Homeland Insecurity and the NSA want to track me, it is pretty easy, LOL. By the way, I'm thinking of getting a Passport Max, you like it?

phask

Premium Subscriber
Off topic - but I'm happy with it - in retrospect a 8500 or whatever the one below it would be as good or better. - Depends on if you plan on running the phone app (I do not).
If Homeland Insecurity and the NSA want to track me, it is pretty easy, LOL. By the way, I'm thinking of getting a Passport Max, you like it?

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
GPS-Loaded Driving

Off topic - but I'm happy with it - in retrospect a 8500 or whatever the one below it would be as good or better. - Depends on if you plan on running the phone app (I do not).

Yes, I would imagine the GPS function of the Max might add yet another marker on my back. Initially, I thought the GPS on the 436, cell phone, & Garmin Nuvi might cause some type of interference, but things have worked great.

Now that I have the GPS-equipped 436, my travel will be much easier. No longer will I spend days programming my other-branded digital. Even if I take a bus trip where power outlets are sometimes scarce, nonexistent, or broken, I still have the option of buying a zip code book and programming that way. I am really loving this radio the more I learn of its possibilities. Yes, Uniden did their homework and listened to their customers.

phask

Premium Subscriber
If you have a smart phone their are apps that show zipcode for current location. Used that until I set up GPS.
Yes, I would imagine the GPS function of the Max might add yet another marker on my back. Initially, I thought the GPS on the 436, cell phone, & Garmin Nuvi might cause some type of interference, but things have worked great.

Now that I have the GPS-equipped 436, my travel will be much easier. No longer will I spend days programming my other-branded digital. Even if I take a bus trip where power outlets are sometimes scarce, nonexistent, or broken, I still have the option of buying a zip code book and programming that way. I am really loving this radio the more I learn of its possibilities. Yes, Uniden did their homework and listened to their customers.

Status
Not open for further replies.