SDS100/SDS200: 436 or SDS100; Tough Choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ubbe

Ideally, you would be able to use the Auto setting & have the scanner figure out what is best, then capture that setting for use.
It would have to be a choise to save or not to save the setting as conditions will constantly change and could need another setting when you have moved a distance. It could at least show on the display what filter the auto setting have decided to use, perhaps together with a star to indicate that it's the Auto settings selection, that must be a super simple thing to add in the firmware code.

/Ubbe

BDavis27707

The Uniden website doesn't mention anything about the SDS series ability to handle simulcast. It does say it can receive P25, which includes simulcast, but the the BCD536HP also is listed as receiving P25 and we all know it does not handle simulcast too well. Why is that and what am I missing?? Thanks.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yes and the vendors tend to mimic what comes from Uniden. Radio reference is your best source to know the difference.

The SDS has a SDR chip and without question handles simulcast distortion better than the x36.

I don't know, maybe the answer to your question is that Uniden is out to sell radios. Maybe the marketing people know that more people know that the SDS series picks up simulcast better... than people know the x36 doesn't?

fredva

Feed Provider
The Uniden website doesn't mention anything about the SDS series ability to handle simulcast. It does say it can receive P25, which includes simulcast, but the the BCD536HP also is listed as receiving P25 and we all know it does not handle simulcast too well. Why is that and what am I missing?? Thanks.

I found this in the description of the SDS-100 on the Uniden web site:

"Designed to improve digital performance in even the most challenging RF environments. An I/Q receiver captures the complete signal waveform in 3 dimensions, allowing for improved digital error correction and signal recovery. "

That's another way of saying that it handles simulcast systems well.

bucks83

I Remember DOS
For what it's worth, although I'm new to digital scanners (I had analog scanners), I just purchased the SDS100 and find it complicated but very versatile.

I'm amazed at how many ways you can filter systems, departments, and individual channels.

I haven't been this excited to own a piece of equipment since I bought my 1970 Dodge Charger when it was new.

FalconMaster

Premium Subscriber
I am looking to get either a BCD456HP or a SDS100. I am new to scanners, but not radio. Have been DXing AM broadcast band and listing to shortwave radio here in North Carolina for many years. Also am familiar with programming languages, using databases etc. for work as a Mechanical Engineer. So, I have the technical aptitude to learn how to use one of the units, and to enjoy learning about its operation. Most of my listening will be from home, but also some on the road and at camping sites that I like to go to. I vacillate between the two units. Would a 486 serve me as well as a SDS100, or should I just spend the extra for the SDS knowing that I can install added features as time goes on that perhaps are not offered for the 456. The zip code feature is a real plus to me, as I can get either unit operating immediately while learning finer points of tuning the unit over time. I am looking forward to any advice you can offer and it will be greatly appreciated.
Have you already chosen the scanner for your needs and travels? If you do sometimes go to or near larger metro areas, your best bet is an SDS100. Simulcast is a problem for 436hp. I had one for years and loved it until I began traveling with work and then everything I was interested in would cut out frequently or just not lock on. I also used the zip code for hiway and used Google to set zip codes for coming up cities and set range accordingly. There's a few good deals on new SDS100 in the classified handheld scanner on here at Radioreference. Love looking for bargains on new stuff. Good Luck and happy listening.

blackbelter

Sold my 436 as it could not handle the simulcast properly . I always believed that you don’t buy any piece of technology for today use you choose for future upgrades and changes. Variances such as proximity to CC determines the quality of RX in consumer electronics.

FalconMaster

Premium Subscriber
Although I truly love the SDS100 I have and it's by far the Best scanner I've ever had it's gotta go. I've actually had some kind of scanner since the 70's lol
I prefer Handheld over base because of portability and especially this radio because it charges while listening. Can charge all the way to where I'm going and run without charging the whole time I'm there!

FalconMaster

Premium Subscriber
I can testify that the SDS100 handles simulcast fantastically! Pretty sure it's the Best in that respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.