436HP 1st Road Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
My first trip with my new 436 was quite an adventure. No, I haven't bought the GPS yet, but I loaded the radio with a favorite list.

The first thing I noticed is making sure you have the QKs right before getting in the car. If you don't & get the number out of sequence, it makes it difficult because you are seeing counties that won't go away and the ones you do are incorrect on the screen.

I have also noticed it would be optimal to have a car with better road noise insulation since my Nissan Versa is noisy. So, I started looking to see if they made an amplified 3.5 mm earphone, single. I found one, but I don't know if it would work. Since I can no longer hook this into my Kenwood stereo Mp3 input, this seems a better option. I'm sure at my age, old-headbanger, that my hair cells in my ear are almost flat.

Here is what I found: Headphones and Earphones for Personal Listening Systems : Personal Listening System Accessories

Now, for the other issue, the difficulty finding how to turn off/on systems & departments while driving. I had a few swerves in traffic attempting to change this. GPS will likely take care of this.

I'm also considering buying a magnified screen and lens to position in front of the display because it is hard to see, small print.

I love this radio. In a multi-site system, it rocks. I've not figured out how to toggle between sites when they've been assigned a QK.

Onward through the fog.

AuntEnvy

Premium Subscriber
Hopefully the connection for the GPS is better on this model.

It definitely makes things easier, safer and more enjoyable.

I took my HP1 for a trip for the first time recently, with the GPS and it is a great invention/technology. The problem is the cable comes unplugged VERY easily. I'm guessing a better mounting position might help but I'm not even certain of that. You need an extremely solid/un-stressed connection area for this to stay in place for any length of time. Unless you are willing or able to make it a very permanent setup I'm certain it will continue to be an issue.

AC0RV

Feed Provider
I am using a FM transmiter to send a signal to my vehicle's stereo. But I have found that it seems that to be a mono. So I plan on getting a mono to stereo adapter for earplug setup and try it that.

Oh when you do get a GPS., you may need to play with range of your location and the range of your department's Range to get them the way you want them.

You may want to do the same. good have fun.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
When I made road trips with portable scanners, I connected them to external amplified speakers. I've used a couple of Radio Shack ones as well as the Uniden models.

The safety zealot in me discourages someone using earphones or headphones while operating a vehicle.

In the quick key hierarchy, sites are on the same level as departments. You have Favorites List (FL) Systems (SS) then Departments (DS). So the sequence is FL.SS.DS <enter>.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Cautioned Uniden 436HP

Why are you not able to hook up the mp3 player? (Or another amplified speaker.)

Sent via Tapatalk

I've been told, by some, that the Uniden 436 has an amplified earphone circuit that would damage the scanner and/or stereo receiver should the scanner volume exceed a certain level. Someone suggested that I keep the scanner on low volume. I am thinking of buying this great little external speaker.

The only complaint I have about this radio would be the volume for noisy cars at highway speeds. It does not even compare to my loud PSR 500. So, I will likely order one of these little beasts to increase the sound. I want to stay away from amplified speakers if I can avoid it.

Ranger SRA-166C External Speaker Review

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
UPman said before I believe that regular speakers don't work on the 436. Something about not enough power to make it work correctly.

That has been proven out with mine. An old reliable standard speaker for radios/scanners/cbs didn't work.

He suggested an amplified speaker I'm pretty sure. I tried one but it brought with it horrible engine noise and was useless for me. I went to the cassette adapter I mentioned in your other thread and it works great now. Just not on all speakers but only front left. Still can hear it when it gets noisy and have car sound to make it as loud as I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.