436 reception

Status
Not open for further replies.

radiophreak

Premium Subscriber
I just received by HP BCD 436 today. I updated the firmware and database. I programmed it with my zip code. Its not picking anything up but wx and cb channels. My 396xt and psr 500 are going off constantly with stock antennas. I see the channels going by but it doesn't stop. I took it for a drive and it finally started pick up some Starcom 21 P25 transmissions. Is there some setting that I'm missing? Or does this scanner just perform this poorly. I live in central Illinois. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

JamesO

Do not own a 436HP, but have a 396XT and I run a Radio Shack 800 MHz rubber duck with good results, seems to be superior on 800 MHz to the stock antenna.

SCPD

QRT
Make sure you have the attenuator off,the range set to as many miles you think you are away from what you want to hear and the service types on ,the ones you want to hear (ie Fire dispatch).Did you turn on full database and pickwhat you wanted to hear and put that in your own favorites list?
Then shut off full database,if full database is on ,it will take 20 years for it to scan and hence it would appear you are receiving next to nothing.In the menu theres a management of scan lists,also turn OFF the nationwide lists.(this sounds like its on because you are getting CB channels).Remember this scanner has everything programmed into it.If I turn full database on and I dont pick 5 mile range I live in NJ,I get NY,NYC,and PA,so you do the math....I would advise you put in 5 miles or even less for your range,get me?Make sure you update the database and the firmware,you do this by taking the microsd card out and putting it into the computer using Uniden Sentinel.Report back,tried to pm you but I cant.Dont get frustrated,its very different from a 396XT ,it takes some "playing with" to get it right,I wanted to put mine through a wall the first few days!Keep calm and program on.

Last edited:

radiophreak

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the tips. Paring down the database definitely helped. Its still underachieving, particularly on the Starcom 21 P25 system. But I'm going keep at it.

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
After doing the above, if it is still not working right, try swapping the antennas with one of the other scanners and make sure the antenna is actually working.

Status
Not open for further replies.