436HP deaf on LVMPD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eugene

Greetings. I was recently in Las Vegas at the Luxor and had my 436HP programed with LVMPD on their new system and FD/EMS on their system and NHP on EDACS. Fire to me seemed a bit quiet but was getting EMS to Hospitals and NHP just fine. LVMPD silent. Was receiving the control channel and have system as phase II. Granted I only had the Convention District programed but should have heard something. I vaguely remember a poster somewhere stating that when he had a similar problem he turned the squelch all the way up and it worked, which seems counter intuitive to me. Anyway, any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Eugene KG4AVE

br0adband

LVMPD is a P25 Phase 1 system and my 436 picks up all the LVMPD channels without a problem. I keep my squelch on 2.

That's incorrect, but I'm guessing you just mistyped the 2 which should be there for a 1 - LVMPD has been using a P25 Phase 2 system for about 1.5 years now. As for the lack of reception I can't speak for that, there could be a lot of variables involved but one would think if the scanner is programmed correctly that even inside the Luxor there would be some level of reception on that particular system. Only thing that comes to mind is there's some variable in the programming of that system into the scanner that could be "off" or not the particular setting it should be, maybe?

If everything else you've programmed into it was coming in OK then I can't think of any other reason - the other systems like S.N.A.C.C. where all the Fire and EMS traffic is now is P25 Phase 1 and of course you already know that NHP is using EDACS.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Lvmpd and 436hp

Check to make sure services are correctly toggled on the 36hp scanners added another layer for us to program. So you need law/law talk/law tac / etc. You are correct there is activity on convention center. Some talk groups are encrypted.

Eugene

Thanks for the replies. Will recheck everything just in case. You never know when the nut behind the keyboard can become loose.

Eugene KG4AVE

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
Which sites were you scanning? Were you on the Strip?

Tall buildings will either reflect or absorb signals which causes either no signal or your signal bar to constantly bounce between 2-5 bars. Ive yet to see/hear a solid Metro signal.

For future reference, Sunrise is their primary site for the Strip and well the entire town. When you get up into North Las Vegas, especially along US-95, its best to monitor Angel Peak. If you're coming up I-15 from Baker, Mount Potosi is the site you want to monitor.

AA6IO

Premium Subscriber
My wife and I were next door at the Excalibur on the 13th floor about 4 weeks ago. Ate over at the Luxor one night. Had two 436HPs with me. Performed very well overall, including solid performance on LVMPD P25 Phase 2.

Eugene

I was monitoring the Convention District only. I did not have the Sunrise site programmed in. The signal strength was was bouncing as you describe. I was on the 21st floor at the Luxor. Interesting that sshermamd had no problem. He may have had the Sunrise site in there. Anyway I will reprogram and triple check....will get another shot at this. Thanks.

Eugene KG4AVE

br0adband

Holy cow, I just noted where you're from Eugene, that's my hometown. :)

Born in P-town long ago, left, returned, left, returned, oh about 2 dozen cycles later I left again and been in Las Vegas for a while, moving to Missouri in August actually. Still got all my relatives there back home as well, they never go anywhere or do much of anything, unfortunately.

Lots of changes over the decades, I heard what used to be Mid-City shopping center was flattened out long ago and it's a Walmart Supercenter now - a sister of mine there said they're putting in a Panda Express soon too (my fave place to eat for a long time now).

Anyway, hope the scanner issues work out for you, if you did not have the Sunrise site programmed into that system that absolutely would cause you to miss just about everything, especially if you were on the 21st floor of the Luxor. That kind of height even with the structure of the Luxor itself should have proven to pull in signals without many issues so, definitely make sure you've got that site or even most of them programmed in. It's LSM hell here so the retail scanners will do the best they can with LVMPD in any given situation, I prefer using OP25 which handles LSM just about as well as can possibly be expected without actually having one of the radios in use on the system itself.

Good luck...

Eugene

Yes its definitely changed over the years. New connector from High street directly to the tunnel or 164. . New condo's across from the Wal-Mart. Kroger Super Center across the street from that. I live at the foot of the Churchland bridge in Pinehurst. I will definitely reprogram and give it another go......Thanks.

Eugene KG4AVE

Status
Not open for further replies.