436HP Long Trailing EDACS Beep at End of Transmission

Status
Not open for further replies.

county

Premium Subscriber
Howdy-

I've noticed with my 436 while monitoring the Denver and Aurora, CO EDACS Standard analog systems that at end-of-transmission the radio does not mute the audio NEARLY as fast as my 396XT, resulting in that famous EDACS annoying EOT beep being quite audible.

While it's a barely audible chirp on my 396, it's a long half second (at least) beep on my 436. I've tried wide and narrow band types, and it doesn't track in narrow since wide is the correct mode. I'm also using the latest firmware - 1.02.07.

I haven't tried any other EDACS systems yet.

If there are any other settings I should check, please let me know. . could certainly be user error here.

I'm pleasantly surprised how good this sounds on the state P25 system here. . MUCH better audio fidelity than the 396/996 lines. . and faster response time to boot. . Im hearing the fast short transmissions my other radios miss.

Last edited:

markjrenna

I am getting a squelch burst at the end of each transmission.

My 780XLT does not do this but my new BCD436HP does.

I am only listening to Verona, NJ and they are EDACS.

Squelch has no effect at all so there is an issue and this needs to be addressed.

Last edited:

county

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for your reply. I agree this needs to be addressed. . In my case, 99% of my scanning is on analog EDACS. This radio is not a keeper for analog trunked scanning (for me) unless something is done. I'm sure it can be fixed with a firmware update. . just hope Uniden will take notice.

Last edited:

markjrenna

Extremely disappointed. My 780XLT is better than this new 436. Yeah if this can't be fixed it is going bye bye. UPMan are you there?

dtscho

Database Admin
Yes, I've noticed that the EDACS beep sounds longer on the 436 than on the 396XT, but the difference seems negligible. I'm pretty sure this is something that can be tightened up in a firmware update.

A few years ago, Uniden had to issue a few firmware updates to correct problems with not cutting off the EDACS beeps. And this was happening even when other previous scanners had "solved" this problem.

Dave

county

Premium Subscriber
I find the duration from end-of transmission to muted audio varies somewhat. When it's as long as a second, it prevents the radio from going immediately back to the control channel resulting in missed quick-replies on the same talk group (when comparing to the 396XT which does capture the quick-reply).

county

Premium Subscriber
Anyone know if the upcoming firmware update will address this issue?

Thanks!

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Interesting. My BCT15X only allows a tiny little "beep" lasting a fraction of a second at the end of the transmission, not at all bothersome.

I do not know if this is being addressed in the next firmware update or not. I never saw UPMan acknowledge this issue on this site.

K2KOH

Premium Subscriber
My 436 and 536 are performing well on the NYCOMCO system. I hear a quick chirp like the old BC245 had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

county

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the replies. I find the beep is almost undetectable on the 396XT/996XT, but lasts almost entirely for the first full beep, and sometimes the entire beep and beyond (~0.5-1.0s), on the Aurora, CO Trunked sytem: Aurora Trunking System, Aurora, Colorado - Scanner Frequencies

It's a nuisance, especially since the 396XT/996XT handle the system so well. Sometimes the lag is long enough to miss short-replies since the radio is still tied up on the voice-channel, not listening to the data channel.

aslc

Premium Subscriber
I have the same problem on both the 436 & 536. I get 3 one second beeps at the end of every transmission on local EDACS. I have an old Radio Shack scanner that monitors the same EDACS system with no beeps.

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
I'm having EDACS problems, too

Good morning.

I've posted a message elsewhere in this forum about the problems I'm having monitoring an analog EDACS system with my BCD436HP in northern New Mexico. (End of transmissions beeps, lack of sensitivity, "scannerbuster" noise bursts, etc.)

No problems with my other radios (396T, 396XT, PSR-500, PSR-800, or PRO-106) on this system.

I'm praying for a firmware upgrade that will address these issues.

-Johnnie

samccormack

Premium Subscriber
I noticed this as well with BART in the SF Bay Area. With my 396XT the cut off is immediate and I don't hear any beeps. With the 436 I hear 1 or 2

SCPD

QRT
New scanner woes

Extremely disappointed. My 780XLT is better than this new 436. Yeah if this can't be fixed it is going bye bye. UPMan are you there?

Well looky what i found,you are having the same problem I am having.Can you try this for me?
On the systems having a issue,turn on AGC.Let me know if the issue stops.
What system?Pm me!

county

Premium Subscriber
Well looky what i found,you are having the same problem I am having.Can you try this for me?
On the systems having a issue,turn on AGC.Let me know if the issue stops.
What system?Pm me!

Thanks for posting this! It's MUCH better for me on the Denver and Aurora CO EDACS systems. Still not quite as fast to mute the audio as the 396XT/996XT . . I do still hear a healthy chirp on my 436. .but again. . much improved. I'm estimating 250ms of chirp now as opposed to 500ms-1000ms before.

EDIT: will monitor this over time, and report back. . looks like sporadically some transmissions still seem to run long into the 1s range after EOT.

Nice contribution k2rty!

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
another finding 436/536

Another thing is if I set the Threshold to 9 ,it seems to work "acceptable" for phase 2 p25 audio.(less crackle)
Try this :
1.park the scanner on a Phase 2 system
2.Press the HOLD CHANNEL button on your 436 or 536
3.Do you hear a pop or crackle when there is audio on the channel?(when you press the button)

LIScanner101

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Does the LATEST firmware update just released by Uniden today cover the EDACS beep bug? Because if it does it indeed seems like this scanner is getting better and better...! Anyone?

kc5igh

Premium Subscriber
EDACS problems

I tried k2rty's suggestion about turning on the AGC for EDACS systems to minimize the end-of-transmission beeps. It doesn't seem to have made a difference.

My 436 continues to have problems with a local EDACS system (finding and locking on to the control channel, tracking, end-of-transmission beeps, scannerbuster noise blasts, low voice volume, high levels of background noise, etc.) compared to my other radios.

I'm getting tired of this. If this can't be fixed with a firmware upgrade, this will be the first radio I've ever tried to return for some kind of refund.

county

Premium Subscriber
So with more time using the AGC-ON I agree the issue with long EDACS beep isn't resolved. . it's better some of the time, but often still has the long beep at EOT. I don't really see a pattern. . seems random.

county

Premium Subscriber
I am quite pleased to report that at least preliminarily this issue appears to be SOLVED with the new firmware version 1.03.00, based on my subjective observation!

I will do some additional longevity tests, etc., as the previous issue seemed to vary over time, but it's already performing much better, muting the audio and returning to the control channel as fast as the 396XT/996XT.

Nice work, UPMan, and team!

Status
Not open for further replies.