436hp/536hp tips and tricks

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Also don't like the fact that I can't treat the scanner as a cellphone, in terms of charging it and keeping it plugged in. This is my first scanner, and I want it to be portable, I can't justify buying a mobile scanner for my car, I want it in my house, or out on a walk. Hence the portable handheld. Problem is that the stupid charging circuit is not built to charge and keep the power on. Not to mention the re$arded "Charge?" prompt that pops up that asked you to charge the batteries. I don't intend to run it on non-rechargeables, so I don't want to see that stupid prompt, and it also stops reception until the prompt is answered, so I'm double fahKKed.

What I do with my 396 is use a separate smart charger and use two sets of rechargeable batteries. /this way I always have a backup set ready to go. The smart chargers are a lot friendlier to the cells than charging in the radio.

AZScanner

Somewhere in this room. Right now, you're very col
What I do with my 396 is use a separate smart charger and use two sets of rechargeable batteries. /this way I always have a backup set ready to go. The smart chargers are a lot friendlier to the cells than charging in the radio.

To add to this also, I let it charge overnight when it needs to, but then when I get to work or back home again, I put it back on USB power and just run it in serial mode. That way the batteries stay charged and the scanner uses them only when needed. 90% of the time when I'm listening, I'm on or near a computer. It's a simple matter to plug it in and let the PC power it instead of the batteries all the time. I've gotten nearly a week of use out of one charge just by running it on USB power whenever possible.

-AZ

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Hidden Menu Test Screens in the 436

I thought I would start a thread with user tips and tricks on these new scanners since they have now been out for awhile.

WARNING: Some of these cause the scanner to lock up, just remove a battery and reinstall it and turn it back on. Make sure your scanner is backed up before you do any of this.

Press and hold 2, 0 and on--Birdie Search 5K steps
Press and hold 3, 0 and on--Key Touch Test/Headphone
Press and hold 1, 0, Yes and on CAUTION THIS IS ALL MEMORY CLEAR
Press and hold 9, Chan and on--Clock Test
Press and hold 4, Chan, and on--Tone Out Stand By Tone out 1 163.400 CH:1 NFM A:300Hz B:3000 Hz
Press and hold 3, Chan and on--Boots up no LCD screen
Press and hold 2, Chan and on--LCD Contrast ADJ test
Press and hold 1, Chan and on Checker Board screen Press a key and switch to key touch/headphone
Press and hold 1, Dept and on--USB Serial Test
Press and hold 3, Dept and on --LCD Contrast Adjust Test
Press and hold 1, Syst and on--Close Call Test
Press and hold 2, Sys and on--USB Serial Test
Press and hold 3, Syst and on--Checker Board LCD
Press and hold 4, Syst and on--Search Test 5K steps hit syst or dept to change step sizes
Press and hold 6, syst and on--TOne Out Standby
Press and hold 7, Syst and on--Trunking Test 1 Moto, 2 EDACS Wide, 3 EDACS Narrow, 4 LTR
1 Motorola--Displays 851.0125 CTRL press DEPT changes to VOICE SYS changes back to CTRL Avoid changes to LSD Press Menu to go back to Trunking Test Menu
2. EDACS Wide Displays 851.0125 CT, Dept changes to VC, System changes back to CT
3. EDCAS Narrow, displays 894.0125 same changes as above
4. LTR displays 851.0125------
Press and hold 8, Syst and on NWR-SAME TEST 162.400 Press Dept to change to WX Alert Test---Turn off and turn on holding on and it boots up to Monitor Weather-Turn dial to change stations
Press 0 and Syst and on--Load Test Data
Press and hold 3, 9 and on Scan Rate Test
Press and hold 5, 9 and on Software Version Test

MStep

Thought I saw this when I first got the scanner, but it's buried in the menus--- it took me a while to "rediscover" it--- the ability to lock out a specific tone on any given frequency. Nice if you are hunting DX on a specific frequency, and you don't want to listen to your local ham repeater or fire department, etc, all day long. Lock out their specific tone and just hear other stations that are using the frequency, provided of course that your local station is off-the-air at the time.

I have been playing the the 536 for about a week--- there are many nuances in the way you can set up your scanner which are not immediately apparent, even to an "old-timer" like me. (Been monitoring since the mid 1950's). And even coming from the HP1, there is somewhat of a learning curve with the 536--- I'm sure that's also true of the 436.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I thought I would start a thread with user tips and tricks on these new scanners since they have now been out for awhile.

WARNING: Some of these cause the scanner to lock up, just remove a battery and reinstall it and turn it back on. Make sure your scanner is backed up before you do any of this.

Press and hold 2, 0 and on--Birdie Search 5K steps
Press and hold 3, 0 and on--Key Touch Test/Headphone
Press and hold 1, 0, Yes and on CAUTION THIS IS ALL MEMORY CLEAR
Press and hold 9, Chan and on--Clock Test
Press and hold 4, Chan, and on--Tone Out Stand By Tone out 1 163.400 CH:1 NFM A:300Hz B:3000 Hz
Press and hold 3, Chan and on--Boots up no LCD screen
Press and hold 2, Chan and on--LCD Contrast ADJ test
Press and hold 1, Chan and on Checker Board screen Press a key and switch to key touch/headphone
Press and hold 1, Dept and on--USB Serial Test
Press and hold 3, Dept and on --LCD Contrast Adjust Test
Press and hold 1, Syst and on--Close Call Test
Press and hold 2, Sys and on--USB Serial Test
Press and hold 3, Syst and on--Checker Board LCD
Press and hold 4, Syst and on--Search Test 5K steps hit syst or dept to change step sizes
Press and hold 6, syst and on--TOne Out Standby
Press and hold 7, Syst and on--Trunking Test 1 Moto, 2 EDACS Wide, 3 EDACS Narrow, 4 LTR
1 Motorola--Displays 851.0125 CTRL press DEPT changes to VOICE SYS changes back to CTRL Avoid changes to LSD Press Menu to go back to Trunking Test Menu
2. EDACS Wide Displays 851.0125 CT, Dept changes to VC, System changes back to CT
3. EDCAS Narrow, displays 894.0125 same changes as above
4. LTR displays 851.0125------
Press and hold 8, Syst and on NWR-SAME TEST 162.400 Press Dept to change to WX Alert Test---Turn off and turn on holding on and it boots up to Monitor Weather-Turn dial to change stations
Press 0 and Syst and on--Load Test Data
Press and hold 3, 9 and on Scan Rate Test
Press and hold 5, 9 and on Software Version Test

I held down 7 Syst and on and the trunking came up is there way to change the Freq?

MStep

Here is an idea for users of the 536 (likely applicable to the 436 as well) who may not use the "Tone Out" function of the radio. SImply turn the function into a quick, 32 channel, manually operated receiver.

Simply program a few popular frequencies into the Tone-Out functions of your unit. Then assign on of the custom search keys (either 1,2 or 3) to the Tone-Out function. When you need to get to a frequency quickly while scanning, simply press "Channel" then press "Function" then the Custom Key Number (1,2, or 3), and you are into your Tone-Out channels. Your channel will be up there waiting for you (or simply use the Function knob to scroll to your channel), then press "Channel" one more time to go into "Hold" mode. This will enable you to listen to your frequency.

It may sound a little complicated at first, but if you give it a try (especially in the mobile), you can perform the whole operation in under 10 seconds (even 5 when you get the hang of it) without taking your eyes off the road and you will be on the frequency that you want to monitor.

This is great if you have a couple of frequencies that you need to get to quickly. You can certainly load up the full 32 bank compliment with channels, although up to three channels make for easy mobile operation.

The good thing is that you don't have to forgo the Tone-Out functions of your scanner--- you can have some of your channels assigned to that as well. This is one way of getting to frequencies quickly that some of my friends found useful. There are others as well, including the use of channel number tags or quick keys. You might find this a more comfortable way to accomplish the same thing. My apologies to anyone who may have suggested this before--- I couldn't find anything on it.

Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Voyager

Great idea. It will even work if you have tone set, as the HOLD mode defeats (opens) the decoder.

MStep

Here is a great tip/trick that can help you navigate the menus on your 536 (should also work with the 436) more quickly for certain operations. Once again, my apologies to anyone who might have come across and reported this before.

This has to do with managing your favorites. While scanning, or while in HOLD mode in one of your favorite groups, if you hit the your SYSTEM key followed my the MENU key (while you system is still highlighted), you will jump right into the sub-menu for that system in your "Manage Favorites" main menu. To return to listening, hit the SYSTEM key again.

In addition the same thing will happen if you hit your DEPT key, and while it is highlighted, hit the MENU key, and you will jump right into the sub-menu for the department in your "Manage Favorites" main menu. To return to listening, hit the DEPT key again.

All of this allows for quick and easy, "on-the-fly" edits of your favorites. Give it a try and let me know what you think.

Voyager

Not sure if this was mentioned before, but a quick MENU EXIT mode is to hit the L/O or AVOID key (depending on model) which will immediately exit the menu no matter where you are.

MStep

There are probably a lot of other little tricks that different key combinations can do. The problem is because many of them are not documented in the Owner's Manual, we can't be sure if they were designed to operate in this fashion, or if they may just be anomalies of different firmware versions.

A trick or shortcut that you learn and use today could suddenly vanish in the next version of the firmware. Just something to consider and keep an eye on should there be another version of the firmware developed.

Voyager

Most of the tips/tricks mentioned are in the user's manual, so I don't think they will be going away. The one I mentioned dates back to the BC246T.

alphaacres

Premium Subscriber
To make a Debug log file:
1) Power up while holding AVOID.(adds Set Debug Log Mode to settings)
2) MENU --> SETTINGS --> Set Debug Log Mode --> SD Card File
3) Monitor for a bit (a minute or two is plenty).
4) MENU --> SETTINGS --> Set Debug Log Mode --> Off
5) File is in the debug directory on the SD card.

mitbr

Thanks for the contribution!! Great tip.
Keep the tips and tricks coming folks.
Tim

kandrey89

Feed Provider

Thanks, can you post a sample of what the log reports, don't want to go through the hassle of pulling my radio from the car just to check.

Status
Not open for further replies.