BCD436HP/BCD536HP: 436 New Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

rwier

Report: Great sound, easy to understand.

Situation: My new scanner is located at eye height on a shelf above my monitor in a dark room. It stays on external power. It is necessary to have the scanner back-light on (infinite) to read the screen.

Operation: After "Write to Scanner..." has completed, I am left with the screen showing "USB Mass Storage". To resume scanning, I am:

Removing the USB cable (scanner goes on battery power, and the back-light goes out). I plug the USB cable back in. After about 3 seconds the dark screen starts showing changing/flashing messages that I cannot read in the dark. After about 15 seconds of this the scanner resumes scanning with no back-light. I turn on the back-light.

Question: Is there a more direct method to resume scanning after "Write to Scanner..." has completed (with the back-light staying on)?
or
Question: Is there a more direct method to resume scanning after "Write to Scanner..." has completed (even if the back-light turns off)?

Thanks!

rwier

I said too much about the back-light. I was spoiled by the HP-1s. With the HP-1s, after "Writing to Scanner..." completes, simply pull the "dedicated" program cable and the scanner resumes scanning immediately with the charging cable still in place. The 436 needs a "Resume Scanning" option while the combination charge/program USB cable stays in place.

Thanks Mark!

marksmith

I said too much about the back-light. I was spoiled by the HP-1s. With the HP-1s, after "Writing to Scanner..." completes, simply pull the "dedicated" program cable and the scanner resumes scanning immediately with the charging cable still in place. The 436 needs a "Resume Scanning" option while the combination charge/program USB cable stays in place.

Thanks Mark!
No argument.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
That would be handy.
Removing the USB cable (scanner goes on battery power, and the back-light goes out). I plug the USB cable back in. After about 3 seconds the dark screen starts showing changing/flashing messages that I cannot read in the dark. After about 15 seconds of this the scanner resumes scanning with no back-light. I turn on the back-light.
I suspect that the message you can't see on the dark screen is the prompt for 'mass storage' yes/no. Waiting the 10-15 seconds or so, it then defaults to serial (and external power) than starts up.

budevans

Report: Great sound, easy to understand.

Situation: My new scanner is located at eye height on a shelf above my monitor in a dark room. It stays on external power. It is necessary to have the scanner back-light on (infinite) to read the screen.

Operation: After "Write to Scanner..." has completed, I am left with the screen showing "USB Mass Storage". To resume scanning, I am:

Question: Is there a more direct method to resume scanning after "Write to Scanner..." has completed (with the back-light staying on)?
or
Question: Is there a more direct method to resume scanning after "Write to Scanner..." has completed (even if the back-light turns off)?

Thanks!

Why are you removing the USB cable? Just press the Power button. Your scanner will shutdown and reboot. When it powers back on, press the .No button. Your settings have been saved. If the backlight goes out, just press the power button and you will be back to infinite.

One note. If your backlight still goes off after writing from Sentinel. That would mean that you don't have Infinite set in your Profile. Go to the Profile, then Display and change the setting to Infinite, Write to your scanner. Now repeat the above step. You should be good.

Last edited:

rwier

That would be handy.
I suspect that the message you can't see on the dark screen is the prompt for 'mass storage' yes/no. Waiting the 10-15 seconds or so, it then defaults to serial (and external power) than starts up.

OK, a little bit better way (ymmv).

Press and hold Light/Power Key for 1 second. Relax for about 15-20 seconds as the scanner turns itself back on, goes through the hard to see sequence (as per hiegtx Thanks) and resumes scanning on its own. Light can be turned on.

rwier

Why are you removing the USB cable? Just press the Power button. Your scanner will shutdown and reboot. When it powers back on, press the .No button. Your settings have been saved. If the backlight goes out, just press the power button and you will be back to infinite.

One note. If your backlight still goes off after writing from Sentinel. That would mean that you don't have Infinite set in your Profile. Go to the Profile, then Display and change the setting to Infinite, Write to your scanner. Now repeat the above step. You should be good.

"Why are you removing the USB cable?"
Because I didn't know any better, and the reason I started the thread.

Thanks for your post!!! Just lucky on my part that I duplicated it as an experiment. Two key presses: Off (and sometime later) Light. That's good enough for me, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.