436HP Easier to Read Vs Manual

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Some refer to the Easier to Read guide as an easier way to understand their radios. I've seen one for the Sentinel software as well. However, I find the Uniden manual much easier to understand. The Easier to Read guides for the radio & software are all over the place regarding organization. Furthermore, the author makes references without explaining such or directing the user to a reference point. For instance, when I attempted to find the back light adjustment, it does not really spell it out. I don't remember seeing any reference to the menu button in finding display within the "set back light" section. Maybe my dyslexia is hampering my efforts, but I find the Easier to Read guides to be the opposite.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Perfect Example of Vague Easier To Read Guide Sentinel

Here is a great example of the vague description used in the "Easier to Read Guide for Sentinel." Yes, I put in "Clear User Data" in the find function of the browser. It takes me to a "Clear User Data" Click button.
Here is what this wonderfully-written guide says, " Allows you to clear all user data (full reset). This will delete all favorites lists, reset all profile options to default, clear all avoids, delete all recording sessions, and all discovery and analyze logs." No explanation whatsoever about how to initialize the card! I've seen posts about this topic, initialization issues within the forum, but for some reason, the search function is not bringing these posts up. I am currently livid!

Last edited:

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Your question doesn't make much sense. The "Clear User Data" button wipes all data from the card, and puts the default settings, database and such on the card. If you want to initialize the card, just click the button, and let Sentinel do its thing.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Simple

apw
Here is a great example of the vague description used in the "Easier to Read Guide for Sentinel." Yes, I put in "Clear User Data" in the find function of the browser. It takes me to a "Clear User Data" Click button.
Here is what this wonderfully-written guide says, " Allows you to clear all user data (full reset). This will delete all favorites lists, reset all profile options to default, clear all avoids, delete all recording sessions, and all discovery and analyze logs." No explanation whatsoever about how to initialize the card! I've seen posts about this topic, initialization issues within the forum, but for some reason, the search function is not bringing these posts up. I am currently livid!

It is really quite simple: 1) open Easier To Read Guide for Sentinel; b) activate "find on this page" in your web browser"; 3) put the aforementioned phrase, "clear user data" into the box and hit enter.

It will take you to this statement about "clear user data":

Clear User Data Allows you to clear all user data (full reset). This will delete all favorites lists, reset all profile options to default, clear all avoids, delete all recording sessions, and all discovery and analyze logs.

If you are attempting to understand the process of "clear user data", there is absolutely no explanation about how to do this, only the quoted phrase. If it is explained elsewhere, I could not find it using the find function.

I call this a "Harder to Read Guide." The Uniden Owner's manual is better written, IMHO.

I am not asking how to do this function. I appreciate your response, but I am only commenting on the vaguely-written piece of work, Easier to Read Guide.

Last edited:

kd7eir

The Easier To Read SENTINEL Manual is designed to tell you how to use SENTINEL - THE SOFTWARE.

Clear User Data IN SENTINEL is designed to allow you to get a clean start with the scanner, NOT to format a new memory card.

The Easier To Read SCANNER Manual is designed to tell you how to use the PHYSICAL SCANNER - THE HARDWARE

If you search Clear User Data in the Easier To Read SCANNER MANUAL, which is designed to tell you how to use the HARDWARE, you find this:

Reformatting the Micro SD Card

SD cards should only be formatted using the special SD Card Formatter. Cards up to 32GB are supported. After formatting, the scanner may not be automatically detected (since it is wiped clean), so you may need to uncheck "Hide empty drives" in (Windows 7) Tools>Folder Options>View before doing the next "Clear User Data" step. Then, you need to "Clear User Data" and check "Display all drives" using Sentinel to restore all files and directories to the card. You will also need to "Write to Scanner" in the "Scanner" menu to restore your Favorites Lists.

The Easier To Read Scanner Manual even gives a live HTML link to the sd card formatting software

Frankly, I cannot see what you are complaining about unless it's that a SOFTWARE MANUAL is not telling you how to use the HARDWARE.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
A software program manual should not be expected to include a complete guide to the OS. If you're running Windows programs, it's ridiculous to expect that every program's manual should include a complete guide to using Windows.

Also, formatting a drive or memory card is a basic computing skill analogous to wiping your behind after you defecate. It's something you should know how to do without having to read a manual if you use a computer regularly. Or even if you don't.

joeuser

The Wretched
My mommy & daddy taught me to wipe my backside after number two. Mommy & daddy didn't teach me format commands or right click over drive menus or FAT, FAT32, NTFS, Etc...

Your mommy & daddy must be smarter than mine!

kd7eir

Always thought it was worth what you paid for it.
Yes, because the Sentinel manual that Uniden provides is so much better. Oh, wait, Uniden provides no Sentinel manual. There is no more through reference to Sentinel than the Easier To Read Manual. I have to wonder if you have even SEEN them. As far as the snarky "what you paid for it", you can also buy it in printed form.

Anxiously awaiting your better manual. When will it be available at Amazon?

Sent from my fertile imagination.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Yep, I've seen them - never looked at their Sentinel manual - nor any Sentinel manual but then I've only been using Sentinel for 4 or 5 years. Found it rather self explanatory , with the caveat of a few "kinks". Since you are a IT pro, you should realize that ANY software, well written , poorly written whatever, they all have their personal attributes that one must adapt to.

Been around the block with more MRP installs and updates with different platforms that I care to remember.

I've looked at several of the ez to read, I've even used them to quickly find something, if it was one of the 1st Google hits, but I would not recommend them.

Like everything - that's my opinion.

Printed - I'd rather save a tree :)

Yes, because the Sentinel manual that Uniden provides is so much better. Oh, wait, Uniden provides no Sentinel manual. There is no more through reference to Sentinel than the Easier To Read Manual. I have to wonder if you have even SEEN them. As far as the snarky "what you paid for it", you can also buy it in printed form.

Anxiously awaiting your better manual. When will it be available at Amazon?

Sent from my fertile imagination.

Status
Not open for further replies.