BCD436HP/BCD536HP: 436HP $$$ In Hand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Ok. I finally saved enough money and now I am ready to order the unit. I checked on the authorized dealers and Scanner Master wasn't one of them.

I was kind of counting on Scanner Master being a dealer. I thought they used to be an authorized dealer. They are offering a setup and firmware updates, optimizing for and extra $29.00 or so.

Any comments?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Ok. I finally saved enough money and now I am ready to order the unit. I checked on the authorized dealers and Scanner Master wasn't one of them.

I was kind of counting on Scanner Master being a dealer. I thought they used to be an authorized dealer. They are offering a setup and firmware updates, optimizing for and extra $29.00 or so.

Any comments?
Uniden does not actually "use" authorized dealers on the scanners. Instead, they sell direct mostly to distributors, who, in turn, supply them to resellers.

So there'd be no problems ordering from ScannerMaster. This one is a little cheaper. HRO is at 489.95, with free shipping.

You definitely do not need to pay any of the dealers $29.00 (or any amount) for "optimization". You install Sentinel on your PC, do a database update, then use Sentinel to update the scanner. Takes less than ten minutes (depending on your download speed). You can set your location in Sentinel, along with the initial range you want, so that that gets pushed to the scanner as well.

Actually, if you order the scanner, go ahead & get a jump start by installing Sentinel now. Then, when the unit arrives, just load and go.

If you pm me a basic idea of what systems you want (besides Waco), I can create a Favorites list for your area very easily, to give you some ideas. If you want to tackle that yourself, there are several Youtube videos out there on creating a list using the main database. This is one UPMan did. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECOUceSdVCo

pdisher

Premium Subscriber
Does "authorized" really matter?
I purchased from the Ham Radio Outlet in Salem NH.

Scanner Master is has a good reputation.

at the moment Ham Radio Outlet has them in stock and actually has an open box unit as well! (439.00)

http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-012895&oi=1056691783

On the list from Uniden under where to buy Walmart is listed!

I'd go with ScannerMaster or Ham Radio Outlet before a general retailer

Just my comment

Last edited:

mrkelso

Take that money you saved and go buy 1/2 oz of gold and put it away for your future. It may not be as much fun but it will give you some security. Then go buy one of the older cheapest models you can find and use that until you can't hear anything on it anymore.

Coffeegrind

So I'm a newbie and ordered one of the on Thursday. I have never used a scanner before but have been listening online through Broadcastify for a few weeks and I am Hooked! I can't turn it off,
Does anyone think I bought a difficult scanner for my first one?
I ordered it through Scanner Master and being the new kid on the block I thought it might be good to have them set it up ( I probably wasted $29 )

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You probably spent $29 for a good scanner programming lesson so the money wasn't wasted. With someone else setting up the scanner, it will give you some ideas on how it is done.

While learning new scanners is a time and patience consuming endeavor, most anyone can catch-on as time goes along.

By saving what you have on your computer, you'll have a restore point. So with that in mind, don't be afraid to experiment. It is unlikely that you can do anything to blow your scanner up.

Though Scannermaster may have set it up, few scanner folks are ever completely satisfied with how their scanner is laid out even programming it themselve. "Polishing things up" is an on-going process for many of us.

There are many You Tube videos on these scanners along with how to use the Sentinel software. Though you have a 436, the 536 videos may also be helpful in some regards.

Welcome to the hobby and don't be afraid to ask questions. There are many folks here who are very willing to offer ideas.

Coffeegrind

"By saving what you have on your computer you will have a restore point"

How do I save what I have? Copy the so card data to my computer ?

Thank you for your help and your replies.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
What A Rush! Bought 436HP

Uniden does not actually "use" authorized dealers on the scanners. Instead, they sell direct mostly to distributors, who, in turn, supply them to resellers.

So there'd be no problems ordering from ScannerMaster. This one is a little cheaper. HRO is at 489.95, with free shipping.

You definitely do not need to pay any of the dealers $29.00 (or any amount) for "optimization". You install Sentinel on your PC, do a database update, then use Sentinel to update the scanner. Takes less than ten minutes (depending on your download speed). You can set your location in Sentinel, along with the initial range you want, so that that gets pushed to the scanner as well.

Actually, if you order the scanner, go ahead & get a jump start by installing Sentinel now. Then, when the unit arrives, just load and go.

If you pm me a basic idea of what systems you want (besides Waco), I can create a Favorites list for your area very easily, to give you some ideas. If you want to tackle that yourself, there are several Youtube videos out there on creating a list using the main database. This is one UPMan did. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECOUceSdVCo

I took your advice. I forgot the sales pitch they used regarding optimizing. I believe it had something to do with Geo-tagging. I still don't know what this entails yet. Do you have to Geo-Tag Tower sites like you do on a GRE PSR 500? Or is this related to GPS?

Oh well, I ordered it. No problem. When I went to Scanner Master, I could not buy the accessories. It seems as though all cases are out. I don't know if I the AC and/or DC adapters are need or if I can use a cheaper one per USB. I might buy that Spectrum Force 2DB gain rubber duck though.

Thanks for the help.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Oh well, I ordered it. No problem. When I went to Scanner Master, I could not buy the accessories. It seems as though all cases are out. I don't know if I the AC and/or DC adapters are need or if I can use a cheaper one per USB. I might buy that Spectrum Force 2DB gain rubber duck though.

Thanks for the help.

The AC and DC adapters are never a bad idea to have handy. You could get the adapters cheaper at wall-mart or on Amazon though. From what I've been reading, some USB ports don't put out as much current as others.

The Spectrum Force 2DB antenna is a good choice. Works really well on 700-800. Not to bad on the others either.

Have fun with your new toy!

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
436HP Hard Leather Case

If I were a leathersmith, I believe I could make some major bucks by fashioning a hard-leather case for the Uniden 436HP. No wonder demand has reduced the supply. I don't know about the volume of ordering that has been occurring since the radio came out, but I would imagine it is an impressive number. But, I would never ever take a radio outside of my front door without a really good hard-leather case. I am very clumsy when it comes to handling a handheld scanner. I drop them quite a bit.

Last edited:

kd7eir

I took your advice. I forgot the sales pitch they used regarding optimizing. I believe it had something to do with Geo-tagging. I still don't know what this entails yet. Do you have to Geo-Tag Tower sites like you do on a GRE PSR 500? Or is this related to GPS?

Thanks for the help.

You do not need to geotag anything on the BCD436HP. This "Set-up & Optimize Service" that Scannermaster offers, in my opinion, really tarnishes an otherwise relatively decent reputation.

The fact that they say it delays shipment of the scanner 7-14 business days is nothing less than a hoax designed to make the purchaser think that something special is being done. From the moment that someone opens the box to scanning your area based upon zip code can be as little as 10 minutes.

You were wise not to waste $29 on this "service." If you have any problems getting your new scanner Set-up & Optimized to work as you want it to, there are plenty of us here that will help you, from giving suggestions, to step-by-step instructions, all the way to creating complete favorites lists - all for the low, low price of FREE!

The learning curve can be steep - this scanner is like no other in the way that it operates, but advice is always just a post away.

Here are a couple links that can be very helpful:

1) This is Mark's Scanners "Easier to Read BCD436HP/BCD536HP
Digital Scanner Manual" Easier to Read BCD436/536HP Digital Scanner Manual

2) This is Mark's Scanners "Sentinel BCD436/536HP Software Manual" Sentinel BCDX36HP Software Manual

These two resources can save you HOURS of time trying to figure out how to operate the scanner and use the Sentinel software.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
Appreciate Support

You do not need to geotag anything on the BCD436HP. This "Set-up & Optimize Service" that Scannermaster offers, in my opinion, really tarnishes an otherwise relatively decent reputation.

The fact that they say it delays shipment of the scanner 7-14 business days is nothing less than a hoax designed to make the purchaser think that something special is being done. From the moment that someone opens the box to scanning your area based upon zip code can be as little as 10 minutes.

You were wise not to waste $29 on this "service." If you have any problems getting your new scanner Set-up & Optimized to work as you want it to, there are plenty of us here that will help you, from giving suggestions, to step-by-step instructions, all the way to creating complete favorites lists - all for the low, low price of FREE!

The learning curve can be steep - this scanner is like no other in the way that it operates, but advice is always just a post away.

Here are a couple links that can be very helpful:

1) This is Mark's Scanners "Easier to Read BCD436HP/BCD536HP
Digital Scanner Manual" Easier to Read BCD436/536HP Digital Scanner Manual

2) This is Mark's Scanners "Sentinel BCD436/536HP Software Manual" Sentinel BCDX36HP Software Manual

These two resources can save you HOURS of time trying to figure out how to operate the scanner and use the Sentinel software.

Over the years, I have learned to appreciate all of the helpful advice I've received in forums. I seriously doubt I could learned digital programming on my own. I did not touch my PSR 500 for an entire month. It was very intimidating.

Two of my scanner friends sent me files for me to examine and compare with my own needs. Yes, I am thankful that I did not purchase that optimize package. I was strongly advised against such a purchase.

At the suggestion of others, I've already downloaded Sentinel. I can now see how things are done. The quick keys and numbered keys are going to be a bit of a challenge. But, I'm sure they will be helpful down the road. At present, I am counting the toe taps on my feet, waiting on the radio to arrive, great impatience, LOL.

Thanks for all of the support and feedback.

DWW

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.