BCD436HP/BCD536HP: 436HP and GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
I have my GPS on order, but today, I had to make a 200 mile road trip. I entered the zip of the county seat into the scanner as I crossed into each new county. This worked very well on our statewide P25 system, as well as local utilities and fire/medical.

One thing I noticed, however, was after entering each new zip, it reloaded the database, and erased all the AVOIDS I had put in (mostly birdies, and a few low band channels that were picking up engine noise and opening the squelch).

When this scanner is connected to a GPS, and moves from area to area, requiring it to load from the database, does it erase all the avoids every time it does this? And how often as you are driving, does it load new information from the database?

rocksteady

Once the GPS is plugged it goes into location scanning hence zip codes are ignored. I believe. I have never had to lock out more than once in a 200 mile ride. I have only seen it load the data base one time in GPS mode

Sent from my tricked out Droid4!

Hit_Factor

I don't notice that the DB is reloading as I drive around (I would have if it did). I think each time you enter the zip code it is causing the reload of the DB.

Over the weekend on a East/West trip a county that was to the north of me was picked up, on the way back it was still avoided.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Temporary or permanent avoid?

I use a HP1 - and even a temp. seems to keep the birdies and crap away. However I often do a permanent one.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
When hooked up to a GPS you will not normally have the temporary avoids wiped out, unless you cross a boundary that requires a different part of the database to be loaded. For example, if you (or your "range circle") crosses a state boundary and another state has to be loaded into memory.

When you enter a zip/post code, the scanner always behaves as if it has to reload the full DB.

If you want to keep birdies and RFI eliminated, do a permanent avoid (avoid button x 2). They will stay avoided forever.

buckobob

I traveled from Texas to Iowa and back last week. I used the GPS with my 436HP and had very little birdie noise or any avoids. That was basic law enforcement, ems, and fire we were monitoring.

davenlr

Premium Subscriber
Ok thanks. I have 3 EMS national channels that always stop and just go Click Click Click non-stop that I avoid, and two others (military channels). Did not know about the permanent two avoid method. Will use that. Sounds like I am good with the GPS then. Was just going to mount the radio closer to me than where I planned, if I was going to have to keep re-avoiding the same channels over and over.

Status
Not open for further replies.