436 serial port usb driver changing com ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vonskie

In device manager it showed up as com4 but today it showed up as com5.

This is important to know as you may have your software using port x and then the next time you plugin the cable it is on a different port.

So check your device manager if your serial connections are having problems as the ports might have changed.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
If you plug it into a different physical USB jack, it will typically assign a different COM port.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
If you plug it into a different physical USB jack, it will typically assign a different COM port.

Yes, welcome to Windows. This is part of the reason my 436 is COM40 on one port and COM41 on the other.. and why I have a web page called "removing hidden COM ports" bookmarked.

Vonskie

Yes, welcome to Windows. This is part of the reason my 436 is COM40 on one port and COM41 on the other.. and why I have a web page called "removing hidden COM ports" bookmarked.

Man how high do the com ports go, I wrote a program called Scanner Screen for the 436 and 536 and I put a drop down box for all the com ports it might use I went to 30 thinking that was as high as it would go.

Yours using 40 that's amazing where does it pull these numbers from to assign the com ports?

UPMan?

Last edited:

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Man how high do the com ports go, I wrote a program called Scanner Screen for the 436 and 536 and I put a drop down box for all the com ports it might use I went to 30 thinking that was as high as it would go.

Yours using 40 that's amazing where does it pull these numbers from to assign the com ports?

UPMan?

Every device that I connect that uses a "com port" creates its own - that's just how Windows operates. Even if I disconnect it and never use it again, that port is reserved for it forevermore (or until I get tired of it and clean out the list). To make matters worse, if I am not absolutely religious about always plugging the device in the same port on the computer or USB hub, it will assign yet another com port for each "new" USB port I plug it into.

I actually am using your program. I went into properties on the Uniden Serial Port in device manager to change the com port from COM40 to COM30. Windows complains that "some devices may fail to function" if I do that, but whatever used to be COM30 isn't plugged in right now. I had to unplug and replug (and reboot the scanner) before the program would recognize it, but it's working fine with that.

Trivia: COM ports can be 0 to 255.

For people who are having this kind of issue: How to Delete Or Clear COM Ports In Use - Device Manager Hidden

Vonskie

Every device that I connect that uses a "com port" creates its own - that's just how Windows operates. Even if I disconnect it and never use it again, that port is reserved for it forevermore (or until I get tired of it and clean out the list). To make matters worse, if I am not absolutely religious about always plugging the device in the same port on the computer or USB hub, it will assign yet another com port for each "new" USB port I plug it into.

I actually am using your program. I went into properties on the Uniden Serial Port in device manager to change the com port from COM40 to COM30. Windows complains that "some devices may fail to function" if I do that, but whatever used to be COM30 isn't plugged in right now. I had to unplug and replug (and reboot the scanner) before the program would recognize it, but it's working fine with that.

Trivia: COM ports can be 0 to 255.

For people who are having this kind of issue: How to Delete Or Clear COM Ports In Use - Device Manager Hidden

Thank you for the bit of trivia version .18 is out and it allows you to select com0-255

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_Jndzk4GdzJN044U1N3S0FIV0k/edit?usp=sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.