436HP/536HP/SDS100 radio reference trunked systems slowly disappearing.

radioman2008

Batlabs user Wazzzzzzzzup (2001-Present)
Premium Subscriber
I have about 10 436HP/536HP and an SDS 100. ive owned my first one since 2015. all of them are slowly forgetting the radio reference loaded trunked systems, and or the associated internal data that tells the scanner how to trunk each system. this even happens on systems i make from scratch. there's been times I'm out in the field and notice that a particular system is no longer in my scanner, and i have to make that system from scratch in favorites. it works for a while and some of my custom systems meet the same fate.

i have formatted the memory cards, i have loaded the latest sentinel databases in them, full force write. turned on all categories to listen, increased my range to max, I've went into scanner and reset user data in the settings.

doesn't matter, no matter what i do i can't bring back all the systems that get loaded in from sentinel from radio reference. some of my scanners should show 25 radio ref systems, but only show 10 some less, when one time there was double that.

anyone experience this and have a solution?

tvengr

Well Known Member
Have you reprogrammed the scanners missing systems? Are Download and Monitor both set to On when you write the favorites lists to the scanner? If the scanners are just losing systems by themselves, I would replace the SD cards, not just reformat them. The systems are stored on the SD cards. Bad SD cards are the most common reason for scanner problems.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
With that many radios (10?) all exhibiting issues, it is basically inpossible for it to be something like an SD card.
(They all would NOT go bad all at the same time - or the odds are astronomical...

So, something in your radio read/write procedure, programming, etc has to be to blame.
First thing I'd do, once you have everything the way you want is to mount a radio, (mass storage mode), and copy the BCDx36HP folder to your hard drive. That way, you will always have a good copy of your favorite list programming.

Are you using Sentinel or ProScan?

gary123

Another possibility is system changes like reallocated TG or system upgrade for P1 to P2. I have access to many 536 and none have had anything like what you are describing. They are of the same vintage you are talking about.

When we purchased them we installed high quality SD cards. The units are not constantly being reprogrammed but are update 1-3 time a year to accommodate new users on systems they are programmed for.

We use both sentinel and Butel for programming. you may want to look at a secondary programming application to eliminate some type of data base corruption..

tvengr

Well Known Member
With that many radios (10?) all exhibiting issues, it is basically inpossible for it to be something like an SD card.
(They all would NOT go bad all at the same time - or the odds are astronomical...
On almost every identical monochrome monitor is our control rooms, we lost vertical deflection. There was a bad run of MC1393P chips. The same could happen with SD cards all purchased at the same time.

ranger2004

Keep your scanner anyway from Magnets. Large or small. Even setting them on a speaker can slowly cause problems.
I had a TV/Audio system with large enclosed speakers. When I would come home from work I would put my phone and laptop bag on it.

Every week I was having issues with the OS, then my phone started just missing data.
It was then I realized what was happening.

Just maybe a possibility.

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Keep your scanner anyway from Magnets. Large or small. Even setting them on a speaker can slowly cause problems.
I had a TV/Audio system with large enclosed speakers. When I would come home from work I would put my phone and laptop bag on it.

Every week I was having issues with the OS, then my phone started just missing data.
It was then I realized what was happening.

Just maybe a possibility.

Unless your phone / computer / radio has a magnetic storage medium (hard disk, etc) it is unlikely that a magnetic field would effect it.
A REALLY strong field (like an MRI) might, but doubtful any household/commercial speaker magnet is that strong...

radioman2008

Premium Subscriber

So, something in your radio read/write procedure, programming, etc has to be to blame.
First thing I'd do, once you have everything the way you want is to mount a radio, (mass storage mode), and copy the BCDx36HP folder to your hard drive. That way, you will always have a good copy of your favorite list programming.

Are you using Sentinel or ProScan?
it hasn't happened all at the same time, it's been slow, over the last 9 years.

I use high quality Sandisk high endurance sd cards, designed for high amounts of data i/o, I keep copies of each card on my PC, I save all the data to PC

I can even start from scratch, buy a new high endurance card, clear it with sentinel, set it up write, and the scanner won't see any of the systems that it didn't see before I put new card in with latest firmware and latest radio reference database.

its really like the scanner has its own separate internal memory and only references the card under certain circumstances. like i need to completely nuke the scanner, so that it reloads a fresh card. but the normal clear user data doesnt do this.

JoeBearcat

Uniden Representative
its really like the scanner has its own separate internal memory and only references the card under certain circumstances. like i need to completely nuke the scanner, so that it reloads a fresh card. but the normal clear user data doesnt do this.

Those 'circumstances' are when it is turned on or the 'systems to scan' list is changed.

Clear User Data should set it back to factory with no user data.

You might want to try a format before that to ensure the card does not have an issue.

But it sounds like the DOWNLOAD is not enabled for those systems.

radioman2008

Premium Subscriber
so it appears i have to follow this process for it to work.

download scanner for backup
select clear user data from scanner
format card
clear card and load new profile w sentinel
reinstall SD card in scanner, turn on.
turn on all scan options
widen area to max.

then the scanner recognizes the latest systems in sentinel.

thank you for the responses