436 lack of decoding

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigk_54

Ok I hope this hasn't been covered..... I read a few pages and find nothing

I am new to the 436 and I ripped open box, turned it on, set zip code and away we go. Sat 436 next to my 996 to verify I was getting equal traffic. For the most part they were comparable all but P25. So I hook up my valor magnet mount from 996 to the 436, still nothing! So I went into services and verified anything that looked like law enforcement was on, still nothing......... So I take into my truck which when my 996 hooked to the antenna picks up traffic a great distance, STILL NOTHING! Am I missing something? Anyone point me in the right direction? Thank you ahead of time

mciupa

Database Admin
Deleted. Member has already tried my suggestion.

PhillyPhoto

For the most part they were comparable all but P25.

I'm a little confused by your wording. Are you not receiving anything at all on the 436, or are you not receiving P25 traffic? I would enable every service type just to rule that out, then try adjusting the P25 levels available for the scanner and system you're monitoring to see if that makes a difference.

dale50

yes, i can pic up wx

it is just my local fire dept that is not coming in.
both police and fire are p24, police come in fine.

ive tried to change my p25 threshold level from 8 to 5 (5 is what is shown on my bct396t)
shows 5 on the menu p25 on the menu, but when i bring it up on the main scanning screen it still shows 8

note all the figures :err:--- 8 auto, on the 436, and 5 auto on 396t

t 1.43 1.65 1.86 is on the 436
t 1.44 1.60 1.76 is on the 396t

bigk_54

I'm a little confused by your wording. Are you not receiving anything at all on the 436, or are you not receiving P25 traffic? I would enable every service type just to rule that out, then try adjusting the P25 levels available for the scanner and system you're monitoring to see if that makes a difference.

I pick up NO P25 traffic on my 436. I've taken on car rides in about a 50 mile radius and still get nothing as well

PhillyPhoto

I pick up NO P25 traffic on my 436. I've taken on car rides in about a 50 mile radius and still get nothing as well

That's good and bad. We know what the problem is, but you're stuck listening to a whole lot of nothing.

Are you using the preprogrammed system from the full DB, or did you create this system in Sentinel or another program? Is it trunked or conventional? Can you link to the system, so we can look at it? If it's trunked and you programmed it, maybe the band plan is off? I believe you can control those on both an individual and default scanner-wide basis.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Ok I hope this hasn't been covered..... I read a few pages and find nothing

I am new to the 436 and I ripped open box, turned it on, set zip code and away we go. Sat 436 next to my 996 to verify I was getting equal traffic. For the most part they were comparable all but P25. So I hook up my valor magnet mount from 996 to the 436, still nothing! So I went into services and verified anything that looked like law enforcement was on, still nothing......... So I take into my truck which when my 996 hooked to the antenna picks up traffic a great distance, STILL NOTHING! Am I missing something? Anyone point me in the right direction? Thank you ahead of time

Did you update the firmware?

kb8rvp

Did you try installing the sentinel software on your computer from the following link BCD436HP < UnidenMan4 < TWiki and then doing a master database update and then using the zip code programming so you're pulling in the newest information for your area? You never know how old the information is in the scanner when you received it.

Good Luck
Mike

bigk_54

You guys are awesome!!!!!! Thanks for all the help!
To answer many of the questions, no I didn't update firmware (was too anxious to play with my new toy I guess) and now since I have p25 is coming in loud and clear like my 996! I was currently listening to the installed database (prior to update) and was just getting standard 150's frequencies. Now using sentenial I have set up some favorite channels using that. Guess one question I have (not reading further as of now) what do the favorite lists do?
Thanks again for the help frustration as been releived!

EDIT: I found the benefit of the favorite lists: For anyone reading this the bonus of the favorite lists is to be able to shut off all scanning and turn on one or multiple lists and "shut off" the full database. Comes in very handy in the 5 minutes I've figured this out. The more I discover about this scanner the more I want to dispose of all previous scanners!

Last edited:

bigk_54

V1.03.00 Is there a different one?
I gotta say RR forums are awesome! The community here is so helpful even for people like me that are too anxious to follow the steps and/or read the manual and ask "not so smart" questions :-D. There is such a vast amount of knowledge is a lot of members it's great!

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
You guys are awesome!!!!!! Thanks for all the help!
To answer many of the questions, no I didn't update firmware (was too anxious to play with my new toy I guess) and now since I have p25 is coming in loud and clear like my 996! I was currently listening to the installed database (prior to update) and was just getting standard 150's frequencies. Now using sentenial I have set up some favorite channels using that. Guess one question I have (not reading further as of now) what do the favorite lists do?
Thanks again for the help frustration as been releived!

EDIT: I found the benefit of the favorite lists: For anyone reading this the bonus of the favorite lists is to be able to shut off all scanning and turn on one or multiple lists and "shut off" the full database. Comes in very handy in the 5 minutes I've figured this out. The more I discover about this scanner the more I want to dispose of all previous scanners!

Good deal!

dale50

glad you figured it out, because i cannot
still have not figured out how to use the favorites list

did u find out if firmware ver 1.03 is the current one?

bigk_54

glad you figured it out, because i cannot
still have not figured out how to use the favorites list

did u find out if firmware ver 1.03 is the current one?

I'm assuming the 1.03 is latest.....

Ok here is my dummy diary of the favorite deal, (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but this has worked for me). I used the sentential software (the butel software isn't needed with this scanner IMO) and set up favorite lists for different areas near me. Now if something is going on and I just want to listen to certain channels I go menu>set scan selection>select lists to monitors>then turn on/off the lists you want to listen to. It's come in real handy since I figured it out! My lists are fairly small so it scans very fast on them hence hearing only what I want

miles267

Premium Subscriber
Hi - got a 436 and was intrigued by this thread. I've updated my firmware and the scanner's database. No matter what I do, I'm unable to pick up any Bentonville, AR frequencies.

Benton County, Arkansas (AR) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Where it shows

Frequency License Type Tone Alpha Tag Description Mode Tag
45.36000 WNUY388 RM CSQ Bntvl FD Fire FM Fire Dispatch
...through...
460.15000 KLE911 M Bntvl PD-D Police *MotoTRBO* DMR Law Tac

The 436 scans right past them, yet I've confirmed what is on RR is consistent with what is loaded into the scanner's database.

Is there anything else I can try?

Status
Not open for further replies.